PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Buzzing from upper of door

Bitsyncmaster
06-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I have developed a buzzing sound that I think is in the area of the upper rear door. It happen only when driving on the road at most any speed but not always there. I did open the door at a slow speed and if stopped the buzz.

I also noticed that the door strut ball has angled on that drivers side. It was not angled before which is why I did not install the retrofit kit on that side. So I'm going to install that drivers side kit and see it that stops the buzz.

Has anyone experienced that same buzzing?

DMCMW Dave
06-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I have developed a buzzing sound that I think is in the area of the upper rear door. It happen only when driving on the road at most any speed but not always there. I did open the door at a slow speed and if stopped the buzz.
?

Trick question. Where is the rear door on a DeLorean?

JohnZ
06-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Maybe "rear area of the door"..

Bitsyncmaster
06-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Up near your ear when driving in the car. It probably is a buzz elsewhere but just hoping someone else has found a solution.

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2014, 05:14 AM
I've got these door strut upgrades.

http://deloreannewparts.com/store/page14.html

I've misplaced the install directions after doing the passenger side but pretty sure I can do the drivers side without the instructions. But I was wondering if I should fill the gap where the new ball stud is located with RTV to prevent water from getting in. The OEM ball stud was not sealed but I don't have the outer door seal on that top section (not sure if I will ever get a new seal).

Flash66
06-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Only if we're experiencing the same buzz. Wrap a small amount of electrical tape around the rear door striker. That's the rear striker on the front door lol! Insulate various parts of the door jam with tape systematically. You also may need to drive with your door panel off and with your left hand touch the door linkage etc with your hand. When the buzz stops, modify accordingly.

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Only if we're experiencing the same buzz. Wrap a small amount of electrical tape around the rear door striker. That's the rear striker on the front door lol! Insulate various parts of the door jam with tape systematically. You also may need to drive with your door panel off and with your left hand touch the door linkage etc with your hand. When the buzz stops, modify accordingly.

Those are good suggestions. Thanks.

Flash66
06-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Those noises are tricky. The culprit could be behind the door panel and just resonating by your ear. Good luck!

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Maybe "rear area of the door"..

Yes I was to quick with my typing.

jmettee
06-05-2014, 07:47 AM
My only thought after replacing the riveted door seals: perhaps the remainder of a rivet is inside the door from previous replacement of the top door seal & is vibrating inside the door?

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2014, 07:57 AM
My only thought after replacing the riveted door seals: perhaps the remainder of a rivet is inside the door from previous replacement of the top door seal & is vibrating inside the door?

That could be but I did those seals about 4 years ago so I would think the rivets have fallen by now. I also think the buzz is to loud for that to be the cause.

I found the rear trim on the door creeks when I press it. So I stuck some foam under that and will road test later today.

Bitsyncmaster
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
I ended up doing the drivers side door strut brace and I did not get the buzz on a test drive this morning. That's not saying it's fixed since it's cool (70 deg. F) for that first test but time will tell.

vwdmc16
06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Loose t panel perhaps?

Bitsyncmaster
06-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Loose t panel perhaps?

Not the T panel but maybe the plastic "drip gutter" was not bolted tight down to the fiberglass underneath.

It's funny that strut ball seemed to go from looking straight to defiantly being bent in about 6 months. Actually the ball is not bent but the bracket or glass that holds it let go.

Bitsyncmaster
06-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Well the buzz is not gone. I drove over an hour without any buzz but then turned on the AC and it started again. But it only lasted 5 or 10 min.