FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean + Shipping to Australia

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    The seat belts need to be ADR compliant (Australian Design Rule) and part of that requires the metal buckle to be of a closed loop type, whereas the original metal buckle on the D has an open end.
    So do you have to go to a junk yard and find some other seat belt buckle that you can retrofit to the DeLorean? Sounds like a pain. In some states (mostly California) they care a lot about the air, but you think they do a safety check. I mean they might pipe up if you have bald tiers, but I've heard nary a whisper about seat belt buckles. There's a lot more safety stuff on newer vehicles, so if some light is on, they'll probably make you fix it. To me it's counter intuitive, you think they'd spend more time worrying about the older cars than the new ones. Heck, if the car is old enough they don't even enforce the seat belt rule.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    2883

Tex,
    The seatbelts may not be an issue anyway. I'm in Sydney and my car has been changed to RHD and it still has the original seatbelts in it. You'll probably only need to change the headlights to left dip beam. Let me know if you'd like to see my car as maybe you've never seen a DeLorean before? They're pretty thin on the ground here!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDMC View Post
    Tex,
    The seatbelts may not be an issue anyway. I'm in Sydney and my car has been changed to RHD and it still has the original seatbelts in it. You'll probably only need to change the headlights to left dip beam. Let me know if you'd like to see my car as maybe you've never seen a DeLorean before? They're pretty thin on the ground here!
    Thanks mate, I'll be heading up to Sydney in the next couple of weeks so I might give you a bell.

I went to Los Angeles and saw a couple - the D at Universal City Walk, and the BTTF conversion at the studio but they were just in passing, and I've never been inside one before that's for sure.

My VIN:    6292 since Oct 1982 and THE DELOREAN TRAILER

Club(s):   (PNDC)

DeLoreans + Shipping to Australia

Tex. You may want to contact Toby Peterson, DeLorean Motor Company Northwest located in Bellevue, Washington, USA, just outside of Seattle Washington. He has already partaken in shipping 3 cars to Australia and is now is the final stages of getting a Right Hand Conversion ready for shipping to Australia. A beautiful car is at this very moment on the high seas to Australia. He has 3 DeLoreans in his show room for sale and in the final analysis, YOU CAN BELIEVE WHAT HE TELLS YOU!!!. A more honest man does not exist in this world. I'm certain that this can be attested to by DeLorean owners currently in Australia. Want references? advise. I urge you to call or contact Toby at 425/451-7000 or [email protected]. Your life will be made easier in achieving your dream doing business with this firm.

Owner/Vendor

My VIN:    2248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

RHD DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by RIUM+ View Post
    There's just a little bit of mechanical work involved in a RHD conversion, haha!
    The RHD DeLorean for RIUM+ has been running around for a solid week now. The car is running like a Rolex. Just a couple of last minute details ...

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but this project has just been so cool. RIUM+ has been an absolute joy to work with. I hope you like the result.
    Attached Images
    Toby Peterson
    DeLorean Service Northwest
    DeLorean Parts Northwest

My VIN:    1919 & 2207

Looks the goods Toby!
    Paul Black - Vin 1919

Real Cars are Steel Cars xbrules's Avatar

My VIN:    02065

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    So do you have to go to a junk yard and find some other seat belt buckle that you can retrofit to the DeLorean? Sounds like a pain. In some states (mostly California) they care a lot about the air, but you think they do a safety check. I mean they might pipe up if you have bald tiers, but I've heard nary a whisper about seat belt buckles. There's a lot more safety stuff on newer vehicles, so if some light is on, they'll probably make you fix it. To me it's counter intuitive, you think they'd spend more time worrying about the older cars than the new ones. Heck, if the car is old enough they don't even enforce the seat belt rule.

The seat belts aren't an issue, we can buy the Australian spec versions easily enough and they are made by the original DeLorean manufacturer KLIPPAN. I just purchased mine for 2065. $200 and they bolt straight in. although we do have to disable the seat belt buzzer.... Gosh darn :P
    Dave Newbury, 1976 XB Fairmont GS Hardtop 351, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #02065

Quote Originally Posted by xbrules View Post
    The seat belts aren't an issue, we can buy the Australian spec versions easily enough and they are made by the original DeLorean manufacturer KLIPPAN. I just purchased mine for 2065. $200 and they bolt straight in. although we do have to disable the seat belt buzzer.... Gosh darn :P
    How much did yours set you back mate?

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by DMCNW Toby View Post
    The RHD DeLorean for RIUM+ has been running around for a solid week now. The car is running like a Rolex. Just a couple of last minute details ...

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but this project has just been so cool. RIUM+ has been an absolute joy to work with. I hope you like the result.
    Now THAT looks natural!!

And I haven't seen a pair of driving gloves since the late 70s on Hart to Hart!

BTW Tex, I can vouch for Toby. He has worked on the D I had bought and she also runs like a "real" Rolex!

Real Cars are Steel Cars xbrules's Avatar

My VIN:    02065

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    How much did yours set you back mate?
    About $200 from Wilshire motor trimmers in Adelaide. Although you should be able to order them from most auto parts stores. I'll post the parts numbers a bit later.
    Dave Newbury, 1976 XB Fairmont GS Hardtop 351, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #02065

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast