PDA

View Full Version : General 1983 DeLorean in Long Island New York

1batt4u
06-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Hi all!

Someone told me of a DeLorean out in LI NY. This was in November 2013. I only saw it once back then, but went again recently to see it, and still there. Its for sale, and older woman getting rid of it, her husband passed away 2-3 years ago. Car was in garage till October 2013, they started it and drove it outside. Been sitting outside through, rain, snow, and other stuff.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2gvpkx0.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/j12c15.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/33mq0xh.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/r1y0rb.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/aw2j36.jpg

Here are some issues with the car and need advice.

The battery is disconnected because the woman said when the cars running it wouldn't turn off even after the key was turned off. Anyone ever hear of that??

When I went in again recently to see and hear the car run, the battery was dead. She said she needs to get it charged. So I went in again 45 minute drive, she said her daughter was supposed to have it charged but didn't, waste of my time.

So I went it again and brought in my own battery, Brand New, Red Top Optima, just in case anyone asks what kind. Nothing at all, no crank at all. I heard fuel pump make a slight noise, but no engine crank or any other kind of noise. At one point, seemed like it was trying to do something, crank or something, dont know. At one point a little smoke started coming out of back of car, right where the air intake is, behind S/S rear passenger panel. Don't know why it did that. Also clutch doesn't work, no fluid in bottle, I guess it has a leak somewhere.

Any ideas??

Car does need work anyway, engine definitely, undercarriage needs work, interior need work, new carpets, headliners, seals, looks like some water leaks in, has a smell to it, and I touched carpet seemed moist, some things have been tampered with, Electrical work, car has some kind of alarm system on it, and one that has a key lock to cut off ignition it seems.

I am trying to work a deal with her. Any suggestions on a price based on what I described?

Flash66
06-05-2014, 05:00 AM
There is so much to list of what you should do before you purchase the car, and hoping it's not going to be a major ordeal costing you thousands and many months of your life to bring this car back from the dead. It all depends how much money you're willing to spend and how much work you're willing to do, plus your time. You can surface guess what the cosmetics will cost in materials pretty easily, then factor in your time, patience, and where you see yourself in the end. Happy or not happy due to the dynamics involved in its semi or complete restoration. I also want to mention the unknown! From experience always ask yourself, "What am I getting myself into here?"I guess my advice in the end is, depending on your budget, if you're looking for a very good cheap deal on a fixer upper and don't mind spending upwards of 5-10K on the car and not in a rush, go for it and make a sweet deal on a car that needs a ton of work and investment. Also what is the owners wife thinking for a price? Does she know the value? As it sits, and you buy it as is start at 3k and work from there. Be smart and at this price or close you're safe. The left fender is worth that alone and you can actually make money on the car parting it out if it's a wash. If you get it running at her house the price will just go up. Be smart, don't over spend or talk too much, just buy a cheap heap that doesn't run and roll with it. We'll all help you get that baby on the road once it's in your garage! Also if you do have the cash for a good D ready to go, there's plenty out there you could be driving this summer. Just saying.. Hope this helps and good luck!

Flash66
06-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Lol! I didn't realize you already own one! I'm sure you know what you're doing. Hope it all works out nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmettee
06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Yeesh! If the owner wants to sell, but can’t even get a battery charger amongst a couple family members….I’m guessing they also think they are sitting on a goldmine & will laugh at the reasonable sale value that you would offer. The body & interior look decent, sounds like you need new carpet (due to water damage) & maybe headliners & might be able to get away with everything else being good from what I can see in the pics. The engine looks crusty & rusty. If it didn’t turn over at all, it could be that alarm OR it could be rusted/seized. That’s your big unknown. If the frame is good, then I would say this is a good project car to save with the biggest unknown being the engine.

Do you believe the owner or do you suspect it’s been sitting longer than they say? Was it driven regularly before the owner passed? With the pics & description you give (assuming the frame is good), I think $3k-$4k is what this thing is worth. If the engine would at least crank, that would increase value – but given a good battery won’t make anything happen, it’s just a sign of more underlying problems.

Dangermouse
06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I suspect they pushed, rather than drove, the car out of the garage. The deceased PO could have tripped the inertia switch when he parked it as a theft deterrent but none of the other family members knew about it.

If it was even trying to start, then you could guess that it is "just" a fuel issue from sitting so long and price the repairs accordingly. But if it is seized then that is a whole other thing.

Maybe $6-7k as the panels look in good shape

I assume you got the VIN ?

OverlandMan
06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I see a lot of surface rust in the engine compartment. Have you looked at the frame or underneath the car at all?

Are you looking at it for yourself or someone else? If the frame is gone then I'd call it a parts car. Otherwise, it looks like a decent long-term project for someone willing to dump some cash into it. I'd guess somewhere in the $6k-8k range... but that's with a lot of unknowns. If the frame is gone, I'd go sub 4k. The stainless panels, especially the LFF will turn a profit at that point... provided they're all in good shape.

I'd check out the fuel system first before I tried to start it again. Jump the RPM relay and see if you can hear the fuel pumps. Look for any leaks or obvious signs of trouble. Maybe smell the gas and see if it's old. Based off the info provided, my gut says this one might need a complete fuel system tear-down and rebuild if it's been sitting for a while. Sounds like some electrical issues too seeing as the owner says to it won't turn off with the key. Check the relay compartment and see if the wiring is stock or hacked. If hacked, run for the hills... J/K.

uhhair
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Take a good, hard look at the frame before anything else. While the engine isn't cranking, based on your description of the car and knowing that it ran a couple of years ago, the engine probably will crank if you can figure out the electrical issues.

If the frame is shot though, probably worth more in parts than anything else, as a frame replacement is exceedingly expensive.

Do you plan to do your own work on the car? That to me is the biggest variable in the price you can pay for it.

All being said, I wouldn't go over $5k for a non-runner with multiple issues. If the frame is bad, I wouldn't go over $3.

Domi
06-05-2014, 03:12 PM
I assume you got the VIN ?

+1 :biggrin:
The engine is a little bit rusty, don't try to turn it on without cleaning all the fuel system and all the fluid.

1batt4u
06-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Well, I made a good deal. Paint house and 2 car garage in exchange for car.

I went in power washed her ranch house and garage today. Gonna paint it in a couple of days. Spent several hours on the house, almost 8 hours. Had a friend help, gonna pay him.

I'll take my chance with the car, since I am in middle of putting my car together and done so much on it, I know it inside out, and I made a good deal. Told her car needs a lot of work, gonna take it apart and rebuild it.

Frame has some normal rust on it, nothing bad.

I didn't get a chance to see the VIN number, went in real quick, was short notice, and worked non stop today.

Lets see what I got my self into.

Flash66
06-06-2014, 12:17 AM
You practically stole it dude! Awesome! Congrats.

OverlandMan
06-06-2014, 09:02 AM

I went in power washed her ranch house and garage today. Gonna paint it in a couple of days. Spent several hours on the house, almost 8 hours. Had a friend help, gonna pay him.

I'll take my chance with the car, since I am in middle of putting my car together and done so much on it, I know it inside out, and I made a good deal. Told her car needs a lot of work, gonna take it apart and rebuild it.

Frame has some normal rust on it, nothing bad.

I didn't get a chance to see the VIN number, went in real quick, was short notice, and worked non stop today.

Lets see what I got my self into.

Awesome man! Nice work. Keep us posted on how everything works out and post some pics when you get it in your possession.

Dangermouse
06-06-2014, 12:11 PM
F#@k me, that's a deal right there!!

Beautiful irony that you will paint her house and get an unpainted car in return

Denverdelorean
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
that's a killer deal. I would have done that just for the LFF!

skill
06-06-2014, 02:54 PM

W@W! Congrats! What a deal! I gotta share that story! Good luck with it! :)

1batt4u
06-07-2014, 11:36 PM
So I was supposed to go in tomorrow, Sunday, to start painting woman's house. She calls me around 8pm, thinking what time to show up tomorrow and confirm the paint to be used. She said there's a problem. Her neighbor came to her and asked who power washed the house, she said she thought he needed someone to do work him, but he was complaining about the power washing and debris that fell off the house, and that I needed a permit to power wash. The way she was saying it didn't sound right.

Her property is around 1 acre, full of huge trees all around, can not see her neighbors at all, I had a good view of her property when I was there. I even told her no way anyone good see us power washing the house, she said the guy had construction workers at her house and they saw us power washing the house and told the owner of the house. Sounds like BS!!!

I told her I would come in a clean all the debris that fell off the house, it is part of the job, I just couldn't the other day, because I was there all day and was getting dark. Then she says I can't come anyway to paint because house is soaked from power washing. I really doubt it, is been sunny and warm here past few days. I told her I'll come and just clean up the debris, and ask her neighbor whats wrong. She told me no I can't, he'll have me reported and she doesn't want me coming in her son that lives in Upstate NY will be there and I shouldn't be there.

