FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Craig radio features and controls

My VIN:    3937

Craig radio features and controls

My car (3937) has the original Craig radio. It is the earlier one without a clock on the display as I have the console clock. I have been using it more recently and had a couple questions about the controls.

When you are playing a cassette, and it reaches the end of the side, will it automatically switch over to the other side? Was this called "auto-reverse" once upon a time? (sorry to the young guys, this is old school! lol) I'm not sure mine flips over by itself, so I eject the tape and put it back in the other way.

Same goes for fast forwarding or rewinding, will it stop itself when it reaches the end or the beginning of the tape? Or will it keep going and going, trying to rewind, and burn itself out?

I put an old "discman" type adapter in through the tape deck that then the wire plugs into your headphone jack of your iPod. It works! But it seems like not all the speakers are letting out the music. If I have just the FM radio going, I hear it on all four (and especially the one behind the drivers head) and the same with a regular cassette (ala mixed tape Dance 96... hahaha), but when playing through the tape adapter, it seems like only the rear passenger is going. Is there a STEREO or MONO feature I am forgetting?

The right radio knob has a FADER control, which brings it from front to back, but I don't see a BALANCE control to go from side to side.

It's not completely out of the question for my speaker wires to be iffy, and maybe a bit loose. I have never worked on any aspects of the stereo to date.

And better yet... anyone have an electronic copy of the CRAIG radio owner's manual that might have existed once upon a time? It might be found on the internet if I knew what model # it was...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes and yes.

The cassette drive auto-reverses at the end of a tape during Play, also after FForwarding to the end. In Reverse it stops at end and then goes to Play mode.

The Balance control is engaged by pulling the Volume knob outward and turning it while held out. Let go and you are back to Volume.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    When you are playing a cassette, and it reaches the end of the side, will it automatically switch over to the other side? Was this called "auto-reverse" once upon a time? (sorry to the young guys, this is old school! lol) I'm not sure mine flips over by itself, so I eject the tape and put it back in the other way.

Same goes for fast forwarding or rewinding, will it stop itself when it reaches the end or the beginning of the tape? Or will it keep going and going, trying to rewind, and burn itself out?

I put an old "discman" type adapter in through the tape deck that then the wire plugs into your headphone jack of your iPod. It works! But it seems like not all the speakers are letting out the music. If I have just the FM radio going, I hear it on all four (and especially the one behind the drivers head) and the same with a regular cassette (ala mixed tape Dance 96... hahaha), but when playing through the tape adapter, it seems like only the rear passenger is going. Is there a STEREO or MONO feature I am forgetting?

The right radio knob has a FADER control, which brings it from front to back, but I don't see a BALANCE control to go from side to side.

It's not completely out of the question for my speaker wires to be iffy, and maybe a bit loose. I have never worked on any aspects of the stereo to date.

And better yet... anyone have an electronic copy of the CRAIG radio owner's manual that might have existed once upon a time? It might be found on the internet if I knew what model # it was...
    Hey Jonathan.

Yes, that was called "auto - reverse."

To be honest, I'm not familiar with the function of the tape deck. Since my LED screen still works, I avoid putting in tapes. I'm sure you've heard that the 30 year old plastic wiring connector to the screen can break with the opening and closing of the tape deck door. Just a heads up on that so you're not bummed or surprised if this happens. The lack of speakers playing with a tape must be a left/right issue as opposed to front/back. That's a result of the play head either being dirty or aging. Try a head cleaner, or get in there with a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it and scrub down the play head.

There is no balance control as far as I know.
    There is a button (labeled "ST" IIRC) to engage stereo mode, otherwise it always defaults to mono.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by rwipfler View Post
    The Balance control is engaged by pulling the Volume knob outward and turning it while held out. Let go and you are back to Volume.
    The more you know!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    And better yet... anyone have an electronic copy of the CRAIG radio owner's manual....? It might be found on the internet if I knew what model # it was...
    The Craig radio-cassette player in the earlier cars is a W460.

Not sure there are any such operating instructions for it on the net. Here, with minor rotation and scaling bugs, are the 4 pages from the 1981 DeLorean Owner's Manual that cover this item:
    DMC Craig Instr p19.pdf
    DMC Craig Instr p20.pdf
    DMC Craig Instr p21.pdf
    DMC Craig Instr p22.pdf

You can see that p.20 details the multi-function knob controls, including the separate bass and treble on the knob behind the volume/power knob on the left. Another less-than-obvious feature on this unit is the channel SCAN setup detailed on p.21.
    Last edited by Rich; 08-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.