PDA

View Full Version : General What new vendor products were shown at DCS 2014?

Ozzie
06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
So were there any new vendor products introduced, shown, at DCS 2014?

acaciolo
06-16-2014, 08:58 PM
rob grady had some spectacular floor mats....but I've only owned a delorean for 2 months, so everything is new to me!

Jonathan
06-16-2014, 09:00 PM
I got a great hands on demo of how the fuel pump and sender combo works and was designed from Dave and James. That's a really nice looking product and I had never seen one in person before hand.

I think both estucheons (LH and RH) were there along with rheostats (just mentioned in another thread).

Toby and Misty were displaying a pretty clever revision to the front strut tower brace. It sits flat and under the carpet instead of over and it is shaped to allow you to get the spare out without removing it. Oh, and it would go well with your Klingon costume if you felt so inclined.

Tillsy
06-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Did MidWest's upcoming aluminium lower control arms make it? I'm dying to hear opinions and pricing...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28337

Jimmyvonviggle
06-17-2014, 12:17 AM
One product I found interesting was from Toby. It was a flat front stabilizer bar. It had a curve in it so you could have it under the carpet, and it doesn't interfere with the spare. It felt very solid and nicely produced. Sorry I didn't get a pic of it but Claudia Wells was near by so i was distracted.

D Knight
06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Dave's LCAs were there. Look pretty damn cool! I think he said 599 ea and that includes the ball joints and pivot bushings.

-D Knight-

Jonathan
06-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Yea, and Dave's steering column adapter was right near those LCAs too. This lets you install the Momo or likewise steering wheel at the right depth.

Bitsyncmaster
06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Those new LCAs are machined from a block of aluminum. I would have no concerns with installing them on my car since they are so thick on all surfaces. It's just that I just installed the SS LCAs I had bought a few years ago that stopped me from buying a set of those new ones.

DMCMW Dave
06-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Dave's LCAs were there. Look pretty damn cool! I think he said 599 ea and that includes the ball joints and pivot bushings.

-D Knight-

$599 with euro ball joint and NNS inner bushing installed in the arm. Available separately if you want to do some finish work, the arm is $489 bare/no parts (but no warranty on messing it up during installation). We can accommodate specials, i.e. other finishes, leave out the bushing but not the ball joint etc. They are more or less made to order due to the expense.

Chris4099
06-17-2014, 03:29 PM
DMCH were displaying their new tail light boards. Will be sold in pairs with or without LED bulbs. Should be available in a few months.

I remember seeing a prototype DPNW front strut bar over a year ago in Toby's shop. Very impressive and heavy duty! Even back then, they were having problems getting a shop to produce them that wouldn't then close up weeks later. It's been their biggest problem with getting new products out including their rear sway bar.

Bikercmbc
06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
DMCMW had a new steering wheel pad that is still in developement stages, will have raise DMC logo in silver and fit/finish like the originals. think dave said it would be available in the fall.

Nicholas R
06-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I too was very intrigued by Toby's new shock tower strut brace! I had to change my fuel pump out while on the way to the show and if I had had this brace installed, the process would have been quicker as I wouldn't have had to remove my current brace!

The only question I had was if there was a way that during installation, you can laterally preload the bar so that you know that it is always in tension. At first glance, I wasn't sure if it was possible. I discussed it briefly with Misty but I was having difficult explaining my question to her so she referred me to Toby on the technical. Unfortunately he was unavailable at the time. I'd loved to hear about it further. I have the original shock tower strut brace on my car currently and I like that once you bolt it in place, you can preload the bar laterally and then tighten the jam nuts on the swivel joints. This way, at any amount travel of the shock tower, you know the bar is always in tension and is distributing the load.

I really like how the new design is low profile, fits under the carpet, and works around the spare tire compartment, I just want to know more about it technically before considering purchasing it. Maybe Toby will pop his head into this thread to discuss it more! :thumbup:

Mark D
06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Anyone have photos of some of these new products? The strut bar and steering wheel pad sound particularly interesting. I'm also curious to know wha t the repro tail light boards look like.

DMCMW Dave
06-17-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm also curious to know wha t the repro tail light boards look like.

Sorry, no pictures (I'm sure they are out there but I didn't think to take one) but you'll like the price. With conventional bulbs the price is $85/pair with bulbs. LEDs were quite a bit more but this is much lower than they used to be.

D Knight
06-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Here are the center wheel pad prototype and the LCAs. As Dave said, they will come with the ball joints installed. These were the display pieces.

-D Knight-

robvanderveer
06-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Personally, I wished they wouldn't put DMC on *everything*, how many logo's do you really need in your car? I *know* it is a DeLorean.

RammJaeger
06-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Personally, I wished they wouldn't put DMC on *everything*, how many logo's do you really need in your car? I *know* it is a DeLorean.

Rob, you should know by now us Yanks aren't as subtle as our Dutch friends across the ocean ;)

RammJaeger
06-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Here are the center wheel pad prototype and the LCAs. As Dave said, they will come with the ball joints installed. These were the display pieces.

-D Knight-

Is that one of the MOMO DMC wheels in the background of that picture? I thought those were out of stock everywhere?

robvanderveer
06-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Rob, you should know by now us Yanks aren't as subtle as our Dutch friends across the ocean ;)
lol!

DMCMW Dave
06-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Is that one of the MOMO DMC wheels in the background of that picture? I thought those were out of stock everywhere?

Not the real Momo, it's the knockoff. But we have a few of them available. And plenty of the adapters.

PB Co
06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
I have a real MOMO wheel and I thought it was the 'replica.' Way to create a superior product and ruin the resale value on the parts I want to unload Dave. Lol.

Those aluminum LCAs are amazing, and finally the DMC logo on the steering wheel center pad! Thanks for the pics.

DMCMW Dave
06-18-2014, 10:03 AM
I have a real MOMO wheel and I thought it was the 'replica.' Way to create a superior product and ruin the resale value on the parts I want to unload Dave. Lol. .

The biggest problem DMCH had with the "real" Momo wheel was getting Momo to supply them on any sort of schedule.

I'll put up a shot of the whole assembly and parts later today.

D Knight
06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
H28350ere is Dave's wheel.

-D Knight-

awildermode
06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
I too was very intrigued by Toby's new shock tower strut brace! I had to change my fuel pump out while on the way to the show and if I had had this brace installed, the process would have been quicker as I wouldn't have had to remove my current brace!

The only question I had was if there was a way that during installation, you can laterally preload the bar so that you know that it is always in tension. At first glance, I wasn't sure if it was possible. I discussed it briefly with Misty but I was having difficult explaining my question to her so she referred me to Toby on the technical. Unfortunately he was unavailable at the time. I'd loved to hear about it further. I have the original shock tower strut brace on my car currently and I like that once you bolt it in place, you can preload the bar laterally and then tighten the jam nuts on the swivel joints. This way, at any amount travel of the shock tower, you know the bar is always in tension and is distributing the load.

I really like how the new design is low profile, fits under the carpet, and works around the spare tire compartment, I just want to know more about it technically before considering purchasing it. Maybe Toby will pop his head into this thread to discuss it more! :thumbup:

Same here. I have original shock tower brace, but considering getting the new version, also. I really like Toby's new low profile design...and it looks so cool.

Ozzie
06-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Sorta, kinda, found a picture of Toby's new low profile design shock tower brace: DPNW link (http://www.delorean-parts.com/delorean-parts-images/Latest%20Upgrades.pdf)

RammJaeger
06-18-2014, 04:39 PM
The biggest problem DMCH had with the "real" Momo wheel was getting Momo to supply them on any sort of schedule.

I'll put up a shot of the whole assembly and parts later today.

Please do Dave, I'm interested, and I'd like to see a good picture of it all. What is the quality like on the non "Real" Momo wheel?

Flash66
06-18-2014, 04:48 PM
I just bought one, and while it looks very much like the Momo, is wrapped in leather, the wheel itself doesn't look symmetrical. There's glue residue on the metal and some of the chrome trim looks discolored. I am waiting for the vendor to send a hand picked replacement, but this is going on 3 weeks now. I guess for $35 bucks, you get what you pay for. From experience buying these from China can be very aggravating, plus you will need keep your fingers crossed that you'll receive one without defects. Here are a few photos. 28360283612836228363

DMCMW Dave
06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Here are a couple more shots of what we had at the show.

What Flash said above is true- it's a Chinese wheel. YGWYPF

This also shows the adapter that we made, we went longer than the prior version due to complaints about the wheel being too close to the turn signal stalk. You can see that the wheel placement is now same as stock.

The adapter is $189.95 (sorry, but it's made in the machine shop in our building, not by slave labor in China).

The center logo shown is $25 (also made here).

We sell the whole package including the wheel for $274.90.

The adapter is wrinkle-finish powder-coat, although we do have one in matte finish (the test run part) available at the moment.

28392 28393 28394

Comparison to the prior adapter, and construction detail:

28395 28396 28397

This adapter will fit many common aftermarket "flat" wheels, it's drilled for both Metric and English. Screws are included.

Doogie
06-18-2014, 11:46 PM
As I was walking through the Vendors area with my wife, we stumbled across the Seat Covers. I showed my wife, and mentioned "This is what we really need". We mulled around for a while, and my wife mentioned, "We should get those seat covers right?" I said sure, but they are $700! She said, "Let's go ahead and get them, that way we can save shipping right?" I was like, "Um, yea, that's a good idea" (Secretly wondering what I did to deserve this. Father's Day? No, got the Lamborghini Test Drive for that.). Huh. OK, so we grab a set of Black Ones, and head to the car. On the way in the parking lot, she looks at me and says, "You know, these are really more for me than you, I am so tired of sitting on those Granite-Hard Original Seats!" (my seat cover are so petrified I actually poked my thumb through the passenger side once!).

So, with that, no Momo steering wheel for me, although I friggin love that wheel! But I'm sure I'll love those new seat covers too!

Doogie

NightFlyer
06-19-2014, 01:16 AM
The adapter is $189.95 (sorry, but it's made in the machine shop in our building, not by slave labor in China).

Dave, Dave, Dave - you NEVER need to apologize for made in USA quality and craftsmanship. You simply need to give your customers the option of buying made in USA, and those in the know will be there to support you :smile:

If only I wasn't of the concours mindset with my car...

robvanderveer
06-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Dave, Dave, Dave - you NEVER need to apologize for made in USA quality and craftsmanship. You simply need to give your customers the option of buying made in USA, and those in the know will be there to support you :smile:

Unfortunately it is a basic principle of economy. In these days of throw-away consumerism, people want more for less. China is very good at making more for less. Needless to say this is true for most of the electronic crap that is hauled in by container freighters bigger than 10 blocks. See what it did to the American and European economy. Almost nothing is produced locally any more. This will be our downfall in the end. Look at Detroit and GM. Here in Europe is a typical scene: towns filled with unemployed at one side, and overqualified personnel sitting behind 50" screen with 12 port USB hubs in every room and a eastern hybrid car on the driveway. skilled craftsmen are sacked because you simply cannot compete with cheap labour.

In whatever the country the product is made, USA or Netherlands, Germany, or any other, I don't mind spending a few more bucks on a product that is vastly superior to cheap crap. Especially if it is for safety, or for durability. But sometimes i buy cheap crap for fun, see what it does and how it goes. For example, i will not pay $50 on a led strip that i may only use a few times while i can get one at eBay for under $8 incl. p&p. but i will gladly put down the $699 or so for new seat covers for my DeLorean!

DCUK Martin
06-19-2014, 09:33 AM
You're right...and wrong. The developing economies give us choice with their cheaper manufacturing. All they're doing is exploiting their resources in a global economy - just as "we" did in the past. Their resource is labour, but this does not mean that "all products made in China are rubbish" - far from it.

Are you sure those seat covers are made in the USA?

robvanderveer
06-19-2014, 09:43 AM
You're right...and wrong. (....) Their resource is labour, but this does not mean that "all products made in China are rubbish" - far from it.

Please don't twist my words. I never said everything is rubbish, I said China makes a lot a inexpensive stuff and we love to buy it. There are numerous examples of high quality stuff that is made in Chinesa, Taiwan etc.

Btw, the seat covers are set as an example. I got mine from DeLorean Europe and i am very happy, regardless where it was made.

Exolis
06-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately it is a basic principle of economy. In these days of throw-away consumerism, people want more for less. China is very good at making more for less. Needless to say this is true for most of the electronic crap that is hauled in by container freighters bigger than 10 blocks. See what it did to the American and European economy. Almost nothing is produced locally any more. This will be our downfall in the end. Look at Detroit and GM. Here in Europe is a typical scene: towns filled with unemployed at one side, and overqualified personnel sitting behind 50" screen with 12 port USB hubs in every room and a eastern hybrid car on the driveway. skilled craftsmen are sacked because you simply cannot compete with cheap labour.

In whatever the country the product is made, USA or Netherlands, Germany, or any other, I don't mind spending a few more bucks on a product that is vastly superior to cheap crap. Especially if it is for safety, or for durability. But sometimes i buy cheap crap for fun, see what it does and how it goes. For example, i will not pay $50 on a led strip that i may only use a few times while i can get one at eBay for under $8 incl. p&p. but i will gladly put down the $699 or so for new seat covers for my DeLorean!

