FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Flux Capacitors...

Jedidentist: I wasn't really familiar with Diamond Select, but I see that you're right. These companies definitely cater to adults that don't want to grow up so to speak. In the end, they are all about making money though. Makes sense on cutting corners with accuracy in the name of profit. Imo, I think they went with a happy medium for accuracy, but a little high on the profit side with the current price. Looking at Jonathan's post, he bought his for $200 which I think is fair. Obviously they were making a profit at that price. I know cost of things go up over time, but I can't believe the cost of manufacturing went up 100% in a few years.

Jonathan and Nicholas R: Thanks for the detailed info on the FC. Interesting about the center strobe light on the originals. Seems like they went through more effort and expense to make it less screen accurate.

I remember awhile back there was a thread on FC and someone here built one out of a cardboard box, straws and some lights. He broke the cost down for all the parts including a trip to McDonalds for the straws, etc. It was pretty funny. I can't seem to find that thread and pictures again. I think it might have been on the old DMCtalk.com website though.

My VIN:    06369

Well, I have my temporary one...for individual travel purposes!

Attached Images

My VIN:    2848

I'm surprised how few members have flux capacitors. I was hoping to see some comparisons between Bobs and Bruces and ebay models.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by bxtech View Post
    Thanks for the info. Interesting. I would've never known unless I had both of them next to each other and "fluxing" at the same time.

As for the Diamond Select ones, I know it doesn't satisfy most of the hard core fans who have pointed out all of the incorrect details....but I have a feeling that they were never meant to be? I'm thinking that this was just a toy company that got the license to build exactly what they do......build a toy for kids? I'm thinking that they had originally intended these to be played with by children and they had no idea that they would be collected by enthusiasts one day.

However, with that said the price of these things sure have gotten out of hand! The Diamond Select one should be something you'd expect to see on the shelf at Toys R Us for $39.95. For $400, I agree though that they should be much more accurate. That Mr. Fusion repro is sure expensive too!
    So based on descriptions elsewhere in this thread... I have version 2 of the Diamond. I bought it used on eBay for less than $150. And, as I said before the casual observer doesn't know the difference. I usually am up front with people and say it's probably the least accurate but also the most affordable one out there.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    So based on descriptions elsewhere in this thread... I have version 2 of the Diamond. I bought it used on eBay for less than $150. And, as I said before the casual observer doesn't know the difference. I usually am up front with people and say it's probably the least accurate but also the most affordable one out there.
    You got a great deal on that! I don't think you can find them for that price anymore........not even used ones!

Jedidentist: Very cool watch! Where did you get that? I've never seen one before. What company makes those? Or is it a custom build?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1e2e/?srp=5

Fortunately, my wife got the hint (that I dropped twice) and got it for me for Christmas...before it sold out. Hopefully, they'll make more. They're already trying to sell them for 3x the price on eBay.

My VIN:    02261

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    I'm surprised how few members have flux capacitors. I was hoping to see some comparisons between Bobs and Bruces and ebay models.
    Totally 80s I would love to reveal pictures of my Flux Capacitor I purchased from Coulombe Enterprises back on March 9, 2014 but I have not received anything, yet.
    Via PayPal I purchased the Time Dispersal Series Flux Capacitor Item# TDSFC $699.00, Shipping and handling $42.00, Tax (6.000%) $41.94 for a grand total of $782.94.
    Mind you if you purchase from Coulombe Enterprises it may take a while to get it exactly right. Why is it taking so long? I have no idea. I hope to receive it by next spring to display it at car shows.
    Last edited by outatym2001; 01-03-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

I emailed them 2 weeks ago with a few questions and have heard nothing. Sounds like an unfortunate trend.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    Totally 80s I would love to reveal pictures of my Flux Capacitor I purchased from Coulombe Enterprises back on March 9, 2014 but I have not received anything, yet.
    Via PayPal I purchased the Time Dispersal Series Flux Capacitor Item# TDSFC $699.00, Shipping and handling $42.00, Tax (6.000%) $41.94 for a grand total of $782.94.
    Mind you if you purchase from Coulombe Enterprises it may take a while to get it exactly right. Why is it taking so long? I have no idea. I hope to receive it by next spring to display it at car shows.
    Holy crap are you serious? Are they made to order? Does the website list a lead time when you purchased it? 10 months is a long time to wait for anything, let alone a replica movie prop.

My VIN:    02261

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Holy crap are you serious? Are they made to order? Does the website list a lead time when you purchased it? 10 months is a long time to wait for anything, let alone a replica movie prop.
    Coulombe Enterprises web site gave no indication that these Flux Capacitors were made to order which made me assume they were already assembled and ready to ship. I am sort of losing confidence based on it has been one year since I sent payment via PayPal but Iím still holding out hope on receiving a Flux Capacitor. I donít understand why Bruce Coulombe has dropped off DMC Talk. Maybe he is too busy?

Below is the very first paragraph in an email I received back on Monday, March 24, 2014.

Dear Purchasers,

I am emailing all of you to inform you of a delay we are having in assembling our Flux Capacitors for your orders. As I pulled one of the COA Flux Capacitors from our self, I notice a flaw (small air bubbles) in the replicated Torr relay acrylic clear tubes. These air bubbles are inherent through out our inventory of tubes. I will not send out any of our props that are less than high quality. Therefore, I have to inform all listed about that we will have a delay in getting these clear tubes replicated. We are told that from today we will have at least a two to three weeks in receiving our replacements. This means to you that we can not assemble your order for at least that time frame.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast