FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Accessories - Ski Rack Adaptor

My VIN:    03254

Accessories - Ski Rack Adaptor

In 2008 I purchased a ski rack from our pal from NY Rob Grady. I learned about it from a posting he had made advertizing their limited availiblity on the original DMCTalk site.

Well it arrived nicely packaged a few days later and at the time I was very busy travelling around the country with work so I stored the box in a safe place and didn't think about it again. Then just the other day I saw it, opened it up and although it didn't have any mounting hardware that was easily remedied after a trip to the local ACE Hardware I got four bolts and washers for about $2.50.

FYI the original luggage rack has 4 holes that are threaded to accept a 4 mm bolt in order to attach the rack you need 4 of them and washers, I've forgotten the length but will post this information soon! I am very surprised and very happy with how strong and study it is attached to the rack!

Here are some pictures... and yes those are stainless steel Volant Machete skis that are in the rack! Volant's tag line used to be "Ride The Steel!". They no longer make stainless steel skis but I knew somebody at the factory here in Denver and these were a Demo pair that they were going to throw out when the company got bought out.
    Ski Rack 8-5-11 056.jpgSki Rack 8-5-11 057.jpgSki Rack 8-5-11 058.jpg

It is also apparent with the way the skis fit (barely) that this rack configuration was designed long before ski brakes became the norm!

Dan
    Last edited by dhaney; 08-05-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Really nice, I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Really nice, I like it!
    Thanks, I figured since I live in Colorado "Ski Country USA" and all it was only appropriate to have a ski rack. Not that I would drive the Delorean skiing, that is what my Xterra is for!

I just realized I think I now have all of the original factory accessories that were availible in 1981.

The original purchaser of the car paid for the automatic transmission, car cover, floor mats and the stainless steel cleaning kit. I purchased the luggage rack and now the ski adaptor.

What am I missing?

Dan

I just realized I think I now have all of the original factory accessories that were availible in 1981.

The original purchaser of the car paid for the automatic transmission, car cover, floor mats and the stainless steel cleaning kit. I purchased the luggage rack and now the ski adaptor.

What am I missing? Dan[/QUOTE]

I belive Sheepskin seat covers were offed for a short time.

Bruce Benson

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post

What am I missing?

Dan
    Both stripe kits, unless you have those in storage and not on the car.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

that raises a question that i have been pondering for a while: has anyone ever put both sets of stripes on their D at the same time?
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Both stripe kits, unless you have those in storage and not on the car.
    I forgot about the stripes, but I'm ok with that, IMHO the Delorean has a sort of timeless design. But there are two things that can really date the car to the late 70's early 80's, the side stripe, especially the wide one and white lettering on the tires.

I drove around today with the rack and skis and got a lot of positive feedback, I sort of wish it had the car's brushed finish, that would be a nice finishing touch.

I also never understood the sheepskin covers, because leather is so nice to sit on, you just want to make sure to cover the seat with a towel when it will be sitting in direct sunlight. But Bruce is right I do remeber that they were availible.

Dan
    Last edited by dhaney; 08-06-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    that raises a question that i have been pondering for a while: has anyone ever put both sets of stripes on their D at the same time?
    Yes, I have seen 2 or 3 cars over the years with both stripe kits installed at the same time. Wasn't very flattering IMO.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

According to Steve Wynne, the stripes were intended accent and match the interior color.

Wide Black stripe for Black interior. I believe It was offered early on when only black interiors were available.

Thin Grey for Grey interior. The thin grey came out later for the grey interior cars.

It makes sense, but it would also be nice to see a document corroborating this.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post
    In 2008 I purchased a ski rack from our pal from NY Rob Grady. I learned about it from a posting he had made advertizing their limited availiblity on the original DMCTalk site.

Well it arrived nicely packaged a few days later and at the time I was very busy travelling around the country with work so I stored the box in a safe place and didn't think about it again. Then just the other day I saw it, opened it up and although it didn't have any mounting hardware that was easily remedied after a trip to the local ACE Hardware I got four bolts and washers for about $2.50.

FYI the original luggage rack has 4 holes that are threaded to accept a 4 mm bolt in order to attach the rack you need 4 of them and washers, I've forgotten the length but will post this information soon! I am very surprised and very happy with how strong and study it is attached to the rack!

Here are some pictures... and yes those are stainless steel Volant Machete skis that are in the rack! Volant's tag line used to be "Ride The Steel!". They no longer make stainless steel skis but I knew somebody at the factory here in Denver and these were a Demo pair that they were going to throw out when the company got bought out.
    Ski Rack 8-5-11 056.jpgSki Rack 8-5-11 057.jpgSki Rack 8-5-11 058.jpg

It is also apparent with the way the skis fit (barely) that this rack configuration was designed long before ski brakes became the norm!

Dan
    Perhaps the skis were meant to sit side by side tips up. I'm sure 4 ski's would fit that way. 1 pair per occupant.

Btw, are those Volant Stainless ski's?

Also, are sure the mounting screws were 4MM. ( see Attached PDF ) The Luggage and Ski Racks were made in the USA, which is not know for using metric hardware. (Riv-nuts in Luggage rack).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-07-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast