FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another hotwire? (Green Cable - Rear Harness)

My VIN:    Midproduction

Another hotwire? (Green Cable - Rear Harness)

Found this "not-so-stock" looking wiring attached to the green cable just behind the rear harness connection. This is the same plug for the ECU cabling. What's circuit is this green cable and will it hurt the car if I disconnect the attachment? More importantly, does it belong there? The car used to have an Nology system, which I promptly got rid off after a few Florida torrential downpours.

IMG_6255.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Found this "not-so-stock" looking wiring attached to the green cable just behind the rear harness connection. This is the same plug for the ECU cabling. What's circuit is this green cable and will it hurt the car if I disconnect the attachment? More importantly, does it belong there? The car used to have an Nology system, which I promptly got rid off after a few Florida torrential downpours.

IMG_6255.jpg
    this is a factory mounted capacitor
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post

IMG_6255.jpg
    I've not seen the factory use those quick splice connections. I don't think that white connector is stock either. What ECU does it plug into?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I've not seen the factory use those quick splice connections. I don't think that white connector is stock either. What ECU does it plug into?
    it is the white plug from the bulkhead, pushed inside the cabin.
    fwiw, they used a scotch lock even in the brake light switch wire, in the vins without fuse #18 operative
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    Midproduction

It is right behind the factory plug head. I went ahead and unplugged the capacitor and haven't perceived any change. Perhaps someone hunting down radio noise?

My VIN:    Early

I have never encountered scotch locks even in my early car. Also, the factory used both gray and black electrical tape, not blue.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I have never encountered scotch locks even in my early car. Also, the factory used both gray and black electrical tape, not
    blue.
    I have seen many cars with those red Scotch taps. Usually on those radio static filter caps. I hate them, they are not sealed against moisture and the steel blade inside it rusts if in a wet environment. IMHO they have no business in an automotive application.
    David Teitelbaum

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I have found plenty of blue electrical tape in my car especially around the center console and a lot of those Scotch lock connectors but upon investigation when I guttedmy interior to fully restore it, I did find evidence of a previous alarm system that looks like it was tied into the lighting system. Best thing to do is get a schematic that has that connector on it and start tracing wires. That's what I did.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I have found plenty of blue electrical tape in my car especially around the center console and a lot of those Scotch lock connectors but upon investigation when I guttedmy interior to fully restore it, I did find evidence of a previous alarm system that looks like it was tied into the lighting system. Best thing to do is get a schematic that has that connector on it and start tracing wires. That's what I did.

blue tape and capacitors with scotch locks are factory implementations, I believe early vins don't have them..
    It would be interesting to know if the later cars with fuse #18 (I guess around VIN 6-7000) still have the "scotch lock capacitors" or if they have been integrated in the revised wiring harness..

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Im 11035 and had plenty but removed all of them. I also believe they were added with the New ASI Radios. Having a common single ground for power and speakers wrapped up into one, im sure they had noise like a son of a gun!

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast