PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Fuel injectors

OverlandMan
06-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Is there a way to clean the inner workings of the fuel injectors? I've got one that's not spraying but just dripping and another that's sporadic.

I was thinking about soaking them overnight in a bowl of carburetor cleaner. Is that a bad idea? Anyone had any luck cleaning theirs or do you just have to replace them?

SS Spoiler
06-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Had same problem years ago. Took all injectors out and dropped them into a can of cleaner. Left them for a week.
Working great twelve years later. If yours are rusty this won't help, but still worth a try.

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

OverlandMan
06-21-2014, 12:40 PM
What kind of cleaner did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightFlyer
06-21-2014, 02:43 PM
As the injectors were designed to withstand the rigors of constant exposure to gasoline and it's additives, using any type commercially available retail petroleum based solvents (lacquer thinner, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, mineral spirits, etc) should be ok to use without causing any kind of internal damage to the injector. Best to stay away from acids that etch steel though - muriatic/hydrochloric, etc.

OverlandMan
06-21-2014, 06:46 PM
As the injectors were designed to withstand the rigors of constant exposure to gasoline and it's additives, using any type commercially available retail petroleum based solvents (lacquer thinner, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, mineral spirits, etc) should be ok to use without causing any kind of internal damage to the injector. Best to stay away from acids that etch steel though - muriatic/hydrochloric, etc.

Thanks Josh

David T
06-21-2014, 10:19 PM
The only good way to clean injectors is to use the cleaner/tester. It forces the solvent into and through the injector. Any other way just cleans the outer parts and they don't matter so much. If the injectors are working but the patterns are not so good you can add a bottle of Techron to the fuel tank. It does work but it won't take an injector that isn't working and make it new again.