FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket headlights

My VIN:    5625

Aftermarket headlights

Hey guys-

I'm considering new headlights for the D. Are those available on eBay good or no? I'm looking for more of a bright white/blue color. I have not decided if HID's are the way to go, but I'm open. I'm not looking to light up the world with them, just get away from the dim yellow color that is stock.

Could everyone that have upgraded their headlights please post pics and opinions on their new set ups? I'm interested to see what's out there....

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Trstno1; 02-09-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    6125

I'm not sure if there is one single thread that documents all the various headlight options but there are quite a few choices given that our 4x6 sealed beam headlights were used in tons of applications. The company I work for still uses standard halogens on our fire trucks as well as a huge range of others. I have seen:

Sylvania Silverstars (brighter whiter light, sealed beam construction)

Sealed beam conversion to H7 removable bulb (Involves swapping out the sealed beam lamp for a housing that fits an H7 bulb)

HID conversion (square shaped housing with round projector lens inside)

LED conversion (square shaped housing with LED projector lenses inside

There are also LED conversions that have an array of smaller high intensity LED's in a square pattern.

I prefer the stock appearance of the sealed beam light but wanted a whiter color and increased brightness so I went with the silverstars. They're also plug and play, and relatively cheap compared to some of the other options:
    Last edited by Mark D; 02-09-2016 at 02:49 PM.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Silverstars are great, but getting harder to find in auto parts stores. In addition, $100 for all 4 bulbs is a lot to swallow at once.

But, I like the look.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    4665

Beautiful photo!

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

As an update for those interested in getting Silverstars, Oreilly auto parts has H4656ST and H4651STs in stock, with free shipping. Add something small to the order (to get it over $100), and you can get 20% off $100 or more with code TAX20. I got out the door for $94 shipped.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    As an update for those interested in getting Silverstars, Oreilly auto parts has H4656ST and H4651STs in stock, with free shipping. Add something small to the order (to get it over $100), and you can get 20% off $100 or more with code TAX20. I got out the door for $94 shipped.
    curious if the silverstar gets hotter than stock. you know cuz of eye brows...

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    curious if the silverstar gets hotter than stock. you know cuz of eye brows...
    They do draw more power than the OEM bulbs. Not sure if that results in more heat at the bulb though. I've had siverstars for 6 years and it's a big improvement over the stock bulbs. Light is much whiter color also.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

After 11 years of dealing with the stock headlights, I finally installed the Silverstars 6 weeks ago. Totally worth it! Should have done it years ago. And they keep the exact stock appearance -- something I wasn't willing to give up.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    <2000

+1 on the SilverStars. In addition to the points already made, I like that they are the same brand (Sylvania) the car came with originally.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    A few days ago I ended up ordering Halogen lights for my car. Silverstars are halogen but costly so I looked for an alternative. I found lights and ironically they're with almost identical part numbers (H4656/H4651) but with different end numbers and are made by "Wagner" but they are also halogen lights. At less than $6.00 per light, I was willing to give them a shot.

Has anyone else tried these halogen lights by Wagner? I wonder how they compare to the Silverstars. I'll have them installed this weekend.
    Last edited by dn010; 02-10-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast