FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hagerty 10-year prediction for DeLorean

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    50-65K is now reality just 5 years in. (2017-2022)
    True enough. I remember seeing this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JAS037 View Post
    Straight from the article: "Because the Gen-Xers who grew up with such television landmarks as Magnum P.I. and movies like Back to the Future are going to hit their peak earning years in the next decade, and you know what they’re going to want."

To me, that translates into higher demand, which could drive the prices higher.
    This is me, so when I bought my car in 2013, I figured the cars would at least hold value throughout my generation's curve, but what I didn't count on was the strong interest from Millennials. Now with the possible re-emergence of the car and brand, who knows where it will lead for our car's value in the future.

I know this, I have seen the marque's elevation in spectator opinion just since I owned the car. Part of that is a noticeable increase in the quality of the fleet at car shows, and that is partially a function of the increase in the car's value.

All good things IMO.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Funny how a lot of people determined the reason for the increase in value is the movie. I think the movie definitely makes the car more “known”, but I don’t think it influences buying the car. I like this car because of the styling, doors, SS skin and engine placement. (In that order) The movie had no effect on me buying the car. Being more “known” is almost a detriment to me. But I did buy the car to drive. I suppose people that buy for a collection or investment have different motivations.

Are Yellow Camaro’s going to sell in the future as kids growing up watching transformers age?

My VIN:    03572

I also bought my D without the movie aspect affecting my purchase. When the cars were announced, I said "Someday I will own one". I was lucky to get mine for 15 K before the value shot up. Don't think I would have bought the car at today's prices.

The movie does make most people know it's a DeLorean and they love getting a photo with the car.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    what I didn't count on was the strong interest from Millennials.
    I'm an old millennial... born in '82. The cars are definitely ingrained into the culture of anyone born in the 1980s. What's really surprised me since buying my current DeLorean is the fact the Gen Z kids (born post 2000) flock to to my car everywhere I go. Between the cars and BTTF movies being so very far before their lives I didn't expect them to know the car at all, but they do and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Funny how a lot of people determined the reason for the increase in value is the movie. I think the movie definitely makes the car more “known”, but I don’t think it influences buying the car. I like this car because of the styling, doors, SS skin and engine placement. (In that order) The movie had no effect on me buying the car. Being more “known” is almost a detriment to me. But I did buy the car to drive. I suppose people that buy for a collection or investment have different motivations.
    BTTF is what initially drew my attention to the cars as a child and no doubt influenced my decision to eventually purchase 3 of these precision automobiles. That being said, it was the design that caught my eye... not the whole sci-fi aspect. Pretty quickly after I bought my first car the whole BTTF thing definitely faded into the background as the history and design are what has kept my interest all these years. The constant BTTF references annoy me pretty badly because the real story & car are just so much more interesting. However, I know that the movies absolutely kept the cars from fading into obscurity like the Bricklin & others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I was lucky to get mine for 15 K before the value shot up. Don't think I would have bought the car at today's prices.
    I definitely get this. I paid $11k for my first one back in 2001 and nearly 5 times that for my third one 21 years later. While these cars will always be my one true passion I just don't get $50k worth of joy out of mine.

As for what the next 5-10 years holds for values, it's anyone's guess. I think a lot of the spike that happened the past few years was due to covid. Folks were stuck at home with all this extra money and that drove up classic car values and restorations sharply. I have to imagine we've hit a plateau with rising interest rates, folks being back at work and out in the world spending money again, inflation, etc. I can't imagine this new DMC really having an impact on values, either. It's not the same people, not the same factory, not the same country, not the same time, and not the same vision. I think folks are able to differentiate between the original and whatever this new situation is. I can't see this whole new company working out, but wish them the best regardless.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    However, I know that the movies absolutely kept the cars from fading into obscurity like the Bricklin & others.
    Delorean is often compared to Bricklin, I guess because of the doors and some styling ques. While I like Bricklins, they never really got the styling right. It always looked like a kit car to me. A cool kit car, but a kit car nevertheless.

The Delorean and the Lamborghini Countach are my dream cars. I don’t think I’ll ever own a real Countach and it’s tough to find a good replica. (That doesn’t look like a kit car) So I guess I’m stuck with the D. It’s funny, I like both cars about equally. (Considering the price difference)

My VIN:    Ask one of the online stalkers.

Delorean is often compared to Bricklin, I guess because of the doors and some styling ques. While I like Bricklins, they never really got the styling right. It always looked like a kit car to me. A cool kit car, but a kit car nevertheless.

The Delorean and the Lamborghini Countach are my dream cars. I don’t think I’ll ever own a real Countach and it’s tough to find a good replica. (That doesn’t look like a kit car) So I guess I’m stuck with the D. It’s funny, I like both cars about equally. (Considering the price difference)
    The comparison is because journalists are lazy. It's a superficial similarity in gullwing doors, unique body material, namesake creator, 2-seater, and "failure" sports car. That sounds like it would be a great basis for a comparison, but if you have the two side-by-side you'll see that they have very little in common.

The Bricklin people like to criticize the DeLorean and say that it's only famous because of the movie and that it wouldn't be popular without it. Bricklin owners can see the speck in a DeLorean owner's eye, but not notice the log in their own. The Bricklin is what you would get if you were to try to build a Corvette kit car out of a Mustang II. Poor build quality is what dooms the Bricklin to low-value obscurity. It's not a good car.
    I love my DMC! I can't speak highly enough of it!

My VIN:    6125

Speaking of Bricklins, here's one on BAT w/ 62 miles. It's pretty awesome to see one so well preserved.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bricklin-sv1-6/

Even in like-new condition though, you can still see the less than ideal fit and finish on a lot of the parts. Uneven body gaps all around, misaligned panels, etc. I always felt the interior on these cars were a let down, and here you can see even as-new the center console doesn't fit quite right and there is fabric pulling up around the edges. The molded dash board has hard edges that always seem to have the color wearing off as well. Looks like this one even with less than 100 miles has also suffered the same fate. And the plastichrome trim surrounds around the center vents is peeling off pretty much every car I've seen, including this one..

Not saying DeLoreans were perfect either, but by comparison you can see the level of design and engineering that went into our cars to make it look like a true production car and not kit-bashed together.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Are Yellow Camaro’s going to sell in the future as kids growing up watching transformers age?
    Well, I don't know. What I do know is that I love the 1969 Camaro, and when I heard GM was retro-styling the 5th generation after the '69, I wanted one. The appearance of the car on the 2007 Transformers movie sealed the color that I wanted.

Apparently this 2010 Camaro SS Transformers edition makes #4 on this list:
    https://www.hotcars.com/camaros-soon-worth-fortune/

The car already gets compliments, but I mostly enjoy driving it.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-24-2022 at 09:42 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyV View Post
    The comparison is because journalists are lazy.

Poor build quality is what dooms the Bricklin to low-value obscurity. It's not a good car.
    21st Century journalism is tragic...... True statement about Bricklin.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6125

Just a follow up on that Bricklin on BAT with 62 miles... It sold for over 100k, shattering the previous record by around 40k.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3