PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Need help identifying extra wire on jump lead pick up post.

dblincoln3
06-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Hello,
I just noticed tonight that I have this green wire attached to the jump lead pick up post and I am hoping someone can help me identify what it is and why it is there. It is spliced to a blue wire that is coming out of the pontoon and passing through a hole in the white connector. There is not terminal in that bottom white connector slot, only a hole allowing the blue wire coming out of the pontoon to pass through the connector and into the blue splice sleeve.

27856 27857

Thanks.

DMCMW Dave
06-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Hello,
I just noticed tonight that I have this green wire attached to the jump lead pick up post and I am hoping someone can help me identify what it is and why it is there. It is spliced to a blue wire that is coming out of the pontoon and passing through a hole in the white connector. There is not terminal in that bottom white connector slot, only a hole allowing the blue wire coming out of the pontoon to pass through the connector and into the blue splice sleeve.

Thanks.

You are going to have to go inside the car and find the other end of it. Certainly not OEM. Probably a creative (using the term loosely) method of powering a stereo or such.

dblincoln3
06-07-2014, 10:32 PM
I bought a float charger, which I planned attaching to that post. Do you see any problems attaching it there with the extra wire? What is the best way of getting into the pontoon to see where the wire goes? Also do you know if that connector should have a third wire running somewhere else, or did it originally only have two wires coming through the wall into the connector? Thanks.

You are going to have to go inside the car and find the other end of it. Certainly not OEM. Probably a creative (using the term loosely) method of powering a stereo or such.

Spittybug
06-07-2014, 10:58 PM
No problem connecting the float charger to it.

As for what it is, my guess is someone added an aftermarket stereo and that was the "always on" power. Or an amp. Or additional interior lighting. Or a cruise control. Pull the rear panel off (below rear window) and look into the area behind the passenger fuse box area. You should be able to trace it from there.

dblincoln3
06-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I pulled the rear panel off below the back window and traced the wire from the engine into the fuse box area. As best I can tell, with the quick look that I took, it appears that wire is running to the starter relay? I will have to remove the mount for that bank of relays tomorrow when I have more time so that I can look at the underside to confirm, but would that make sense or be possible for that relay to be powered from there and have the car start properly, as it has been doing? If someone was trying to supply power to that relay from an alternate source, I don't know why they went all the way out there instead of using the terminal where all the other red wires are joined in one spot just to to far above there.

No problem connecting the float charger to it.

As for what it is, my guess is someone added an aftermarket stereo and that was the "always on" power. Or an amp. Or additional interior lighting. Or a cruise control. Pull the rear panel off (below rear window) and look into the area behind the passenger fuse box area. You should be able to trace it from there.

jmpdmc
06-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Maybe the PO tried to do this in a creative way: http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/starterfix.html

Jeff

David T
06-08-2014, 09:41 PM
No matter where you decide to hook up your charger put an inline fuse in the positive lead as close as you can to where you connect it to the car.