So while Detroit is still a crap hole, the area is still heavy in the Automotive industry, with still quite a few plants. However, it mostly has switched from factories to Engineering offices. Essentially all Automotive OEMs(except Honda) has their R&D center in Michigan, Honda is in Ohio. With that, there are even more Suppliers that have offices (some big, some small or if you're Bosch, they have buildings scattered across Metro Detroit). The proof is also easily seen Monday mornings at Detroit Metro Airport when you see a lot of people in a Polo and Khakis. :P

I cannot agree with the "Almost nothing is produced locally any more" part. Again, a lot of cars are still made in the US, I mean a LOT. Depending on the segment, it's typically cheaper to produce locally since shipping vehicles can be costly and a logistics nightmare. Nissan for example, pretty much all of our high selling vehicles are made in the US.

But yeah, no point in people in general(society,etc) bashing imported stuff as bad since even cars made in the US, a lot of the parts will come from Mexico or overseas. The cheap labor part is based on Supply and Demand, since you have about 318 Mill people in the US and 1.3 billion in China, people will work for less to have a job. Plus, if every part down in a vehicle was made in the US, cars would probably cost 10x more. So a compact entry level car with a sticker tag of 150k does not sound too appealing lol.

Back on to topic, it is awesome to see new/improved parts being made for the DeLorean. I'm excited to install my Gas Sender/Pump combo from DMCH and Rad fans from DPI soon. I'm in the planning stages of redoing the harnesses/connectors/Grounds on mine.

RammJaeger
06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Here are a couple more shots of what we had at the show.

What Flash said above is true- it's a Chinese wheel. YGWYPF

This also shows the adapter that we made, we went longer than the prior version due to complaints about the wheel being too close to the turn signal stalk. You can see that the wheel placement is now same as stock.

We sell the whole package including the wheel for $274.90.

The adapter is wrinkle-finish powder-coat, although we do have one in matte finish (the test run part) available at the moment.

28392 28393 28394

Comparison to the prior adapter, and construction detail:

28395 28396 28397

This adapter will fit many common aftermarket "flat" wheels, it's drilled for both Metric and English. Screws are included.

Those look real nice. How is the quality of the wheel? The "fake" MOMO wheel you posted images of looks pretty nice, while the one the other guy posted looked pretty bad. Is it real leather? I'm really considering getting this, can I order it from your website, or do I need to call you?

DMCMW Dave
06-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Those look real nice. How is the quality of the wheel? The "fake" MOMO wheel you posted images of looks pretty nice, while the one the other guy posted looked pretty bad. Is it real leather? I'm really considering getting this, can I order it from your website, or do I need to call you?

The batch we just got look like the other guy's photos. We do have the one in the photo but only one, first caller can have it. Other ones will look like the other photos and will be cheaper.

At the price they are most likely not leather. If you really want the high quality wheel get the $350 made in Italy by Momo.

You need to call us, the website only talks "Houston-ese".

815 459 6439

PB Co
06-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Beautiful adapter. Gorgeous LCAs. Some really exciting products in the pipeline. There has never been a better time to be an owner.

There is a thread around here somewhere that compares the MOMO genuine vs replica. IIRC there was not much of a difference in materials/construction. The only way to know is to look for a stamp on the back that the replica omitted. Then again the replicas may have improved and added this detail. I do not know.

vps3922
06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Their resource is labour, ...

And destruction of habitat, breathable air, potable water and their health.

My 5 cents to the discussion.

dmc4087
06-19-2014, 03:03 PM
...which happens in every industrialised country...

David T
06-19-2014, 03:08 PM
If it wasn't for all of the cheap stuff from China our economy would be much worse off. The cheap (read inexpensive) goods are the only things all too many consumers can afford! Without that stuff too many could not afford to buy ANYTHING! The big problem is eventually there may be no more choice. If too many producers are driven out of the market and China starts to raise prices, now you have the worst of all worlds, high prices and lousey goods. It is already happening in some markets. We will all pay the price in the future for these "cheap" goods. Enjoy them while you can. Us "older folk" can remember when anything made in Japan was a joke. Now they are a benchmark of quality (never mind high prices ala Sony and Panosonic). Back in the 80's we all thought we would have to learn Japanese, they were buying everything in sight all over the world. Now look at them. Korea (Samsung + Kia) is eating their lunch.

Flash66
06-19-2014, 04:25 PM
The batch we just got look like the other guy's photos. We do have the one in the photo but only one, first caller can have it. Other ones will look like the other photos and will be cheaper.

At the price they are most likely not leather. If you really want the high quality wheel get the $350 made in Italy by Momo.

You need to call us, the website only talks "Houston-ese".

815 459 6439

I always hated to be known as just the "other guy" I'm the real deal baby! Lol! Just FYI these wheels come in both PVC and leather. If you look at my photos there is a leather swatch attached to the wheel. Since this topic came up yesterday, I asked the vendor if they could hand pick a batch of A1 leather wheels instead of just the one they selected for me. They said they would. I will most likely offer them to Dave first at my cost if he's interested. He has put the effort into the adapters/package and I would rather help him than compete with him. My primary business here has an electronics factory based in Shenzhen so I'm accustomed to dealing with Chinese manufacturers and posses a continuos bond for import. Also they informed me that the wheels are already in an LA warehouse and since I travel from Vegas to LA frequently, there's a chance I may be able select them personally. We'll see how this pans out and keep you posted.

NightFlyer
06-19-2014, 04:27 PM
If it wasn't for all of the cheap stuff from China our economy would be much worse off. The cheap (read inexpensive) goods are the only things all too many consumers can afford! Without that stuff too many could not afford to buy ANYTHING! The big problem is eventually there may be no more choice. If too many producers are driven out of the market and China starts to raise prices, now you have the worst of all worlds, high prices and lousey goods. It is already happening in some markets. We will all pay the price in the future for these "cheap" goods. Enjoy them while you can. Us "older folk" can remember when anything made in Japan was a joke. Now they are a benchmark of quality (never mind high prices ala Sony and Panosonic). Back in the 80's we all thought we would have to learn Japanese, they were buying everything in sight all over the world. Now look at them. Korea (Samsung + Kia) is eating their lunch.

I'm not even going to acknowledge the ignorance contained within this comment or grace it with a proper response - I'll just shake my head in utter disbelief and re-iterate that this kind of attitude/mindset is the cancer that currently plaques our (and any other fair playing) nation.

Kane
06-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Can we leave the rah rah rah jingoism out of this thread? To me the "downfall of the US economy" discussion treads on Politics territory. Take that garbage over to DMCToday where it belongs.

thirdmanj
06-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Can we leave the rah rah rah jingoism out of this thread? To me the "downfall of the US economy" discussion treads on Politics territory. Take that garbage over to DMCToday where it belongs.

Yup. Didn't see that coming.

David T
06-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Of course you are right, it does belong in the other discussion group. My mistake.

RammJaeger
06-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Woot! Looks like I'm getting myself a new steering wheel. I talked to Dave and I'm buying the one he posted pics of in this thread :) Anyone else have this style of steering wheel in their car? How do you like it?

NightFlyer
06-20-2014, 03:16 PM
IMHO, the Momo and Momo knock-offs/replicas are the only after-market steering wheel that look proper/right in the car :thumbup:

Flash66
06-20-2014, 04:23 PM
I just received 2 knockoffs from my vendor today that were hand selected, and both are aesthetically correct finally. One is leather and one Is PVC rubber. There's NO comparison between the two. The leather one is very worthy of going in my DeLorean, but the PVC is in no way as nice as the leather one.

DSNW Toby
06-24-2014, 05:07 PM

In regards to the question about preloading the brace in tension ... absolutely! We didn't have all the bits and pieces there at DCS. The kit comes with an adjuster assembly that is used to preload the brace after it is snugged into place. The goal is to keep the brace in tension virtually all the time, although there will be a few instances where I can see the brace transitioning into compression briefly. This would involve very uneven or twisted road surfaces. The attached pictures shows an earlier version of the adjuster. We now use an Allen head cap screw instead of a hex bolt.

Somebody asked me about the technical differences between the strut braces that have been available for a while and this new brace design. There are basically two schools of thought regarding strut brace design theory - having freely rotating ends (as in the spherical rod end bearing design), and the other design having end fixity. If you go out and look at strut braces used on various "normal" cars, you will see some with bearings at the attachment points, and some with welded end plates. I happen to prefer end fixity based on my years of experience in structural engineering and aircraft design. One advantage of end fixity comes with the uneven or twisted roads mentioned above that could cause the brace to transition into compression. With large twisting forces on the frame, the current strut brace with bearings on the ends will not resist the twisting, but will simply go along with the twist. The fixed ends on the new brace will load up during a twisting event, loading the brace itself up in bending and torsion, and give some measure of stability during that time. That said, there is also the matter of the design of the uprights that attach the brace to the frame. The existing design is a long spacer tube and a longer bolt that is threaded down into the weld nut on the frame. When looking at some of the higher loads possible during aggressive driving or bad roads, the bolts/spacers have very little capability to withstand the bending. With the uprights used in the new design, they are fitted down into the cups in the underbody, and effectively hold the ends of the cups against the frame and the upper flanges of the cups against the underbody. This makes for a very rigid joint that can transfer the twisting loads directly into the brace as bending and torsion. The uprights are precision machined parts made from 303 CRES, and are held in using stainless steel studs that are threaded into the frame weld nuts once, and don't need to be removed, even if the brace is removed for some reason. Every time the frame bolts are taken in and out, there is a risk of damaging the threads in the weld nuts. The new brace can be removed without disturbing the uprights at all.

This post has become long enough ... any questions or concerns will be gladly responded to.

Tillsy
06-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I think I want one just so I can say I have a bat'leth in my DeLorean's trunk...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28547 http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28548 http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28531&d=1403643556

Nicholas R
06-24-2014, 08:45 PM
In regards to the question about preloading the brace in tension ... absolutely! We didn't have all the bits and pieces there at DCS. The kit comes with an adjuster assembly that is used to preload the brace after it is snugged into place. The goal is to keep the brace in tension virtually all the time, although there will be a few instances where I can see the brace transitioning into compression briefly. This would involve very uneven or twisted road surfaces. The attached pictures shows an earlier version of the adjuster. We now use an Allen head cap screw instead of a hex bolt.

Somebody asked me about the technical differences between the strut braces that have been available for a while and this new brace design. There are basically two schools of thought regarding strut brace design theory - having freely rotating ends (as in the spherical rod end bearing design), and the other design having end fixity. If you go out and look at strut braces used on various "normal" cars, you will see some with bearings at the attachment points, and some with welded end plates. I happen to prefer end fixity based on my years of experience in structural engineering and aircraft design. One advantage of end fixity comes with the uneven or twisted roads mentioned above that could cause the brace to transition into compression. With large twisting forces on the frame, the current strut brace with bearings on the ends will not resist the twisting, but will simply go along with the twist. The fixed ends on the new brace will load up during a twisting event, loading the brace itself up in bending and torsion, and give some measure of stability during that time. That said, there is also the matter of the design of the uprights that attach the brace to the frame. The existing design is a long spacer tube and a longer bolt that is threaded down into the weld nut on the frame. When looking at some of the higher loads possible during aggressive driving or bad roads, the bolts/spacers have very little capability to withstand the bending. With the uprights used in the new design, they are fitted down into the cups in the underbody, and effectively hold the ends of the cups against the frame and the upper flanges of the cups against the underbody. This makes for a very rigid joint that can transfer the twisting loads directly into the brace as bending and torsion. The uprights are precision machined parts made from 303 CRES, and are held in using stainless steel studs that are threaded into the frame weld nuts once, and don't need to be removed, even if the brace is removed for some reason. Every time the frame bolts are taken in and out, there is a risk of damaging the threads in the weld nuts. The new brace can be removed without disturbing the uprights at all.

This post has become long enough ... any questions or concerns will be gladly responded to.

Thanks for the info Toby! That little adjuster makes all the difference. At the show, I notice the flat spot on the one end of the bar but I couldn't figure out it would be used to add the preload. This makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the update!

jawn101
07-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I really like the looks of it. Have always wanted something to stiffen up the front but never liked any of the options out there until now. When will it go on sale formally? Is it already? :)

Ras12
07-04-2014, 01:17 AM
:wave2: Anyone interested in selling their now "old-style" strut bar to finance the upgrade to the new design let me know as I don't mind the old, above the caret design. Thanks

PJ Grady Inc.
12-28-2014, 03:13 PM
:wave2: Anyone interested in selling their now "old-style" strut bar to finance the upgrade to the new design let me know as I don't mind the old, above the caret design. Thanks

I just noticed this thread from last summer. If you're still looking for one of the earlier strut bars we have 4 or 5 new ones in stock.
Rob Grady

Domi
05-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Did MidWest's upcoming aluminium lower control arms make it? I'm dying to hear opinions and pricing...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28337

Does anybody install them yet?

Chris 16409
05-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Does anybody install them yet?

Call or email Dave at DMC-MW. He was heading up this project.