PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Block Passenger A/C vent

Lenny
06-03-2014, 08:09 AM
I remember reading a post about blocking the Passenger A/C Vent. I searched and can't find it.

Someone said there was an easy way to do it. I thought they said a Pringles lid would fit.

Other than the DMC plug has anyone found a quick way of doing this?

Michael
06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
The DMC vendor plugs block off the doorway entrance and I think are more for cosmetics than blocking airflow. IMO, the best place to block it off is remove the pipe completely and block off the exit from the center console using whatever will fit. Since it's out of sight it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it's air tight.

Lenny
06-03-2014, 08:16 AM
The DMC vendor plugs block off the doorway entrance and I think are more for cosmetics than blocking airflow. IMO, the best place to block it off is remove the pipe completely and block off the exit from the center console using whatever will fit. Since it's out of sight it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it's air tight.

Which is fine except for when my wife is in the car. I should have added that to the original post. I need to remove it.

I'm driving from Florida to DCS and want more A/C for the trip.

Michael
06-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh, well the pipes are not hard to remove but that could be a pain to have to do it over and over. Since you are going on a long trip alone, just slide the tube out from the console but leave it in position. Stick a big piece of closed cell foam or whatever will fit( making sure you can get it back out easily) then slide the hose back in place. Once you are home you can just start using the door plug..not as effective but much quicker.

SS Spoiler
06-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Stick a pair of rolled up black socks in the holes. Never know when you'll need a pair.

Jonathan
06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
A friend posted a photo of these recently. Not sure where he got them though.

http://instagram.com/p/oupyNqhrjq/#

Bitsyncmaster
06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
There are shut offs on each AC vent. It may not completely block the air but it should aid you for that temporary fix. I had forgot about the shut offs since you don't see that black knob on the black vents.

Lenny
06-03-2014, 10:07 AM
There are shut offs on each AC vent. It may not completely block the air but it should aid you for that temporary fix. I had forgot about the shut offs since you don't see that black knob on the black vents.

Don't you hate it when you do stupid stuff:mad1: I've done some really stupid stuff in my life, the best part is later looking back and laughing at myself.

I should have a t-shirt that says "I'm a man I do stupid stuff"

If a man makes a decision in the woods by himself is he still wrong.

When I was about 13 a neighbor was cutting down a huge tree a friend of mine and I climbed the tree and rocked back in forth to help the tree fall sooner. I figured that the branches that would cushion us as we were in the center. Nope!!! It took me 10 minutes to find the breath that got knocked out of me. I'm lucky I wasn't killed it was a about 60 feet tall and we were up about 40 feet.

I really want to block the air, mine leaks at the door seal and the vent itself. the best idea is the black socks ;)

Addy
06-15-2014, 11:08 PM
I found this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Optronics/A56GB.html

I picked up a pair to try, as I wanted more air coming from the center as well. I found that they fit great in the door, if you remove the trim ring. Easy install, less than five minutes. Good seal, no air coming through the vents on the doors anymore.

sdg3205
06-16-2014, 03:34 AM
As Michael mentioned, remove the ducting from the HVAC box to the doors completely (but not the ducting IN the doors).

Cut a soda can in half, the bottom will fit perfectly over the opening in the box. Use electrical tape to seal it. Repeat on the other side. Works great, and hey it's aluminum like the rest of the car ;)

jawn101
06-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Does doing this actually make a noticeable difference in the airflow in the car? My doors and vents seal well and there isn't much lost air at all, but I am *always* looking for ways to improve the A/C in there.

sdg3205
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Meh. Probably. It's tough to gauge, but if I put both front vents on me I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel

Lenny
06-19-2014, 09:07 PM
I closed the passenger vent and there is a noticeable increase in the flow from the center vent. I used the DMC plug but could still feel cold air sneaking around the edges so I put a pair of Black (I didn't have the right shade of grey :) ) socks behind it.

jawn101
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
I closed the passenger vent and there is a noticeable increase in the flow from the center vent. I used the DMC plug but could still feel cold air sneaking around the edges so I put a pair of Black (I didn't have the right shade of grey :) ) socks behind it.

Nice :) Does it help with overall cooling performance? (by which I mean, do you feel cooler faster - not is the air actually colder)

Lenny
06-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Nice :) Does it help with overall cooling performance? (by which I mean, do you feel cooler faster - not is the air actually colder)

Unequivocally Yes. More air flow makes you feel cooler. take a pair of socks and block the passenger air vent and test it.

Tillsy
06-19-2014, 11:54 PM
I still haven't prioritised getting my aircon working yet, but I did seal off one (left) door's vent a long while back.

The increased airflow has absolutely made an immense difference in our scorching Aussie summer days.

I must get around to blocking the other one, and more importantly get the aircon working... always more important projects to get done on the car first though :)