PDA

View Full Version : General Wondering who else has these parts.

Delorean3610
06-03-2014, 01:59 PM
When I got my D this January, it came with the factory spoiler and twin turbos. The previous owner kept every receipt and piece of paperwork he ever got. So it was not difficult to find out that the spoiler and front skirt extension were in fact options offered.27792

He also informed us that the turbos were the ones J.DeLorean planned to put on the car. The newspaper clipping in the binder he gave us also proved that correct.27793

My question is, how many other cars had the same. Do any of you guys have the same spoiler or turbos?

BABIS
06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
pictures of the engine?

Delorean3610
06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
pictures of the engine?

Mark D
06-03-2014, 02:35 PM
I could be wrong here but to my knowledge no cars actually left the factory with turbos...several were shipped out to 3rd party companies (IE Legend Industries) and modified.

I don't believe any cars came with spoilers from the factory either. If it's original to the car it would have had to have been installed by a dealership or a previous owner.

Can someone else confirm what is correct?

Bikercmbc
06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
yeah, thats an island twin turbo set-up, its after market. none came from factory with twin turbo set-up, this was what legends industries was developing (vin 502) that would go on future cars, but correct none are factory twin turbo cars. nor is the wing, its after market. only dealer options were the two variation in side stripes, floor mats, luggage rack/ski rack.

clearly states in third paragraph in the posting you have, pict 2 "these are the ones prepared by new york's MD engineering"

NightFlyer
06-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm not aware of any factory spoilers.

Pics of the engine appear to be of the Island Twin Turbo kit (a draw thru system). Factory authorized turbo charging was only done on test cars by Legend Industries to my knowledge, which were all blow thru systems (both single and twin turbo designs).

PJ Grady Europe has the best info about the turbo cars on their website:

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Legend_Industries&ShowContent=Home_of_Legend.html

Delorean3610
06-03-2014, 03:01 PM
I didn't mean from factory, my bad on poor wording. But dealer/aftermarket seems like a better term. Sorry for the confusion.

But does anyone else have these?

Dangermouse
06-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I didn't mean from factory, my bad on poor wording. But dealer/aftermarket seems like a better term. Sorry for the confusion.

But does anyone else have these?

Yes, there are probably dozens of cars with the Island Twin Turbo system.

Bikercmbc
06-03-2014, 03:10 PM
ok, yes. the island twin turbos and BAE single turbo cars were the most widely used set up. I know one owner up in nashville that has the island set-up and another owner down in Atlanta that has the BAE set-up. every once in a while a used twin turbo kit will come up for sale.

as far as the rear wing, the only owner i knew of one that had a wing like that, he was from jacksonville, FLA, and pretty sure his car caught on fire. I think he said it was made for another car like a camaro or something but it fits perfectly on the D's

Domi
06-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Eleanor A. Roger use to sell that turbo kit.
Here is 3 pictures, I may scan document I received many years ago if someone is interested?

NightFlyer
06-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Patrick C (formerly of Ohio, currently of northern Michigan) has a spoiler on his car.

D Knight
06-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Looks like a third gen firebird spoiler to me

-D Knight-

Nicholas R
06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Patrick C (formerly of Ohio, currently of northern Michigan) has a spoiler on his car.

Looks like a third gen firebird spoiler to me

-D Knight-

He does; and I believe that's exactly what it was, a trans am spoiler. Definitely not a factory part. Hopefully Patrick can chime in with more specifics.