FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Secondary Battery for Marker Lights, etc.

My VIN:    11633 (and formerly 3133)

Secondary Battery for Marker Lights, etc.

Hi. I'm planning to install a small battery pack (one of those little car boosters), which will charge from the car when it is running. The main purpose for this battery (apart from any emergency boosting if necessary) will be to power marker lights, etc. when the car is not running... For car shows, or any periods of time when the doors will be open, etc.

My plan is to install a relay that will energize from the ignition wire to toggle power on the appropriate fuse(s), switching power from the battery pack to the D's power when the car is running. Instead of cutting the wires going to the fusebox, I intend to plug connectors into the fuse socket itself (replacing with an inline fuse of course)... I know the D has some interesting electrical quirks, so I thought I'd ask around before doing this in case I'm potentially opening up a can of worms.

On a secondary note, I am also looking at disabling power to the headlights when the car isn't running (with a manual hidden switch to override this if necessary). Has anybody done this one? I didn't see anything when searching the forum.

Thanks for any input!

VIN11633

Low amperage LED bulbs in the incandescent sockets are cheaper and easier.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Low amperage LED bulbs in the incandescent sockets are cheaper and easier.

Bill Robertson
    They certainly are. You can leave them on for hours and not drain the battery very much at all. Keep the battery pack anyway, if you don't need it you may be able to help someone else who does. As for disabling the headlights, just get a battery master switch if you are worried about that kind of thing.
    David Teitelbaum

Oops, I should have mentioned... I'm not a fan of LEDs in older tech. No matter the colour temp, it just "feels" wrong to me. I painstakingly replace all the "upgraded" LEDs from pinball machines when I restore them, too.

I guess if a D can run fine w/ the fuse removed, there shouldn't be any problem in powering them separately... even if they're sharing a ground....?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    just get a battery master switch if you are worried about that kind of thing.
    The thing is, I'm forgetful, and will leave them on in a parking lot. It takes just as much to remember to use the master switch... which would also kill the memory in my stereo. I do have one to install, though, for when I'm working on the car or storing it for more than a few days.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu42 View Post
    Oops, I should have mentioned... I'm not a fan of LEDs in older tech. No matter the colour temp, it just "feels" wrong to me.
    Fair enough. Fill your boots.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu42 View Post

On a secondary note, I am also looking at disabling power to the headlights when the car isn't running (with a manual hidden switch to override this if necessary). Has anybody done this one? I didn't see anything when searching the forum.

Thanks for any input!

VIN11633
    By this, do you mean the lights will go off when you turn the ignition off? If so, it's as simple as installing a relay or two but you'll need to hack a few wires. I did this years ago and followed this guide:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/lightrelays.html

After this mod, I had an issue which I figured out myself here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...eadlight+relay
    Last edited by dn010; 06-30-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can always install a battery master switch and run a bypass wire (with an inline fuse) to the radio power around the master switch. That way you won't lose your time or presets. You can also get an alarm that will alert you when the lights are on and the motor is off to remind you to turn the lights off. If you want to get fancy you can add a relay to kill the headlights when the motor is off or just go all the way and set up daytime running lights. Nothing wrong with a few LED lights in the doors.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    After this mod, I had an issue which I figured out myself here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...eadlight+relay
    Wow, thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for re the headlights!