FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Another DeLorean Fire!

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I'd strongly recommend getting the original plastic fuel lines (they are at the fuel pump as well as the accumulator) replaced with the correctly rated fuel hose along with proper fuel hose clamps.
    Dan, you wouldn't happen to know the part numbers for those? I might get an order in as soon as I can...
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to be sure, but would the contents of this set cover everything?

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/br...tion-line-set/
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Those lines you linked look like everything to replace the lines on the engine only.

The plastic replacement line number is #106979 through DMCH. The replacement is just a rubber hose, if you need to see where these hoses are they are all #4 in this link:http://store.delorean.com/c-274-2-1-...ulatoretc.aspx

While you're at it I'd also replace the rubber flex hose on the accumulator #106997, it is #36 on the above link. The accumulator lines are a PITA, if you haven't done anything with it I'd say plan a good portion of the day to accomplish just that.

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to be sure, but would the contents of this set cover everything?

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/br...tion-line-set/
    Last edited by dn010; 05-17-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10644

Looks like the towing company posted a photo. https://www.instagram.com/p/BFiJ20bJPsV

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    Looks like the towing company posted a photo. https://www.instagram.com/p/BFiJ20bJPsV
    I see he posted it together with a cheesy BTTF reference. I don't think that is appropriate in this unfortunate circumstance.

Condolences to the owner.

Thanks for sharing. As mentioned above, do we know the details of the fuel line work?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03037

Indeed. Another sad post. I asked on instagram if the owner had installed new fuel lines himself and where he got them from or what? How many Deloreans burned down this year... is that two (2) now? At the current accident burn down rate... our cars will sadly be extinct in no time
    Last edited by skill; 05-18-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Not sure if you saw the other fire thread but this is what I have zip tied to my engine cover:

http://www.amazon.com/BlazeCut-Autom...ire+supression

Cheaper alternative to the actual auto fire suppression systems but between this and an EFI engine with fewer points of possible fuel leaks, I worry much less.
    In case anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like installed:
    -----Dan B.

Just received an eMail inquiry about car fires (relative to carburetion).

There appears to be a lot of misinformation about vehicle fires. Real world car fires are nothing like Hollywood movie car fires. 99.99787% of the time the vehicle does not explode. Batteries and tires explode, but not the vehicle itself.

YouTube is full of every vehicle imaginable burning (including electric cars). This clip allows you to watch a pickup burn for nearly 10 minutes (driver side tire explodes at 3:40, personally I don't think the explosion at :44 is the bumpers):

Notice how calmly the fire fighters approach the truck to put it out. It isn't because the fire fighters are ignorant or stupid -- they just know how real world car fires work.

By the time the fire department gets there it's too late to save your car. You need to carry an extinguisher because you are there long before the fire department.

I recommend watching some vehicle fires on YouTube so if something similar happens you will know what you are really dealing with rather than Hollywood mythology.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

In case anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like installed:
    I've always been a little sceptical of those fire suppressor systems, probably without cause.

Indeed I've seen one in action, all be it not in a car, but I would worry that whilst it may smother the fire initially there is still a huge amount of heat in the engine bay, is there not a chance that I could flare back up after the suppressor kit is out of gas?

James

My VIN:    10644

And another one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvkiqiAUoy

Attached Images
    Last edited by BladeBronson; 08-30-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast