PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Undercoating

marcel
05-31-2014, 01:16 PM
I am painstakingly removing the undercoating from my '83. Brake cleaner, nitrile gloves and an open window in the garage seem to be working. I have a front tire off now and it looks like the backside was undercoated as well. I washed the rim first and then noticed what looks like undercoating or paint. Should they be bare on the back side?

skipwater
05-31-2014, 02:10 PM
I had the same over spray of undercoating on my wheels. I stop using break clean and now use starting fluid. The reason I changed was break clean always left a film / discolor and cost.

I use this statement in the MILLENNIUM The DeLorean Concours judging handbook (http://delorean.hu/blog/DeLorean_Millennium_Concours_Handbook.pdf) to determine how much to remove of the under coating.
Original undercoating is permitted on ’83 model cars, however, the undercoating may compromise the ability to accurately judge some undercarriage components. For original undercoated cars, overspray that compromises the function of other components or adversely affects their performance is not acceptable and treated as foreign matter. For example, overspray is not acceptable on the fan shroud labels, inside of the wheels, or on any engine component (including the oil pan). There are other references to what needs to be cleaned.

DMCMW Dave
05-31-2014, 02:55 PM
I am painstakingly removing the undercoating from my '83. Brake cleaner, nitrile gloves and an open window in the garage seem to be working. I have a front tire off now and it looks like the backside was undercoated as well. I washed the rim first and then noticed what looks like undercoating or paint. Should they be bare on the back side?

The back side of the wheels should be clean but painted silver. I'd remove the undercoating overspray (and probably decades of brake dust, much harder).