FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for custom plating vendor

My VIN:    11596

I used DMCMW's plating service a few times and it's great. Last year I did a full suspension refurbishment and sent them all my large suspension bolts, brackets, calipers, etc and it all came back great. Another option for hardware is to simply replace it. You'll go broke and empty handed trying to buy the right stuff at Lowes but if you go to belmetric.com you can order onesy-twosy of damn near anything you need and the price is GREAT, everything is zip locked by size/type, and they have a variety of finishes for most items. I'm doing a frame-off right now and I'm replacing most nuts, bolts, washers, etc. This is probably easier and cheaper for anything smaller than M12 compared to sending it out for cleaning and plating. I also opted to upgrade most 8.8 hardware to hardened 10.9 for not much more. Highly recommend these guys. In fact I think I learned about them from Mark W haha. First picture is my last haul from DMCMW's plating and the second picture is my most recent box of hardware from belmetric.

PXL_20211105_214037135 (3).jpg

PXL_20220915_045009683.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Andy, yeah, BelMetric is awesome for finding a good selection of metric hardware of all kinds.

You had the inside of the piston bore of the calipers plated? is that ok?

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    Andy, yeah, BelMetric is awesome for finding a good selection of metric hardware of all kinds.

You had the inside of the piston bore of the calipers plated? is that ok?
    Good observation, actually I forgot about that issue. I too didn't like that result and when I asked DMCMW about it they didn't really take a position but said I could remove the plating with 1000 grit. Which I did. I polished the bores by hand which was a bit annoying but it worked out. The plating in the bores was much rougher than the outside of the caliper so you would have thought whoever plated it would know better. This is a 3rd party in the Chicago area by the way.

No big deal to correct but good question.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2