PDA

View Full Version : Engine squealing water pump?

delorean928
06-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Hi, after taking out VIN 3425 after much work including the famous water pump change. Everything is fine and the bleeding of the heating system went very well.
After around 3 to 4 hours engine running I began hearing a squealing noise (high frequency noise) when the engine warms up. It looks like it comes from the water pump. Does any body got a noisy water pump?
I bought my pump new on EBay from a guy who was writing that he had it too much but at reception I found the name of his company on the box and he is one of the DeLorean parts seller :(
So he probably sold the pump on eBay because of a defective batch or something like that :angry_whip: The pump does'nt have a bolted pulley it is press fit.

Patrick C
06-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Make sure the bolts on the w-pipe on the air intake are tight. That can make a squealing/whistling noise if air is escaping.

David T
06-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Run the motor without the belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does you have bad bearings either in the water pump or the alternator. How tight did you make the belt?

delorean928
06-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Make sure the bolts on the w-pipe on the air intake are tight. That can make a squealing/whistling noise if air is escaping.

Thank you for your answer. I'll checked the bolts again but they have been torqued to the right value with new gaskets. If they were not tight the noise would be because air is sipping in not escaping right?

delorean928
06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Run the motor without the belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does you have bad bearings either in the water pump or the alternator. How tight did you make the belt?

Thank you David for your help. I could try that but I'm sure it does'nt come from the alternator. I listened wel and it comes from the center. The belts are just tight enough not too slip I would say.

DMCMW Dave
06-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Spray some brake cleaner etc at the joint where the W-pipe is attached to the engine and see if you can make the noise go away. I'll bet its an air leak as David mentioned.

delorean928
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
OK Thank's I'll check for these things tomorrow.
I'll let know the results. By the way we can hear the noise from the engine compartment even at a high speed like in 4 th gear.
Thank's again

delorean928
06-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Sorry guys I did'nt have the time yet to work on my D.
I have a question for the brake cleaner test : if I have a leak at the intake joint and I spray break cleaner the engine will rev up won't it?

delorean928
06-17-2014, 10:40 PM
OK I finally got the time to work on my suspicious and annoying noise. Apparently it begins only when the engine warms up. Once the noise there I removed both belt and it was still there so it's not the water pump, the alternator nor the ac.
I tried to spray starter help around the intake and throttle body and nothing wrong :(
It squeals to hell. Very loud. Maybe I should try the smoke machine again when the engine is hot?

Kenny_Z
06-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you're chasing the same noise I am. Do you have one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

I may help you track the noise down to a certain part of the engine.

delorean928
06-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Sounds like you're chasing the same noise I am. Do you have one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

I may help you track the noise down to a certain part of the engine.

Yes I looked at your post and that's what I tought that we had the same problem but I did'nt want to hijack your thread.
I never used a stethoscope I usually use a screw driver and it works fine. Though I could borrow one.
Today I've put the smoke machine on the intake and I had a leak on the right part of the w pipe even if I had new gaskets. I've put silicone and I'll see if that was the problem.
With the smoke machine I unfortunately found that I still have to leaking injectors the same ones that were leaking before I changed the injector seals ??? I'll have to double check that.
Thank's for your help. I'm going for 4 days and sunday I'll check If the noise was coming from the leak I fixed. I have a doubt but I'll see. The noise is so loud I'm shy to drive it :(
Thank's again :)

jawn101
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes I looked at your post and that's what I tought that we had the same problem but I did'nt want to hijack your thread.
I never used a stethoscope I usually use a screw driver and it works fine. Though I could borrow one.
Today I've put the smoke machine on the intake and I had a leak on the right part of the w pipe even if I had new gaskets. I've put silicone and I'll see if that was the problem.
With the smoke machine I unfortunately found that I still have to leaking injectors the same ones that were leaking before I changed the injector seals ??? I'll have to double check that.
Thank's for your help. I'm going for 4 days and sunday I'll check If the noise was coming from the leak I fixed. I have a doubt but I'll see. The noise is so loud I'm shy to drive it :(
Thank's again :)

Careful with silicone on the W pipe, it can foul up sensors and the W pipe comes off frequently so you'll constantly be cleaning and re-sealing that. The paper gasket should be sufficient...

delorean928
06-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Careful with silicone on the W pipe, it can foul up sensors and the W pipe comes off frequently so you'll constantly be cleaning and re-sealing that. The paper gasket should be sufficient...
Thank's for the advice. The paper gasket was'nt sufficient in my case. I finished to work on my D tonight and after resealing the w pipe no more leak with the smoke machine :)
I ran the engine until warm and no more noise :nana1: I swear I was sure it was'nt from a vacuume leak but a mechanical noise and yes it's gone. It was leaking in the middle of the w pipe on the right hand intake.
Thank's to all for the help.

Patrick C
06-22-2014, 10:02 PM

Thank's for the advice. The paper gasket was'nt sufficient in my case. I finished to work on my D tonight and after resealing the w pipe no more leak with the smoke machine :)
I ran the engine until warm and no more noise :nana1: I swear I was sure it was'nt from a vacuume leak but a mechanical noise and yes it's gone. It was leaking in the middle of the w pipe on the right hand intake.
Thank's to all for the help.

Glad it is fixed!

DMCMW Dave
06-22-2014, 11:51 PM

After that W-pipe has been on and off a few times the ears actually bend microscopically and cause the sealing problem even with new gaskets. Some sealant is often needed even though the factory didn't use it the first time. Would have been a much nicer design had Renault not cheaped out on the other four bolts there.

jawn101
06-22-2014, 11:57 PM
After that W-pipe has been on and off a few times the ears actually bend microscopically and cause the sealing problem even with new gaskets. Some sealant is often needed even though the factory didn't use it the first time. Would have been a much nicer design had Renault not cheaped out on the other four bolts there.

I had no idea! Guess I've been lucky then, I've had mine off dozens of times and the paper gaskets still work :)

Kenny_Z
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear your noise is fixed. Hopefully I'll get time to work on mine and find it is something that simple.

DMCMW Dave
06-23-2014, 07:31 PM
I had no idea! Guess I've been lucky then, I've had mine off dozens of times and the paper gaskets still work :)

Apparently yours were never reinstalled by some nut case with an impact tool.

jawn101
06-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Apparently yours were never reinstalled by some nut case with an impact tool.

Good point. I got extremely lucky with my car that it appears to have been driven regularly, properly maintained, garaged at all times and never worked on by any morons :) Other than the hack job car-stereo-and-alarm that wasn't even all that difficult to remove and re-do properly.

Which part deforms? The W-pipe or the manifold itself? Both?

Boxbot
08-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Excellent thread guys. I thought the pulleys or the belts were squealing, but the W pipe just wasn't tight enough. Thanks for the help with my problem du jour.