Something not right. I think she is playing me!!!! And she is in her late 60's. She had mentioned her son had been telling her for 2 years that he wanted to have the car fixed and sold for a high price, which he never did, but I have a feeling he has something to do with this mess.

1batt4u
06-07-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm so upset now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad1:

Nicholas R
06-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Sounds like he got wind of your deal and doesn't like it, so she's trying to back out of it. Unfortunately, since she possesses the keys and title, the ball is 100% in her court.

1batt4u
06-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Sounds like he got wind of your deal and doesn't like it, so she's trying to back out of it. Unfortunately, since she possesses the keys and title, the ball is 100% in her court.

Thats another thing she had no title, she had to find it. Cause her ex-husband had divorced her, and when he passed she went back to his house to live and trying to sell off things. She mentioned she had to split all the money with the kids.

Nicholas R
06-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Thats another thing she had no title, she had to find it. Cause her ex-husband had divorced her, and when he passed she went back to his house to live and trying to sell off things. She mentioned she had to split all the money with the kids.

Uh... What? Her dead ex husband? I'm pretty sure she has no right to the car then. If they were divorced and the car was in his name, it's not her car. It's whoever he left it to, his next of kin or the arbiter of his estate, which definitely does not sound like her. I'm pretty sure she can't legally sell you that car. I believe his eldest child then is likely the arbiter (sounds like the son). Sounds like she told him she made a deal to get rid of the Delorean and that he needed to sign over the title, and the son said "f*** that; end of story." Then she called you to let you down easy. There is no way she is selling that car without it going through the kids.

No matter what, don't do anything further until you know without a doubt that she not only has the title in her possession (look at it), and that she has the authority to sign it over. Otherwise you're just doing free yard work, or going to be the owner of a stolen Delorean.

1batt4u
06-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Uh... What? Her dead ex husband? I'm pretty sure she has no right to the car then. If they were divorced and the car was in his name, it's not her car. It's whoever he left it to, his next of kin or the arbiter of his estate, which definitely does not sound like her. I'm pretty sure she can't legally sell you that car. I believe his eldest child then is likely the arbiter (sounds like the son). Sounds like she told him she made a deal to get rid of the Delorean and that he needed to sign over the title, and the son said "f*** that; end of story." Then she called you to let you down easy. There is no way she is selling that car without it going through the kids.

No matter what, don't do anything further until you know without a doubt that she not only has the title in her possession (look at it), and that she has the authority to sign it over. Otherwise you're just doing free yard work, or going to be the owner of a stolen Delorean.

Thank you for the info/advice!!

I'll call her Monday to see whats going on.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-08-2014, 11:29 AM

I'll have to agree with Nick, this woman sounds a little scatter brained. It's too bad she got your hopes up, but she should have been honest with you instead of making up that story. I would also leave it alone.

Andrew
06-09-2014, 05:29 PM
I've never heard of a permit requirement for power washing...sounds like a load of B.S. to me.

Sadly, there is an old saying "when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is." Just be thankful that you hadn't finished painting the house (and paying for paint and a helper) only to have her pull this B.S. As the ex-wife of the deceased former owner, it sounds like she has no ownership interest in the DeLorean whatsoever. Without knowing the underlying details of the estate, it's impossible to know who really has the authority to sell the car.

However, with that said, it might still be worth some follow-up and persistance. Once you determine who has the authority to sell the car, you can attempt to educate that person regarding the value of a DeLorean in that condition and the amount of time / money that would be required in a restoration. If they dont believe you, tell them to contact Rob Grady in West Sayville to verify your assessment.

Good luck!

Flash66
06-09-2014, 07:08 PM
She's totally back peddling on you. Unfortunately you probably won't get the truth out of her. Here's how I would handle this. Since you want the car, go online and print out a wish list on DMCH with everything the car needs, and include everything. Then factor in around 100 hours of labor, plus the cost of an engine rebuild and mark this as possible since it doesn't run. Hand it to her with a 4000.00 cash offer in writing minus 350.00 for pressure washing the house. Just say politely that "I have no idea what your situation is and its your business" I'm just a DeLorean owner and enthusiast who knows what the car is worth and what it will take. The longer it sits, the worse off it will be. I'm making you a very fair offer and I'll just leave this with you to ponder over. You have my phone number and I hope you'll call. If you decide to finish what we started, that fine as well. As crappy as the situation is, this is probably the best way to handle it. Leave it alone and it'll work out hopefully sooner than later.

1batt4u
06-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Well, I called her. She said she called in 2 people to look over her house for a quote and the power washing I did. She said I caused $1,200 damage to her house. :hmm: :headscratch:

She said I damaged her shingles. I can say one small area had a etching sort of from power washing, because when my friend first started the power washing he was very close, but backed up. I told he rI would gladly fix it.

She also had every answer ready. She was prepared for all this BSing!! smh! She was like 2 different people from when I started to now.

She told me she doesn't want me to come in at all, that's it. She mentioned her son will just pick up the car and take it upstate NY to fix it really quick and sell it.

I also left my hose and expensive extension cord there, told her gotta pick them up Wednesday.

I don't know what to say anymore about people in this world!!

eagle-co94
06-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Yeah, sounds like you got totally played. Sorry to hear about that. I've looked into several DeLoreans over the years and I was 4 hrs into a 10 hour drive to go look at and buy a DeLorean when the woman called and told me that the car was in the name of her boyfriend's dead father or something like that. I told her to call me as soon as she had either a title in her name, or a signed title that I could sign. I wasn't going that far for a car I couldn't put into my name immediately. Needless to say I never heard from her again. I'll take that 8 hour drive as a nice lesson and a LOT of saved trouble!

I'd follow up in a few months and see if the car is still there.

Rich_NYS
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Did she mention where upstate?

1batt4u
06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
No, don't know.

Dangermouse
06-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Pity we didn't know the vin or we could wait for it to reappear either fixed or as a project car.

OverlandMan
06-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Well, I called her. She said she called in 2 people to look over her house for a quote and the power washing I did. She said I caused $1,200 damage to her house. :hmm: :headscratch:

She said I damaged her shingles. I can say one small area had a etching sort of from power washing, because when my friend first started the power washing he was very close, but backed up. I told he rI would gladly fix it.

She also had every answer ready. She was prepared for all this BSing!! smh! She was like 2 different people from when I started to now.

She told me she doesn't want me to come in at all, that's it. She mentioned her son will just pick up the car and take it upstate NY to fix it really quick and sell it.

I also left my hose and expensive extension cord there, told her gotta pick them up Wednesday.

I don't know what to say anymore about people in this world!!

People can be very chicken-*hit sometimes. I got the run around from the owner of the first D I tried to buy locally. Hey, at least you've already got one, right?

1batt4u
06-11-2014, 05:21 PM
People can be very chicken-*hit sometimes. I got the run around from the owner of the first D I tried to buy locally. Hey, at least you've already got one, right?

Yes, I already have one. It is under work. Hopefully it will be ready around the summer.

1batt4u
06-11-2014, 05:27 PM
So I went to pick up my stuff in the afternoon.

I had called her before I went it, let her know I was coming. I told her I would be there within the hour. I was there within 40 minutes, no traffic. She has a driveway that goes slightly up hill to the house and where garage is. She had the driveway blocked with garbage cans and pieces of wood and she was standing there in front with her arms crossed. I don't know what to say, she was waiting all that time there with her arms crossed and driveway blocked, as if its my fault or something. smh. What a nut she is!!

I also noticed the car was not there. I guess her son already took it.

Flash66
06-11-2014, 07:07 PM
You're dealing with a total fruit loop dude. Take the loss of whatever you left there and just deal with it because the next encounter would be involving the authorities. Totally not worth it. I've come across nutty people from time to time in daily business. There are some mentalities out there that would just floor you in amazement. This being a classic case. I'm just glad to hear you already own a D. Don't worry man, good things can come out of a bad situation like this. In the long run, she probably did you a favor and saved you thousands of dollars by not getting this car.

Andrew
10-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Is this the car same car that was the subject of this thread?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Other-DELOREAN-RARE-1982-DELOREAN-DMC-12-BACK-TO-THE-FUTURE-5SP-LOW-MILES-/381020592439?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58b698d937&item=381020592439&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_6134wt_1358

Dangermouse
10-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't think so, based on the mystery pushbutton on the center console in the OP car, being missing in the ebay car

1batt4u
10-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Thats not it. The one I was going to get was in better shape.

PJ Grady Inc.
10-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I am curious to see if I've ever delt with this person. If you can't get the VIN do you at least know her name and the town the car's in?

1batt4u
10-16-2014, 08:25 PM
I am curious to see if I've ever delt with this person. If you can't get the VIN do you at least know her name and the town the car's in?

PM sent!

PJ Grady Inc.
10-18-2014, 05:55 PM
PM sent!

Never got it!

1batt4u
10-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Never got it!

I PMed you Thursday night. I will resend.