FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you park your DMC in popular places with lots of foot traffic?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    I live in new york city and often park my car on the street for a few hours. it gets tons of attention. If i can i park it where i can keep an eye on it from a distance.

No matter what though i see fingerprints when i get back to the car. But i havent' had any issues so far and sometimes its just fun to see how surprised people get.
    Not too long ago my car was used on GMA and it was parked outside the studio just off Times Square. I stood by it watching it and even with me and a security guard there were people coming up to it to touch it and some even tried to open the doors! There are those who do not respect other people's private property. If you really care about your car you will be careful where you park it. Heck, even my DD, when I am in a parking lot other cars park close and when they fling their doors open they will dent your car. Shopping carts will roll and all sorts of other things can happen. There are those who just have to have a souvenir. Whatever they can remove, tire valve caps, emblems. etc. At a DMA event one year someone just had to have a gearshift knob.
    Be Careful Out There!
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Not too long ago my car was used on GMA and it was parked outside the studio just off Times Square. I stood by it watching it and even with me and a security guard there were people coming up to it to touch it and some even tried to open the doors! There are those who do not respect other people's private property. If you really care about your car you will be careful where you park it. Heck, even my DD, when I am in a parking lot other cars park close and when they fling their doors open they will dent your car. Shopping carts will roll and all sorts of other things can happen. There are those who just have to have a souvenir. Whatever they can remove, tire valve caps, emblems. etc. At a DMA event one year someone just had to have a gearshift knob.
    Be Careful Out There!
    I mentioned it in another thread. Someone tried to open my door in manhattan WHILE I WAS SITTING INSIDE.
    I am somewhat tall and can be imposing. I got out of my car and gave him a piece of my mind. I think he didn't realize i was in it and didn't expect it to open. He shat his pants but he left which is all i wanted.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

in contrast to most people in this thread:

I daily drive my car. During the summer months my truck sits. I do not have a garage at my house so the car is parked outside for anyone to see. It gets rained on, etc.

Being that it is my daily driver I drive it everywhere and leave it unattended without much worry. Sure, people stop and take pictures and wait to talk to me about it, but always friendly in nature.
    I think the biggest concern is driving it. There is defensive driving, and there is delorean defensive driving. There are often people camping out in your blind spot taking pictures. You have to be very careful switching lanes. The car is very low and small, it can often not be seen by bigger vehicles or pulling out of an intersection or a parking spot.

Id definitely concern yourself with it more than a regular car, but I think being scared to leave it out of your sight is a bit overboard.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    I mentioned it in another thread. Someone tried to open my door in manhattan WHILE I WAS SITTING INSIDE.
    I am somewhat tall and can be imposing. I got out of my car and gave him a piece of my mind. I think he didn't realize i was in it and didn't expect it to open. He shat his pants but he left which is all i wanted.
    So how tall are you? I'm 6' 7" and just fit in a D with manual trans.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    in contrast to most people in this thread:

I daily drive my car. During the summer months my truck sits. I do not have a garage at my house so the car is parked outside for anyone to see. It gets rained on, etc.

Being that it is my daily driver I drive it everywhere and leave it unattended without much worry. Sure, people stop and take pictures and wait to talk to me about it, but always friendly in nature.
    I think the biggest concern is driving it. There is defensive driving, and there is delorean defensive driving. There are often people camping out in your blind spot taking pictures. You have to be very careful switching lanes. The car is very low and small, it can often not be seen by bigger vehicles or pulling out of an intersection or a parking spot.

Id definitely concern yourself with it more than a regular car, but I think being scared to leave it out of your sight is a bit overboard.
    Yea but you live in Canada, everyone is nice there. Down here we have jerks.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Yea but you live in Canada, everyone is nice there. Down here we have jerks.
    Josh is a jerk.

Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    So how tall are you? I'm 6' 7" and just fit in a D with manual trans.
    I'm only 6'2. I'm shocked 6'7" fits in a delorean!

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There are those who just have to have a souvenir. Whatever they can remove, tire valve caps, emblems. etc. At a DMA event one year someone just had to have a gearshift knob.
    Be Careful Out There!
    That too!

Deloreans are very rare here, so there are always opportunists out there.

My VIN:    7075

My Delorean is my holiday car, so every summer when I go abroad, I go with my Delorean. And because of this, I usually leave my car here and there. In a city center, in front of a restaurant or in a hotel parking lot. I never had any problem with this. My experience shows that people love the Delorean, but very rare that they touch it. So it seems that people in Europe are a bit more well behaved. If I am with the car or it is a car show, that is another issue however.
    Once, I left the car in a parking lot and when I got back, about 15 gypsies were around the car. They were looking, but they did not touch it! I was amazed.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

When i first got the car, I started parking away from others... but then I noticed I was getting MORE attention that way and found more people standing/leaning on it that way. I started parking in regular spaces and noticed that picture takers would be more careful walking around it snapping pics and since it was next to another vehicle, it seemed to deter people from leaning all over the car. Sure i was worried about other drivers, but with the car out in the open there were more people pulling up to it than if I were in a regular spot.

The one thing that always bugged me was watching people pull up on my door handles. That upset me more than anything.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast