FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice. I just inherited a 1981 Delorean with 1,248 miles. Been in dry storage

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Are you by any chance in Elizabethton? A friend was telling me about someone who recently inherited a DeLorean. If that's you I will be in Elizabethton tomorrow working (I gp there once a week) and would be happy to give it a once over for you. Just PM me.
    Michael

PS: Do not let ANYONE try to start it.

My VIN:    3937

Congrats on inheriting this car. That is great that you plan to keep it and drive it.

One thing that came to mind was about how much money one could spend on a restoration like this. DMCFL, or DMCMW for that matter, will do great work to get it back to driving condition. It will not be cheap though. As mentioned, the guys in Florida are no strangers to pristine cars and very low mileage ones like you've described. What your personal finances look like are none of my business, but consider that an inherited car like this you got "for free" so to speak, can turn into a considerably expensive hobby.

I'll echo the suggestion of getting someone local to look it over for you and was going to mention Michael, so good to see he also just commented. Barry or Dermot or another local owner might not give you the full blown mechanic's assessment, but it will certainly give you a realistic one.

I don't mention having others help you look at it to steer you away from sending the whole car to a vendor shop for the restoration, only to give you a chance to evaluate how much money you're prepared to put into it. They will do a great job, as I said, but when you consider you came into a car for $0.00, it can skyrocket that amount in a hurry. I'd love to inherit something awesome like that too. Or win one of those dream home lotteries you see. With that example though, it might be painful keeping up with the costs of owning such a home, if you don't have things sorted out and planned for prior to day one.

Just trying to mention what direction this car could go for you and for you to plan accordingly with what is right for you. Having some extra time between now and when you get it will be good to speak with other owners and hopefully have one or more of them see the car with you and give you their opinions on what's going to be needed. Then decide what fits your lifestyle.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Where are you and where is the car?

You mentioned TN and GA.
    I say this not to be nosy, rather to see who is closest to where the car is
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Near Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    What part of Tennessee are you in? I'm in Lebanon (30 minutes east of Nashville).

While I'm no EXPERT, I am a fellow owner who has rebuilt my own car after it had sat untouched for 20 years. As a "newby", I can tell you the information shared on these forums are absolutely invaluable.

Car is at my grandpa's house in VA. I will be bringing it back to the Chattanooga area once the estate is all settled

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are you by any chance in Elizabethton? A friend was telling me about someone who recently inherited a DeLorean. If that's you I will be in Elizabethton tomorrow working (I gp there once a week) and would be happy to give it a once over for you. Just PM me.
    Michael

PS: Do not let ANYONE try to start it.

Even though it's essentially a brand new car in pristine condition... I understand it has been sitting since about 1983. I would want the electrical updates completed, typical engine/transmission stuff sorted out, brakes etc etc.

I guess I was expecting in my head that I might have to spend about $10,000 to bring this thing up to road worthiness (If I sent it to DMC Florida). Do you all think that is far SHORT of what I'm gonna have to spend?

The only "restoration" this car will require is going to be directly attributed to the length of time it has been sitting & any electrical upgrades that may make sense. Visually... it's MINT, outside, inside, and underneath. No leaks of any kind either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Congrats on inheriting this car. That is great that you plan to keep it and drive it.

One thing that came to mind was about how much money one could spend on a restoration like this. DMCFL, or DMCMW for that matter, will do great work to get it back to driving condition. It will not be cheap though. As mentioned, the guys in Florida are no strangers to pristine cars and very low mileage ones like you've described. What your personal finances look like are none of my business, but consider that an inherited car like this you got "for free" so to speak, can turn into a considerably expensive hobby.

I'll echo the suggestion of getting someone local to look it over for you and was going to mention Michael, so good to see he also just commented. Barry or Dermot or another local owner might not give you the full blown mechanic's assessment, but it will certainly give you a realistic one.

I don't mention having others help you look at it to steer you away from sending the whole car to a vendor shop for the restoration, only to give you a chance to evaluate how much money you're prepared to put into it. They will do a great job, as I said, but when you consider you came into a car for $0.00, it can skyrocket that amount in a hurry. I'd love to inherit something awesome like that too. Or win one of those dream home lotteries you see. With that example though, it might be painful keeping up with the costs of owning such a home, if you don't have things sorted out and planned for prior to day one.

Just trying to mention what direction this car could go for you and for you to plan accordingly with what is right for you. Having some extra time between now and when you get it will be good to speak with other owners and hopefully have one or more of them see the car with you and give you their opinions on what's going to be needed. Then decide what fits your lifestyle.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillysims View Post
    Even though it's essentially a brand new car in pristine condition... I understand it has been sitting since about 1983. I would want the electrical updates completed, typical engine/transmission stuff sorted out, brakes etc etc.

I guess I was expecting in my head that I might have to spend about $10,000 to bring this thing up to road worthiness (If I sent it to DMC Florida). Do you all think that is far SHORT of what I'm gonna have to spend?

The only "restoration" this car will require is going to be directly attributed to the length of time it has been sitting & any electrical upgrades that may make sense. Visually... it's MINT, outside, inside, and underneath. No leaks of any kind either.
    The rule of thumb oft quoted is $1,000 for every year that it sat. That's $33,000 for your restoration. Do I think it will actually cost that from the condition you described? No. A portion of those costs for cars that sit can be things that got destroyed from the sun, moisture, mice, etc. Interior parts missing or weather damaged, frames, fittings or fasteners rusted by moisture, wiring eaten by mice. None of that sounds like it'll apply to your car, not the big stuff anyway.

What won't be in great shape after sitting for 33 years are the systems with fluids in them. Fuel, braking, cooling, engine, transmission, A/C. The restoration will be easier if those systems were drained and stored "dry" as you said, yet the rubber seals or hoses or components will still need replacement after getting dried out. The cost of the individual parts you'll likely need won't on their own be horrible, but the volume of the ones you'll need will be noticeable. The larger number is going to be the labour to install everything. That expertise on diagnosing it all, replacing what is needed and not what doesn't, not making anything worse by learning about DeLoreans on your car, is what justifies the DMC franchise labour rate and overall expense.

I would not think it would cost less than $10,000, but not as high as $33,000. Somewhere in the middle could still be $20,000 by the time all is said and done. That number seems terribly high, but still reasonable for the most part. From A to Z, once you add the trailering costs, assessment, parts, labours, upgrades, licensing, and to get it back home to you, yea, maybe $20,000 isn't that far off. Given current prices though, you're now owner of a car worth $50,000+ I would estimate. Many owners can't claim such a thing.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I'm REALLY hoping it isn't in the 20K range.. it'll be hard for me to sell that to the wife..

I did crawl underneath it & under the hood... I don't see any rust issues anywhere.. it seems to have stayed insanely dry (the garage it was in had about 30ft walls.. concrete.. and it was sitting at the very back of the garage which is about 40ft from the nearest entrance.

Unfortunately... I know my grandpa.. there was nothing drained or anything.. it was simply pulled in.. parked.. and left there.

Ya'll have scared me a little... hoping for the best. (as far as transport, I will likely take it to whatever shop it goes to myself on a car trailer)

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillysims View Post
    I'm REALLY hoping it isn't in the 20K range.. it'll be hard for me to sell that to the wife..

I did crawl underneath it & under the hood... I don't see any rust issues anywhere.. it seems to have stayed insanely dry (the garage it was in had about 30ft walls.. concrete.. and it was sitting at the very back of the garage which is about 40ft from the nearest entrance.

Unfortunately... I know my grandpa.. there was nothing drained or anything.. it was simply pulled in.. parked.. and left there.

Ya'll have scared me a little... hoping for the best. (as far as transport, I will likely take it to whatever shop it goes to myself on a car trailer)

If the car is as good as you say it is (have somebody from here look at it) then even a $20k bill will make you far from upside down!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

In a perfect world, a few thousand should get that car running like a top, but where the money might come in is how much has deteriorated. A lot of the rubber bushings, tires of course, and let's hope that the engine has not seized or the transmission (or gear box) has no issues. Judging just by how you described it, I would figure around 3 to 5k to get her road worthy.

But I wouldn't be suprised if it were more.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast