FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear Rubber Brake Line Removal ?

Question Rear Rubber Brake Line Removal ?

I need to remove the rear rubber brake lines from the hard lines that go into the frame......

My question is what is the easiest or best trick in removing the nut which is very hard to get to with a line wrench etc.....? The passenger side rear looks really tuff

I woul love to hear how you guys did this.....
    I know there is a trick to everything....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
    I need to remove the rear rubber brake lines from the hard lines that go into the frame......

My question is what is the easiest or best trick in removing the nut which is very hard to get to with a line wrench etc.....? The passenger side rear looks really tuff

I woul love to hear how you guys did this.....
    I know there is a trick to everything....
    Remove the lines connecting to it, remove the nuts holding the hose to the brackets on each end and then hit the end with a hammer to push it out of the bracket.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Remove the lines connecting to it, remove the nuts holding the hose to the brackets on each end and then hit the end with a hammer to push it out of the bracket.
    You answered the hard part. He is still figuring out how to get the nut off on the transmission side.

No other real magic, just dexterity. Some people drop the trans mounts (I'm assuming the OP has an automatic based on what he said) for more room, but it can be done in place with some practice. You can't really swing a hammer at the frame end unless the trans is out of the car, so you end up using other tools (prybars etc.).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You answered the hard part. He is still figuring out how to get the nut off on the transmission side.

No other real magic, just dexterity. Some people drop the trans mounts (I'm assuming the OP has an automatic based on what he said) for more room, but it can be done in place with some practice. You can't really swing a hammer at the frame end unless the trans is out of the car, so you end up using other tools (prybars etc.).

You're right, I misunderstood the question and didn't answer it directly. To undo the lines from the rubber hoses you use a LOT of penetrating fluid, patience and flare nut wrenches. Once you loosen the flare nuts you move the flare nuts back and forth till they will turn without twisting or bending the hard lines. You want to try not to damage the hard lines. Oftentimes it is also difficult to remove the hoses from the brackets. That's when you have to force them out any way you can. You should do all 4 hoses at once as long as you are doing this job.
    David Teitelbaum

I thought about using a crow's foot tool on a short 3" ext........
    what size is the nut on the hard brake line that i need to loosen that connects to the rubber line on the other side of the frame ?
    Thanks guys for the help so far....

To answer a few questions I had after completing the job........
    As David T. stated above you will need to soak all the connections wihe penetrating oil...I think PB Blaster is the quickest and the best...
    The best tools for the job is a line wrench style Crow's Foot(13mm and 15mm) with a short 3" extension and ratchet
    Take your time and be patient......