FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Home garage design fun: what would you do?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Keep in mind what would be the best value for the house and other potential buyers if you were to sell it. Make no expensive, hard to undo alterations. Too much garage and not enough other kind of living space is no good, you must have balance. At a minimum you should have space for 2 cars and a workbench. Preferably a utility sink too. What do other houses in the neighborhood have? Also keep in mind how any changes could affect your property taxes. Also consider if and how you will heat or cool the space. In most places you cannot use the heating and A/C system from the rest of the house if it is forced air. Sounds like you will not be able to install a lift. Remember to give the Mrs her own dedicated spot. Check the floor to be sure it can support what you intend to do. In most areas the garage is supposed to be fire-rated meaning 1/2 hour to 1 hour rating sheet rock wall with a self-closing door that is also rated. GFI 20A outlets and a 30A 220 volt line for a welder. Hang a fire extinguisher near a door.
    Just to be clear, 16949 is "the Mrs" and she's the one that is buying the house.

I dont think she's looking to alter the actual layout of the house. It sounds like she found an house that is an automotive lover's dream already. Did you look at the floor plan that she posted?

Also, I dont necessarily agree with the whole "dont change it in case you sell it" mindset. Your house is your home. Unless you really see this as a stepping stone, I say make it the best house for you to live in, exactly as you want it. If you end up selling it down the line, you can make adjustments then. Dont let the fear of someday selling prevent you from having what you want. Its the same way with any DeLorean; unless you're buying it to resell it, dont not build the car you want just because someone else might not like it.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-11-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Green area on map is shaped more like an arrow. Here is a pic. There is one load bearing pole 7 feet in. At the back right angle is the wall to the yellow area. Yellow area is 11'8" deep so if i took the wall out it would add 12 feet.

The ceilings are only 8 feet. . There is also a room they called the workshop, to the side, maybe 6x8. That isn't colored on map. It has wall to wall pegboard in there. It is a door next to the open door in photo, just past yellow paint thing on left.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 16949; 08-11-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Two car sized doors, I assume?

I would invest in some of those little car dollies for the BF's non-runners. I think that's the only way you would get more than 3 cars in there in such a way that you could move them about.
    One double garage door. I agree on the dollies.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Also, I dont necessarily agree with the whole "dont change it in case you sell it" mindset..
    The next buyer might be a car nut. I know that's what will happen with mine. Not many "normal" people want a heated/air conditioned garage with a 12 foot ceiling, a twin-post lift, and no windows on the ground floor. But I don't really care, by the time I sell it I will have had 20-25 years use out of it. .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I disagree. I think everyone on here would want such a place!!!

But while your average buyer may not "want" one, he would certainly appreciate it. And while he may not necessarily pay extra for it, it would certainly swing a sale over a similar property with just a shed.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

garage

What about sinkholes?

Just to be clear, 16949 is "the Mrs" and she's the one that is buying the house.

I dont think she's looking to alter the actual layout of the house. It sounds like she found an house that is an automotive lover's dream already. Did you look at the floor plan that she posted?

Also, I dont necessarily agree with the whole "dont change it in case you sell it" mindset. Your house is your home. Unless you really see this as a stepping stone, I say make it the best house for you to live in, exactly as you want it. If you end up selling it down the line, you can make adjustments then. Dont let the fear of someday selling prevent you from having what you want. Its the same way with any DeLorean; unless you're buying it to resell it, dont not build the car you want just because someone else might not like it.
    Thank you, Nick

And you're right, I found the house by looking for garage space. It's basically a stilt house with the ground floor (800+sf) semi-finished. There are serious outlets every 5 feet (including 220s) and a lot of lighting. It is a house for someone who wants a big open space on the ground floor either for cars or for a workshop or yoga studio or something. I don't think anything I would do to the space would change it from what it is (an uninsurable big space with a garage door). Aside from the current blue area (a 12x8 office type space) there's no living area on the ground floor. And even that office space is not really official living space.

My VIN:    10270

I'm sure this exists elsewhere, but a friend in MI had a purchasing realtor that specializes in "car people houses"

https://www.facebook.com/GearheadHomes.RealEstate/
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Cool

Sounds like we know who will be hosting DCF tech days now haha!

This is awesome! Talk about giving you a lot of freedom to work. Hopefully the ceiling is closer to 10' since that would allow you to easily install a lift. It could be done with 9', especially since the DeLorean is so low, but 8' starts to get pretty tight. Even still though, at 8 feet you could use a Max Jack and you'd still be able to get the cars high enough to sit under. Let us know if the offer is accepted!

Only 8 feet ceilings . It does have central heat and air )))))).

I would be happy to host tech days, every month if needed. In fact, I may have a legal obligation to do that since money saved by DIYing my delorean repairs via Tech Days was factored into my mortgage application...

In the meantime, just say a little prayer to the Garage Gods to make this happen for me! ))

My VIN:    3997

OR. you install a pit. Much easier
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast