FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Another fire, this time with non-K-Jet swap

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    He almost got it. If Bill had stated that carbureted vehicles were NOT prone to vehicle fires, then DMCVegas would have won the Internet, and we would all be rejoicing in his majesty.
    Actually he has indeed grossly insinuated that exact kind of statement.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...l=1#post197883
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Wow. And I'd be willing to bet that this was WITH a fire extinguisher handy.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Actually he has indeed grossly insinuated that exact kind of statement.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...l=1#post197883
    He didn't say immune. He said it hadn't yet happened to his knowledge.

Wherever you have fuel + fire you may get that which I do not desire. And the fiberglass promotes so much melted nougat so very quickly, it is of primary concern to all owners to have an unbiased discussion of ways to prevent or halt something that we are all susceptible to. The risk is real. #Deloreanfiresmatter

P.S.: Condolences to the owner.
    Last edited by SamHill; 07-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.

My VIN:    6585

Now one thing that I DO know is that 5-Speed transmission has one of Darryl's "bullet-proof" input shaft couplers on it. Don't know if the fire may have damaged it though. If not, that's a turn-key transmission. Though for the price asking, it's also on par with an Esprit's gearbox as well.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Looks like an inline fuel pressure gauge.
    No reason to put an inline fuel pressure gauge on a car with a proper low pressure carburetion pump.

I bet this car had a high pressure pump in the tank, a regulator in the engine compartment, and they were using the inline gauge to set the regulator. I've argued against doing that in another thread. Makes no sense to jamb all that pressure against an intentional obstruction -- basically like jambing a fire hose against a brick wall to let only a trickle out onto your tomato plants. Just put a proper low pressure pump in the tank and be done with it.

As stated, I've had a low pressure fuel leak on my own car. It dripped, not sprayed.

At 6 PSI, a carbureted fuel system is about 1/3 cooling system pressure -- not much at all.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5482

BAT posted it on their site, though it appears to just be a link to the eBay auction. The eBay link works as of the time of this post.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/07/12/...lorean-dmc-12/
    Jeff

My VIN:    10722

So far, two people have figured out that the left front fender and the hood with gas flap are worth nearly $5000 alone. If I just had more ambition...

Andy

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    So far, two people have figured out that the left front fender and the hood with gas flap are worth nearly $5000 alone. If I just had more ambition...

Andy
    Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of (desirable) parts left other than those 2 panels. When you consider the labor of geting the car back home, time spent on removal and selling, there is just not that much money to be made there even at 5k purchase.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Hard to say it burned because it has a carb. That fact doesn't necessarily lead to that conclusion. What probably is of greater concern is how the carb conversion was done, what kind of hoses, fittings and seals. Another factor is how resistant the parts were to the newer fuels containing Ethanol. You say the conversion was done 15 years ago, the hoses and seals could have deteriorated a lot in that time. All it can take is a bit of dirt in the float valve of the carb and then you get fuel all over the top of the hot motor. Conversely, on a fuel injected motor the fuel is under much higher pressures and a minor leak can turn into a blow torch. So the bottom line is either can burn well. Fuel leaks usually give some warning, a smell, a puddle, something, before you get the big fire. Ignoring the warning signs can lead to a mess. Same for electrical fires.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post

Andy
    I would think the frame might have some value, though not sure how hacked it became with the engine conversion. The binnacle looks OK. Maybe the doors aren't warped? The RF fender may not be as valuable as the LF but still value there. Point being, at the current price up to a point, this could still be lucrative.

I would consider it if I had the room just for some body panels and odds and ends, assuming all the panels including the hood are in good shape.
    Jeff

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast