FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do shocks drop with age

My VIN:    03572

Do shocks drop with age

I have had Hervey's easy rider shocks on my car for 6 or 7 years and noticed the drivers side rear end is about a half inch lower than the passenger side. I did not see any movement in the clamp that holds the spring seat so I'm guessing the shocks may be a gas charge and one has leaked.

Are all the shocks gas charged?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have had Hervey's easy rider shocks on my car for 6 or 7 years and noticed the drivers side rear end is about a half inch lower than the passenger side. I did not see any movement in the clamp that holds the spring seat so I'm guessing the shocks may be a gas charge and one has leaked.

Are all the shocks gas charged?
    Dave,

Shocks don't affect ride height; they just resist movement from the vehicle's equilibrium height. If the shock missing, the car would sit at the same height.

Differences in ride height at each wheel on these cars are very common. You can solve it easiest with a coilover setup.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

They should have a mild effect on height, shouldn't they? They are essentially constantly pushing up unless at full travel.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    They should have a mild effect on height, shouldn't they? They are essentially constantly pushing up unless at full travel.
    I would think so. After being on a lift, mine usually sits about an inch higher until it settles back down.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Theoretically, they should not be pushing up. If they are pushing up, then they're effectively increasing the spring rate. I would be interested in knowing what sort of force they're pushing with. I would hope and expect that it amounts to <1% of the total weight on that axle so as to be negligible.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The shocks do not affect the ride height as Matt outlined...

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Fair enough.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

I thought I remembered struts on my Malibu pushed up about 20 lbs of force before any spring was attached. Just wondered if any shocks did the same.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

On the DeLorean, I don't think that is the case. When I installed mine, I had to lift the bottom of the strut assembly with a jack slightly against the pressure of the spring to attach the top nut on the shock.

Looking at a pic of the unit, I think the only way the ride height would be affected is if the spring cup collar moved.

image.jpg

Incidentally, I had bought that clamp on collar shock configuration when I first got my car (with the the red adjustable KYB option). When the package arrived, I was concerned about the setup, so I called KYB technical support, and asked them if the shock body for that model was recommended to carry such a load. They said that they would definitely not recommend that usage. Then I asked them how thick the metal was on the shock wall. They said it was 1.2 mm. That's like a metal gas charged balloon. I returned the rear shocks and collars. I heard that lots of people have used them, but after that phone call, they were not for me. I really can't understand how they can work, but I guess they do. Maybe other shock models have thicker metal?

Do you have a picture of the one that is lower, especially around the collar? I wonder if the metal below the clamp has buckled, or if the collar slipped a bit, especially since the collar torque is supposed to be "just snug" on a smooth surface friction fit.

Alternatively, is the shock leaking or wet in another area?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Dana you do raise a good point, and a concern I always had with John's rear shock setup.

Perhaps the change in height is the collar letting go and sliding downwards (very scary)

You can buy NOS rear Girlings for $75 a set you know? Great deal if you ask me and properly designed for the rear "coilover" setup.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast