PDA

View Full Version : General Inside grab handle bolts---my method.

Rich_NYS
06-08-2014, 03:51 PM
I saw it mentioned a few times the difficulty of re-installing the two bolts that secure the door grab-handle.

Here's the method I used; it's what I do with most every PITA-hard-to-reach bolt/nut/screw.

I use one of these:

To grab the bolt like this:

I use one hand to hold the grab-handle and align the holes, the other hand and "spin" the grabber-thing to thread the bolt into the holes. You can see in the pics I threaded it almost entirely into the hole using this method. I then used a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm short socket & extension to tighten it.

It was the easiest part of the job.

27865 27866

DMCMW Dave
06-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Wrap some duct tape around the bolt head and stick it into the socket. It will stay there but let go once started.

robvanderveer
06-08-2014, 04:08 PM
i use a phillips screwdriver in one of the holes to align the bracket handle, and use tape to put a bolt on the other hole. if done correctly, you have two free hands to put the bolt in. tip: grind off a bit of the bolt so it becomes pointy. when that one is in, remove the screwdriver and put in the second bolt.

JohnZ
06-08-2014, 05:18 PM
I remember once I taped together two sockets (to do that job) and it came out a longer socket... rude but useful!

Tillsy
06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Wrap some duct tape around the bolt head and stick it into the socket. It will stay there but let go once started.

This is the approach I came up too, never had a problem.

ALEXAKOS
06-09-2014, 02:57 AM

+1
That is the good method, as long as the duct tape can be pulled off after tightening the bolt.

I either use some cardboard to jam the bolt into the socket or if not stainless bolt, I attach a magnet on to the socket. Makes the socket magnetic;)

If the bolt goes too deep into the socket, just add a couple of nuts to keep the bolt projecting the socket.

Rich_NYS
06-09-2014, 12:40 PM
So, what you guys are trying to tell me is that you don't like my method! -LOL! :mallet:

ALEXAKOS
06-09-2014, 12:59 PM
So, what you guys are trying to tell me is that you don't like my method! -LOL! :mallet:

Uhmmm
No we just don't own such a cool tool so we have to go about this task with every household item we have :P

Rich_NYS
06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Uhmmm
No we just don't own such a cool tool so we have to go about this task with every household item we have :P

Hahaha....! :cheers:

Farrar
06-09-2014, 03:08 PM
I have the same tool and have used that method before. Works for me. :)

ALEXAKOS
06-09-2014, 03:22 PM
I have the same tool and have used that method before. Works for me. :)

Wise guy!:clown:
hehehehe

dn010
06-10-2014, 08:50 AM
If you put the bolt in a socket and then attempt to fasten it with the door open, you won't drop it.

JohnZ
06-10-2014, 05:05 PM
OR you must find a veery long phillips screwdriver (as long as I remember :headscratch: ) and screw the entire handle assembly by the door's sides... but I admit that that's impractical.

D Knight
06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
I used to put the 2 Phillips screws in with a long driver but find it's much easier to install the two grab handle bracket bolts.

-D Knight-

bfloyd
08-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Reviving an older thread as opposed to starting a new one....

Putting my door panels back on last night after replacing the window regulator, I could easily get one of the bolts in (under the door release latch) with a 1/4" socket extension. How do you get the front one it? Can the power mirror switch come out without damaging it? Can't really find any information as to how it's held in place. If I could get that switch out, it looks as if the front bolt hole would be easily accessible. Any help here?

Chris 16409
08-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Hahaha....! :cheers:

Rich, I have that tool too! I just never thought to use it for that application. Looks cool. I'll have to try it the next time I have my grab handles off.

dn010
08-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Take the escutcheon off and then remove the switch. You will pull the switch up and disconnect the the wiring at the harness, not the wiring on the bottom of the switch - you'll have to pull the wiring up a little bit to get to the connector. When removing the switch be careful the switch doesn't separate and also as mentioned the wiring doesn't come apart on the bottom of the switch. The switch just pulls right out, it is not fastened in any way, I believe the escutcheon holds it in place.

Reviving an older thread as opposed to starting a new one....

Putting my door panels back on last night after replacing the window regulator, I could easily get one of the bolts in (under the door release latch) with a 1/4" socket extension. How do you get the front one it? Can the power mirror switch come out without damaging it? Can't really find any information as to how it's held in place. If I could get that switch out, it looks as if the front bolt hole would be easily accessible. Any help here?

dn010
08-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Might also be wise to mention that when pulling the switch out, if you do not disconnect your battery prior to removal- be careful that the blade connectors on the bottom of the switch do not contact any of the door metal parts.

Rich_NYS
08-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Rich, I have that tool too! I just never thought to use it for that application. Looks cool. I'll have to try it the next time I have my grab handles off.

Works pretty good under the dash too! :thumbup: