FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting issues after maintenance

My VIN:    4534

Starting issues after maintenance

I finally got Red back together and tried to start her but I wasn't able to. This is what was changed while she was down:

New master, slave, and clutch cables
    New distributor rotor and cap
    New spark plug wires
    New plugs
    General under the hood cleaning
    Fixing 2 electrical connections that were broken. One was the link to the diagnostic port and the other was this

For this one I made a short dual pigtail with 18 gauge wire and off the shelf electrical connectors.

This is what happened when I tried to start her:

I started with not getting any fuel so I jumpered the RPM contacts. I got fuel and an exhaust pop. On further exploration I found that I put the distributor on upside down because I'm an idiot. I fixed that and tried again today. With the RPM contacts jumpered I verified I was getting fuel but it sounded like I wasn't getting any spark. I found that my new ignition cable's boot was forcing the cable off of the coil. I spread the metal connector inside enough to make sure it held. I'm not sure what I'll do for a permanent fix yet. I put the RPM relay back in place and she fired up but only for a couple of seconds. The engine sounded like it struggled to a stop, like something was putting resistance on it and pulled it to a stop. When I tried to crank it again I got the same sort of feeling from the engine. I'm pretty sure all the constant cranking took its toll on the battery. I'm worried that the alternator just gave up the ghost though.

If I can get her to crank and run tomorrow I'm going to disconnect the battery and see if she'll stay running. If she doesn't crank, any ideas of what I could be doing wrong?
    Last edited by Kenny_Z; 08-11-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added plugs to the maintenance list.

My VIN:    03572

Do not disconnect the battery while the engine is running. That most likely will damage a lot of things.

Do you have a multimeter to test some voltage readings? If so, check the voltage on the coil terminals with the key turned to on (engine not running).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post

For this one I made a short dual pigtail with 18 gauge wire and off the shelf electrical connectors.
    Do I see it correctly? Is one of the white wires not connected to the resistor?
    IIRC one of the tabs of the resistor pack (think the lower one) should have two wires on the same tab.

Could be (part of) your problem.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    ex-01678

Check out about 2/3rds down the page at the ignition resistor reference picture for an OEM setup: http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...materials.html

Jeff

I didn't include a picture of my fix but I have made a pigtail to put those 2 lines on the one connector. I'll take a picture when I get home.

About the cutting the battery off while the car was running, I'm used to 60s iron that doesn't care about much of anything as long as it has air, oil, and gas. I found a dead alternator that way. I'll test the coil connections when I get back to the house.

Yes! I have a running, driving, beautiful Delorean again

I found the issue, it was twofold. Last night I killed the battery and the issue dragging the motor to a stop was a major vacuum leak. I didn't have the idle motor connection to the pipe of agony on well enough and it slipped off when the motor fired up. I connected it back, tightened it up, and she fired up better than ever. She's running like a champ. Now all I have to do is get used to the new feeling in the clutch.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a longer shakedown drive. Today was just a couple of miles to and from my parent's house since it is a safe place for a breakdown. I forgot how many looks this car gets...

Next major upgrade will be a new accumulator. After that I'm hoping to hold off on the major expenses for a bit.

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Yes! I have a running, driving, beautiful Delorean again

I found the issue, it was twofold. Last night I killed the battery and the issue dragging the motor to a stop was a major vacuum leak. I didn't have the idle motor connection to the pipe of agony on well enough and it slipped off when the motor fired up. I connected it back, tightened it up, and she fired up better than ever. She's running like a champ. Now all I have to do is get used to the new feeling in the clutch.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a longer shakedown drive. Today was just a couple of miles to and from my parent's house since it is a safe place for a breakdown. I forgot how many looks this car gets...

Next major upgrade will be a new accumulator. After that I'm hoping to hold off on the major expenses for a bit.
    Kenny,

If you're interested, my best friend Casey and myself will be at the 9Mile BK Cruise In on Saturday Aug 13th. I know this is extremely short notice, but I figured I'd drop you the line.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Cool, I can try to make it out there. What times?

I may or may not drive Red depending on how well the shake down cruising goes.

My VIN:    3299

We plan on being there around 6pm. Sorry it's so last-second, but we literally decided to get together about 2 days ago.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

No problem, I didn't have any plans today except to drive Red. She has been solid and is running better than before the surgery so I expect to be able to bring her. Now I just need to wash the car...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast