PDA

View Full Version : General interior question

penciltester
06-12-2014, 12:43 AM
This has probably been discussed before but I didn't find it with the search function.

In the interior of the car, what is leather and what is vinyl?

I know the seats are leather but what about the doors, binnacle, etc.....

Thanks again

sdg3205
06-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Only the seat faces are leather. As is the wrap on the steering wheel. Everything else is vinyl and plastic.

Michael
06-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Bridge of Weir and Tupperware

David T
06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
This has probably been discussed before but I didn't find it with the search function.

In the interior of the car, what is leather and what is vinyl?

I know the seats are leather but what about the doors, binnacle, etc.....

Thanks again

The seating surfaces (NOT the sides or back), door pull straps, shifter boot (on the 5-speeds), and steering wheel (not the center) are leather. Everything else is vinyl.

Michael
06-12-2014, 10:10 AM
The seating surfaces (NOT the sides or back), door pull straps, shifter boot (on the 5-speeds), and steering wheel (not the center) are leather. Everything else is vinyl.

In other words exactly what Dave Graham said in post 2 of this thread.

David T
06-12-2014, 10:39 AM
In other words exactly what Dave Graham said in post 2 of this thread.

Post #2 did not mention the pull straps or the shifter boot.

Michael
06-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Post #2 did not mention the pull straps or the shifter boot.

.....but post #2 did say "everything else"

Your post didn't mention the binnacle, dash, door post trim, radio knobs, but it did say everything else as well.

Again you take someone else's comment or answer, twist the words around a little and sign your name to it.

refugeefromcalif
06-12-2014, 05:32 PM
.....but post #2 did say "everything else"

If I'm reading this right, the pull straps and the shifter boot are vinyl or plastic? :headscratch:

George

sdg3205
06-12-2014, 09:03 PM
The shift boot is leather. My pull straps are vinyl. I guess they vary.

David T
06-13-2014, 10:07 AM
The shift boot is leather. My pull straps are vinyl. I guess they vary.

The only "variation" I am familiar with on the door pull straps is early cars had the strap wrapped around the handle and the later cars had the strap attached inside the door. They are all leather unless a PO changed them.

penciltester
06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. Going to do some cleaning after work today. I plan on using Barkeepers Friend after a soap and water bath on the exterior. Other than going with the grain, any trick to using this stuff. I assume you week the car down, lay down a fine powder. Has anyone used the liquid version of Barkeepers Friend?

Thanks

David T
06-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody. Going to do some cleaning after work today. I plan on using Barkeepers Friend after a soap and water bath on the exterior. Other than going with the grain, any trick to using this stuff. I assume you week the car down, lay down a fine powder. Has anyone used the liquid version of Barkeepers Friend?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with B/F but if it is an abrasive powder I would not recommend using it. People have tried it but I have not heard a lot of good things about it. What most do is wash the car with a mild detergent. Better to use an automotive car soap than your wife's dishwasher cleaner. Household soaps are more concentrated and they take a lot more rinsing to remove. And you need to remove all traces of soap. After cleaning and drying there is really nothing else to do to the stainless steel unless you have scratches. Those are removed with Scotch-Brite pads and deeper ones with 80# sandpaper. If you want to shine the S/S up there is Glo-SS Plus by Chemsearch. It leaves the S/S shiny, clean, and is not greasy so it doesn't attract and hold dust. It is expensive. DMCH sells it by the can. Windex works good enough for most of the time if you want something local and cheap. The facias should be polished with a good car polish. Black Again is great for the trim, sunshade, bumpers, mirrors, etc. For the weatherstripping get some silicone spray, spray it on a rag, and wipe the seals. Use it generously on the door seals especially on the top and the front where the door rubs past and tends to tear them. If you have a lot of road tar use some solvent to remove it and then wash the area again. Perfect Glass is about the best glass cleaner but Windex is OK too. A Delorean is a little car and it cleans up pretty easily and quick especially if you keep it clean.

Rich
06-13-2014, 06:42 PM
I plan on using Barkeepers Friend after a soap and water bath on the exterior. Other than going with the grain, any trick to using this stuff. I assume you week the car down, lay down a fine powder. Has anyone used the liquid version of Barkeepers Friend?

I've used both dry/powder and liquid. Both do a good job of deep-cleaning the brushed stainless. Follow the BKF directions, which cover the "tricks" (not for use on painted surfaces like fascias, keep with the grain, etc.). Like David says, a good wash will do most of what you want. I only use BKF maybe twice a year.

My preference is BKF liquid. Since you need to liquify the powder anyway the liquid version just makes things that much simpler.

You may choose to rinse it with a series of wipes with a clean/rinsed cloth or towel rather than a stream of water. The fine, fine BKF particles not dissolve so much as get moved someplace else downstream when rinsed away. So you may find a residue wherever the BKF gets rinsed to, something avoided with a wet wipedown. The residue isn't harmful, just white and powdery.

Rich
06-13-2014, 06:49 PM
And now that this thread has migrated over to how to clean the exterior is it fair to ask why you were originally asking about which interior bits were leather and which ones weren't?

Was that related to some plans for cleaning the interior or was it for some other reason?

penciltester
06-13-2014, 10:03 PM
I have purchased a Leatherique kit and was wondering what to use it on. Thus the original leather question. So, once again, thanks everybody for the help. :)

Now to track down some liquid BKF.

sdg3205
06-14-2014, 02:32 AM
I used the Leatherique on the entire seat. It should be safe on vinyl. Prep is key, though it doesn't tend to stick to the stitching very long, which isn't a bad thing. I had my dye made to match the SEM vinyl dye so my interior matches well