PDA

View Full Version : General Broken key 10645

D Knight
06-01-2014, 11:57 AM
I had an interesting night at a local gas station. I filled up like normal. Got back in the car and prepare to put my key in and notice the last half is missing. Great. It snapped of in the ignition. Took a couple hours to go home and get the tools to remove the lock cylinder so I could drive home. So let this be a lesson-check your keys for cracks boys and girls. This was not fun at all. Even the "expert" locksmith couldn't get the broken piece out.

So my question is, does anyone have a blank lighted key they want to sell? I didn't see it on the DMC online store. 27766.

-D Knight-

D Knight
06-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Oops key number is 106245

-D Knight-

Dangermouse
06-01-2014, 12:49 PM
DMCH sell blanks of that key.

Well, most of it, less the battery and cover, which you luckily already have.

NightFlyer
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I had an interesting night at a local gas station. I filled up like normal. Got back in the car and prepare to put my key in and notice the last half is missing. Great. It snapped of in the ignition. Took a couple hours to go home and get the tools to remove the lock cylinder so I could drive home. So let this be a lesson-check your keys for cracks boys and girls. This was not fun at all. Even the "expert" locksmith couldn't get the broken piece out.

So my question is, does anyone have a blank lighted key they want to sell? I didn't see it on the DMC online store. 27766.

-D Knight-

That's the lighted door key used on early cars with the two key system, isn't it? Why did you have it in the ignition?

D Knight
06-01-2014, 03:47 PM
It's my ignition key.

-D Knight-

NightFlyer
06-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Interesting... are others like that as well, or it this something unique to your car?

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/keys.html

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/images/keys/keys.jpg

Left to right - Original Lighted Door Key, Production Ignition Key 109100, Later style lighted ignition/door key

I noticed that the bulb appears to stick out from the key head, more like the later style lighted ignition/door key, whereas in the original lighted door keys, the bulb did not.

I'm wondering if your key isn't a rebuild/hybrid of some sort from one of the vendors....

DMCMW Dave
06-01-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm wondering if your key isn't a rebuild/hybrid of some sort from one of the vendors....

DMCH was selling some illuminated keys that fit the ignition for a while.

NightFlyer
06-01-2014, 04:14 PM
DMCH was selling some illuminated keys that fit the ignition for a while.

Good to know - thanks Dave :thumbup:

dn010
06-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Mine did this but I was luck enough that the key still worked with the broken half still in the ignition cylinder. I took it apart eventually and got the rest of the key, but the cylinder lock doesn't seem to work like it used to...

D Knight
06-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Good catch on the bulb. It's actually an LED I installed a few years back. Way brighter than the factory incandescent bulb.

Dave, do you have parts to repair this? I'd like to keep this key.

-D Knight-