FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Electric DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by Jpalatinus View Post
    I am so glad you posted this, i had been following your posts and I was actually talking to ev west last week about sending me a kit for converting a delorean they said sure i would just need to make the motor mounts drive shafts and battery box and the lead time would be 3 months. I asked them if they has cad drawings for motor mounts and they told me someone quit and took all their cad drawings but they could send me photos of presumably your car.
    They lost the CAD?? Wow... I guess photos are all you're gonna get, sadly.

Speaking of, here's a few of recent progress.

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    They lost the CAD?? Wow... I guess photos are all you're gonna get, sadly.

Speaking of, here's a few of recent progress.

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    Looks like they did a nice job, albeit very late.
    I like how they put everything together in a common case.
    I wonder what the weight bias is now though.

What motor did they use, forgive me if its already been stated?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Their workmanship is very good, but yeah, shame it's taken so long.
    I'll have to get it weighed once it's all done. There are batteries going in the frunk too, I think the weight distribution will be a little better than stock but not by much.

It's a small Tesla drive unit (front motor from I think a Model S), about 300hp.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Their workmanship is very good, but yeah, shame it's taken so long.
    I'll have to get it weighed once it's all done. There are batteries going in the frunk too, I think the weight distribution will be a little better than stock but not by much.

It's a small Tesla drive unit (front motor from I think a Model S), about 300hp.
    Ok, this is what motor I thought it was. Fits very nice. The gears are turning in my head now...

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

Damn, it’s been 7 years since the project started???

This is sad.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Damn, it’s been 7 years since the project started???

This is sad.
    Well it does look like it I coming along

DO you know how many Tesla battery modules they are using?, it looks like 8 Tesla modules in the back there. My limited understanding of the Tesla drive motor typically uses 16 modules (in a Tesla) and needs 14 to get the voltage to drive the motor without some serious other modifications. Are they putting 6-8 modules in the frunk? I imagine they cut open the spare tire area, do you have any pics of this? A single Tesla module weighs 55 lbs so we are talking about 770-880 lbs in batteries alone.

stock DeLorean engine+ trans is ~ 420lbs

Tesla motor ~220
    batteries ~800-900 (with box and wiring)
    I suspect we are talking about 600-700 lbs over stock but with better weight distribution. Dave Delmans Delorean used 8 Tesla modules total and he was only able to fit 6 in the back and 2 in the frunk He used a weaker motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpalatinus View Post
    Well it does look like it I coming along

DO you know how many Tesla battery modules they are using?, it looks like 8 Tesla modules in the back there. My limited understanding of the Tesla drive motor typically uses 16 modules (in a Tesla) and needs 14 to get the voltage to drive the motor without some serious other modifications. Are they putting 6-8 modules in the frunk? I imagine they cut open the spare tire area, do you have any pics of this? A single Tesla module weighs 55 lbs so we are talking about 770-880 lbs in batteries alone.
    There are 8 in the front, that's the 4th photo. The 3rd and 5th photos show the rear battery box, which appears to have 6 or 7 modules, measuring from the picture. I don't remember exactly how many they've put in, but it looks like at least 14.
    So between the motor and batteries, I think the weight in the rear about equals the added weight up front.

They did remove the floor of the frunk just about completely to fit the battery box under the hood. I think it's the right compromise, rarely do I travel in the DeLorean with more things than just fit in the passenger cargo space.

So between the motor and batteries, I think the weight in the rear about equals the added weight up front.

They did remove the floor of the frunk just about completely to fit the battery box under the hood. I think it's the right compromise, rarely do I travel in the DeLorean with more things than just fit in the passenger cargo space.
    Wow that is awesome, i had been looking at trying to fit modules in the fuel tank area but their solution probably makes the most sense. And i agree the weight thought slightly more than stock is probably a near ideal 50/50 ratio I am curious what they did with the brake master cylinder though, i cant see that box fitting there with the stock brake master cylinder in place.

I'll definitely be sure to get photos of the frame before the body goes on so you all can look at those details.

I did find this photo I'd forgotten about:
    222693117_4288066051252116_4870619777663994092_n.jpg
    Last edited by Mario; 03-20-2022 at 01:13 PM.

I'll definitely be sure to get photos of the frame before the body goes on so you all can look at those details.

I did find this photo I'd forgotten about:
    222693117_4288066051252116_4870619777663994092_n.jpg
    Thanks for that picture,
    I am in the designing stages of an ev project t like this and hoping to replicate the fitting of 8 modules into the frunk. The DeLorean frunk has about 28 inches front to back it looks like they mounted the modules at a slight angle in the box to get them to fit length wise. I still think that they probably had to move the brake booster/ brake linkage further to the drivers side to get that box to fit. Its possible that just removing the brake booster and using an I booster or something like that works though. Please keep us posted on progress and if you happen to get pics/ info of the brake master cylinder area I would love to see that.

Joe p

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast