PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Lateral Movement Right Front Wheel

gamerguy51
06-13-2014, 07:37 PM
I have play in the right front wheel, lateral only, not longitudinal. I'm also getting a groan and what sounds like spring noise when coming to a "spirited" stop. Looks like either the tie rod end or the steering rack. Video link posted. Thanks guys!

http://youtu.be/7tLqnjcxy2w

krs09
06-14-2014, 01:04 AM
I have play in the right front wheel, lateral only, not longitudinal. I'm also getting a groan and what sounds like spring noise when coming to a "spirited" stop. Looks like either the tie rod end or the steering rack. Video link posted. Thanks guys!

http://youtu.be/7tLqnjcxy2w

I had the same exact problem, makes a hell of alot of noise over bumps and frankly is not safe at all. You need a new rack. Once I installed mine the issue was totally gone. Dmcmw option is great!

vwdmc16
06-14-2014, 02:10 AM
Oh yeah, inner tie rod is definatley shot, there is a small plastic cup/bushing in there that has probably degraded or is missing. Sadly individual parts for the rack are not available.

gamerguy51
06-14-2014, 10:43 AM
I had the same exact problem, makes a hell of alot of noise over bumps and frankly is not safe at all. You need a new rack. Once I installed mine the issue was totally gone. Dmcmw option is great!

You guys are making me cry. Those things are $400 bucks. Jesus.

gamerguy51
06-14-2014, 10:53 AM

What about Hervey's? Is it worth the core swapping and all that for the quality/price difference?

David T
06-14-2014, 01:16 PM
What about Hervey's? Is it worth the core swapping and all that for the quality/price difference?

Before you start worrying it is easy to check. Jack the front wheel up. Have someone hold the steering wheel still. Try turning the wheel side-to-side and see what moves and what doesn't. The problem could "just" be the tie rod ends. It can also be the bushings that secure the rack to the frame. In most cases it is a little bit in a lot of places and it all adds up to a lot of play.

jawn101
06-19-2014, 08:12 PM

I got his and have been happy. But others on the forum have some real horror stories about racks from him being improperly rebuilt - steering is one thing you can't afford to have fail.

I see you are pretty new to the forum... if $400 is making you cry now, get ready to flat out weep over the coming months and years.

gamerguy51
07-04-2014, 01:47 AM
Turns out my Ps bushing was bad, as well as the inner tie rod nylon cup that puts tension on the ball joint....I've found that lotus s4 has a very similar setup and they make brass cups just for that situation. Now its a waiting game to get the bushing fabricated in brass ($10) and the cups are $38.