FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elio vs. Delorean

My VIN:    2706

Elio vs. Delorean

I Hope this little thing makes it into production, I think it's a great idea. I am all about American jobs/manufacturing, and new companies succeeding in America. Tesla are really the only ones who were able to start their own car company and make it last in America since the big 3. Nobody thought they would succeed. John Delorean stopped main line production in less then a year, and went into receivership what a year after first production? (something like that lol please don't attack me if i am little off) This story seems to have a lot of similarity. It will be interesting to watch. Will they be the next Tesla, or the next big failure in the automotive industry? What do you guys think? I would totally buy one for my daily commute of 80 miles.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

A link to whatever you are talking about would be nice
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I dunno. Elio has too many different things about it and that makes me think it will have a hard time going mainstream. From the shape, the gas card financing (you can pay more at the pump and the extra money goes towards the car), limited cargo, 10 second 0-60, the shape, and the perception that it isn't safe. Plus, I'm pretty sure you need a motorcycle license for this car since it has less than four wheels.

In my experience it's hard to convince people that the Smartcar still has to pass the same safety tests ad regulations as their normal sized car so I imagine the same will happen here. Sure, Tesla has a lot of new different things as well (what with the lack of a gas tank), but it still looks like a regular sedan to those who aren't car people. They even gave it a black grille looking front cap thing to blend in more. Although the common assumption is that the upcoming cheaper Model III will also look like a regular sedan and/or crossover (supposedly to be named the Model Y).

The only thing that makes me doubt my feelings that it'll go the way of the dodo--err--DeLorean is the low price of $6,800.
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

That's my thing, and don't thing and don't get me wrong i would like to see it succeed cause I would buy one, but will Americans really drive this? In order to build the amount of cars needed to sell for that cheap they would need a metric !@it tone of interest. Apparently they would have to sell as many ellios as Mazda sold last year to be financially viable.

In the UK, electric cars are actively encouraged.
    They pay no VED (Road tax) compared to £1100 (US$1500) per year for a new RangeRover V8. (That is a tax/duty just to be allowed to use the public roads). £230 (US$350) for my old Delorean
    They are exempt from London congestion charges, £400 pa (US$600), to be allowed to drive in London.
    As a result, sales are increasing (over 100% increase year on year) but from a very small starting number. Only 1% of total sales iirc.
    In the UK a full bike licence (over 125cc) and all car licences, qualify you to drive a 3-wheeler.
    The problem with all electric cars is how the electricity is generated, most comes from fossil burning power-stations, so you are just moving the pollution from the tail-pipe to the chimney stack.
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Cool. At least they learned from the Reliant Robin to put the single wheel in the back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Yes looks like they've copied the Morgan from the 1920's.
    Crazy car, The Reliant layout was a cost saving design & obviously not meant to be driven by idiots!
    I loves my grooves!

If you want a 10-second 0-60 and 84mpg, look no further than the Honda Insight! Most are less than $6,800, even. I love mine, it's a great car. A lot of people on the Insight forums are excited for the Elio to come out, too.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    In the UK, electric cars are actively encouraged.
    They pay no VED (Road tax)
    Compared to the great state of California, who now wants to charge a road/freeway use tax to all vehicles, electric and gas, thanks to all of the hybrids and electrics on the road. Our state used to fund (supposedly) road maintenance through a small fuel tax, but since there are so many cars not using as much or if any fuel (and California still gives tax refunds for hybrids and electrics), they've decided to ding EVERYONE who drives by charging a per mile fee to all residents - of course this doesn't apply to visitors from other states, or the thousands of cars coming up from MEXICO every day that aren't smog legal.

...and that's a whole other rant that might fall into political territory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast