FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: DeLorean + Shipping to Australia

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2011

    Posts:    6

    DeLorean + Shipping to Australia

    Hey guys,

    I've been interested in DeLorean's for a long time, but I haven't been in a position to buy one until recently.

    I live in Australia, so I'll have to find a car online - then organise shipping over here. I remember on the old forum there were quite a few people who've been there and done it, so I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers on who to deal with, how much it'll set me back and how long I can expect shipping to take once I find a car.

    For the car itself I'm looking to spend between $20,000 - $23000

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Slickness of SS SIMid's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Melbourne, Australia

    Posts:    1,380

    My VIN:    01955

    A few of us have done this recently. Also check out ozdelorean.com

    Which state yr in Tex? This may reflect who can steer u in the right direction. But with yr budget, u need to factor shipping costs and taxes. Plus any other additional costs with transportation from where the D is to the port destination.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2011

    Posts:    6

    Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    A few of us have done this recently. Also check out ozdelorean.com

    Which state yr in Tex? This may reflect who can steer u in the right direction. But with yr budget, u need to factor shipping costs and taxes. Plus any other additional costs with transportation from where the D is to the port destination.
    I'm in NSW. Yeah - I know it's going to cost a bit, but I don't really know much about shipping costs at all.

  4. #4
    Slickness of SS SIMid's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Melbourne, Australia

    Posts:    1,380

    My VIN:    01955

    Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    I'm in NSW. Yeah - I know it's going to cost a bit, but I don't really know much about shipping costs at all.
    Tex,

    Roughly, $20k D will equate to $6000ish in shipping and taxes. Then $50 for Import Permit (3-5 week wait), transport from where the D is located to Port for departure, $300-$1000. All estimates depending on purchase price, exchange rate, importer rates & charges location and any other additional costs. Also take into account compliance costs upon arrival in Australia.

    Not trying to scare you, just so u know what yr up against at the end!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2011

    Posts:    6

    Yeah thanks man. Around 5-6k was what I was expecting, so I wasn't too far off.

    If I may be so bold, sir - how much was yours?

  6. #6
    Mad Scientist RIUM+'s Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Brisbane, Australia

    Posts:    51

    My VIN:    966

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Don't forget to add in the cost of compliancing for Australian driving and some of the modifications you'll have to make for Australian roads, like replacing the seat belts and headlights. And expect delays! Realistically you're looking at a month to get the import permit, a month and a half for shipping plus a few weeks for modifications & compliancing. I'm in Brisbane, I bought my car 9 months ago and it's still not here... but my delay is because I'm getting a right-hand-drive conversion and that takes a while. There's just a little bit of mechanical work involved in a RHD conversion, haha!
    -Mike, Professional Geek, owner of VIN966

  7. #7
    Senior Member Chris 16409's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA.

    Posts:    1,380

    My VIN:    16409

    What do you have to do about the seat belts in Australia?
    Chris Miles

    For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

  8. #8
    Member Blackie's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Australia

    Posts:    80

    My VIN:    1919 & 2207

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    What do you have to do about the seat belts in Australia?
    The seat belts need to be ADR compliant (Australian Design Rule) and part of that requires the metal buckle to be of a closed loop type, whereas the original metal buckle on the D has an open end. See pic below:

    Paul Black - Vin 1919

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2011

    Posts:    1

    I have 2 cars on Guam which is a lot closer. They are both US spec cars so im not sure what would be involved in getting them legal for Australia. One is complete but needs some work, the other is a parts car. I am gonna be moving back to the states, so I am gonna let them go cheap. PM me if you may be interested.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2011

    Posts:    6

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by RIUM+ View Post
    Don't forget to add in the cost of compliancing for Australian driving and some of the modifications you'll have to make for Australian roads, like replacing the seat belts and headlights. And expect delays! Realistically you're looking at a month to get the import permit, a month and a half for shipping plus a few weeks for modifications & compliancing. I'm in Brisbane, I bought my car 9 months ago and it's still not here... but my delay is because I'm getting a right-hand-drive conversion and that takes a while. There's just a little bit of mechanical work involved in a RHD conversion, haha!
    Haha yeah, I've been following your thread about it! Frustrating stuff. Mind you, that conversion is pretty major work. I'm not worried about about the LHD, I think it adds character. If you've got the funds to do it though I can understand why, if you were to ever sell again - god forbid, you'd get that money back with interest.

    What company are you using to get it shipped over?

    I'm finishing up at uni and probably shouldn't be spending money on a 30 year old car, but if I don't buy one now I never will. There will never be a better time to buy either. They're legal to drive LHD, they won't get any cheaper, there won't be as many for sale and the dollar won't hold up for long. It's totally an investment!

    Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •