FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: How do you install the battery strap?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,607

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    What AGM manufacture and model did you choose? I also have an old Interstate battery that's still working at 7 years but thinking about AGM.
    Ron
    The alternator is not designed for AGM type batteries. The charging profile is not proper and will kill an AGM battery prematurely. If you consider the added expense of an AGM there are no benefits to using one. A good, nationally branded lead-acid battery will easily last 5-7 years depending on how you take care of it. Interstate is a good brand. Never let a battery go completely dead. Never let it freeze. Keep it charged when not in use. Use a Battery Tender (or other smart trickle charger) for 1 day a month if you aren't actively using the car.
    David Teitelbaum

  2. #12
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    2,371

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    What AGM manufacture and model did you choose? I also have an old Interstate battery that's still working at 7 years but thinking about AGM.
    Ron
    I chose Champion AGM Battery, Group Size 78

    Champion_AGM_78-740CHAGM_3-4_Right.jpg
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  3. #13
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    2,371

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The alternator is not designed for AGM type batteries. The charging profile is not proper and will kill an AGM battery prematurely. If you consider the added expense of an AGM there are no benefits to using one.
    The research I did disagrees with this statement. An AGM battery is a drop in replacement for a non-AGM battery. However, you can't use a non-AGM battery in a car designed for an AGM battery.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-14-2023 at 03:05 PM.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,607

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    The research I did disagrees with this statement. An AGM battery is a drop in replacement for a non-AGM battery. However, you can't use a non-AGM battery in a car designed for an AGM battery.
    Based on anecdotal stories and personal experience, the AGM type batteries like Optima do not seem to last. Not just in Deloreans either. They are not worth the additional expense. It is like the iridium or platinum spark plugs. For the premium cost they provide no benefits and in most cases fail prematurely. Same goes for the "better" ignition coils, K & N filters, and DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Trying to put the latest technology into an old car doesn't always work. Don't let me discourage you but this is my experience.
    David Teitelbaum

  5. #15
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    2,371

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Based on anecdotal stories and personal experience, the AGM type batteries like Optima do not seem to last. Not just in Deloreans either. They are not worth the additional expense. It is like the iridium or platinum spark plugs. For the premium cost they provide no benefits and in most cases fail prematurely. Same goes for the "better" ignition coils, K & N filters, and DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Trying to put the latest technology into an old car doesn't always work. Don't let me discourage you but this is my experience.
    David, this Champion battery was the same price as for example, a Gold, Die Hard flooded lead acid battery. Better Cranking Amps, and same 4 year warranty. It is made by Clarios, who also make Optima. Yes, there were batteries sold at a lower quality and price tier.

    For me; here was a key advantage of AGM:
    "AGM batteries are maintenance-free and can be placed in more enclosed areas as there?s no off-gassing except for the occasional venting. It?s required for use in vehicles with batteries in trunks and under seats or in locations where maintenance can be hard to do."

    Source: https://batteryworldonline.com/pages...s-what-to-know

    Regardless, a battery is a wear item. They all have to be replaced. In Florida, it is 4 to 5 years.

    As for K&N air filters, I have them in all my cars. The fact that you only have to buy one is a key advantage when you keep your cars for a long time. Maintenance at 50K miles is a breeze. They work for me.

    Back on topic, I was relieved to figure out the DeLorean battery strap again.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy

    Posts:    123

    My VIN:    1561

    That old broken link to the dmcnews.com site about the battery strap routing was an excerpt from my own site from ages ago. Here?s an active link to the page in case it helps anyone else down the road. https://1561project.com/?page=batt-strap
    Todd, VIN 1561

    http://1561project.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •