FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I will stick with the 2100 because my car was lightning fast with it. I am in the process of making the replacement carburetor the same specs as the original carburetor even though I can't test drive anything at least I can give my replacement car back to Bill. It is his property.

I wish Bill could see that I'm trying to do the right thing.
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 03-17-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

If your car *WAS* lightening fast (past tense), chances are something else changed other than fuel delivery. There is very little inside a 2100 to go bad, and the things that can fail are nearly all idle and off idle devices (choke cap, accelerator pump, etc). After the throttle plates open, fuel delivery is managed by air flow alone. Make sure the choke plate is opening all the way (closed choke plate restricts air flow -- good when the engine is cold, bad when the engine is warmed up).

I'd suspect ignition, especially since you were running excessive voltage through the system for an extended period of time. Obviously the ECU may have been damaged. Normally the ECU controls hall effect voltage -- don't know if excessive voltage into the ECU could cause excessive voltage through the distributor pickup as well. You can wire a Duraspark ignition module temporarily using 1/4" quick connects scotch locked to the factory harness.

Bill Robertson

Single plane carburetor manifold

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    If your car *WAS* lightening fast (past tense), chances are something else changed other than fuel delivery. There is very little inside a 2100 to go bad, and the things that can fail are nearly all idle and off idle devices (choke cap, accelerator pump, etc). After the throttle plates open, fuel delivery is managed by air flow alone. Make sure the choke plate is opening all the way (closed choke plate restricts air flow -- good when the engine is cold, bad when the engine is warmed up).

I'd suspect ignition, especially since you were running excessive voltage through the system for an extended period of time. Obviously the ECU may have been damaged. Normally the ECU controls hall effect voltage -- don't know if excessive voltage into the ECU could cause excessive voltage through the distributor pickup as well. You can wire a Duraspark ignition module temporarily using 1/4" quick connects scotch locked to the factory harness.

Bill Robertson
    Hi bill was trying to contact you about payment and shipping of single plane manifold kit -thanks

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post

Bill Robertson
    Thank you Bill. I really do appreciate the information.
    Sincerely,
    Louis
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Question

Bill, the problem is off idle. just as the throttle plates open up from idle it goes to die out. And when feathering the gas lightly it will rev but in gear is has no acceleration. The accelerator pump diaphragm looks brand new.'

Do you know what the power valve rating is in HG? This would be the power valve on the original carb as the replacement one had a plugged power valve.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
    Hi bill was trying to contact you about payment and shipping of single plane manifold kit -thanks
    I've got you scheduled for a Peugeot manifold w/ manual trans carb.

My intention is to price the Peugeot manifolds/adapter plates the same as fabricated manifolds.

Just added up material and subcontracted labor cost for a fabricated manifold:
    Central Plenum McMaster 8975K268 43.20
    Top Plate McMaster 8975K235 19.87
    Flanges McMaster 8975K91 18.77
    Elbows (4) McMaster 43485K123 148.56
    Runners McMaster 5038K241 20.95
    Throttle Bracket Bar McMaster 8975K594 1.96
    Shipping 10.00
    Labor: Drill Central Plenum 50.00
    Labor: Welding 170.00

That's $483 *WITHOUT any compensation for my own time cutting and shaping the pieces (all done by hand).

Does kind of irritate me that I go to all this trouble to laboriously make the pieces by hand, yet owners of late, especially on that other forum, act as if I am mistreating them. Makes me feel very taken for granted. I used to enjoy making these things to help owners out, but the last few people I've helped have been so high maintenance, and have such a bad entitlement complex, that they risk screwing everything up for everybody else.

Manifolds3&4.jpg

Bill Robertson

There are a few other manifold costs: carb hold down studs and nuts, gasket between the top plate and central plenum (or between the adapter and Peugeot manifold), brass vacuum barbs, brass plugs for unused holes, etc.

Bill Robertson

I sourced the peugeot manifolds from overseas and will be looking for me. Me and a gentleman are trying to get a CAD design and reproduction going to spare owners feeling guilty for taking advantage of content, lol. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The project may take a bit of time to get underway, but will be a surefire way to get Deloreans back on the road without replacing the many kjet components that are sometimes likely to fail.

*Correction* Looking for more, not me.

As stated, I'd relocate the carburetor to the center of the manifold. That's where all OEM carbs were located.

Peugeot 2 barrel is offset to one end of the manifold because it had a 1 barrel at the other end (like running a dual quad or 6 pack manifold with the other venturi openings capped off).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 03-18-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast