PDA

View Full Version : Starts while parked with no key

jram
06-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Ok, so I was going through my workshop manual and found some notes that the previous owner had written about why he had installed a momentary switch as a "push button" ignition. There was a note that stated he did this to prevent the car from starting while parked with no key in the ignition. Notes indicate that somehow the starter circuit would randomly ground and engage the starter without being activated with the key. Does anyone know anything about the frequency of this problem or what the weak link in the wiring would be to to cause this? Anyone else had this problem?

sdg3205
06-16-2014, 03:27 AM
Personally, I have never heard of a DeLorean randomly starting. This would hinge on a lot of systems being live at once (starter, fuel pump, cold start valve or CPR, coil...... well, everything) and then unless the starter continued to run, it would have to crank for the right amount of time, so a split second bridge wouldn't start the car...

It seems like a short in the ignition key tumbler. How on earth?!

EDIT - post more information about your car. There was a change in the starter circuit at one point, but not for this reason. Whats your VIN?

jram
06-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Vin 00750. The only thing that looked amiss in the ignition switch was the center "common" round copper lead had broken off and *might* have been waving around and jumped across to ground the starter, I soldered it back in. I deleted the push button that the previous owner installed, only to find the notes as to why he did it in the first place. I'm not 100% sure if the lead was broken and then a switch was installed to remedy that, or if the problem is somewhere else and the lead was taken off to ensure that the ground wasn't in place. That being said, I'm not sure that the push button was installed correctly to fix the problem since you could always crank the car with the key and no aid from the button. I'm confused and I saw no service bulletin that addresses bad ignition switches.