FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mystery connector

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Hey gang - totally get I?m exhuming an old thread but in my searches it seems the most relevant and I figure if it helps folks down the road great.

Anyway, some more about these mystery connectors.

In the first pic, am I correct in understanding the #1 connector (green) should remain unused? I saw some comments mentioning it might be related to the auto trans (which I have). Connector #2 (black/blue) I *think* should be connected to the unused connector (with a red wire, hidden in second pic) from behind the black sleeve on the rear wall? and should look like what?s in the third pic.

Am I on the right track with this or overthinking it all?

5063C4A9-E454-4F67-B7C9-8A1EA5A9136C.jpg

8F371BE0-5C62-4AC5-94BB-242209FD983F.jpg

B47869A5-4009-4E95-BB69-BE4D1E08AFD8.jpg

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Hey gang - totally get I?m exhuming an old thread but in my searches it seems the most relevant and I figure if it helps folks down the road great.

Anyway, some more about these mystery connectors.

In the first pic, am I correct in understanding the #1 connector (green) should remain unused? I saw some comments mentioning it might be related to the auto trans (which I have). Connector #2 (black/blue) I *think* should be connected to the unused connector (with a red wire, hidden in second pic) from behind the black sleeve on the rear wall? and should look like what?s in the third pic.

Am I on the right track with this or overthinking it all?

5063C4A9-E454-4F67-B7C9-8A1EA5A9136C.jpg

8F371BE0-5C62-4AC5-94BB-242209FD983F.jpg

B47869A5-4009-4E95-BB69-BE4D1E08AFD8.jpg
    The third pic is correct. The black and black/blue connector plugs into the red and black connector on the firewall. As for the green connector, that is supposed to go to the manual transmission's reverse switch. I don't know how the auto trans reverse lights come on because I have a manual. Perhaps it is unused in the auto trans situation.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    The third pic is correct. The black and black/blue connector plugs into the red and black connector on the firewall. As for the green connector, that is supposed to go to the manual transmission's reverse switch. I don't know how the auto trans reverse lights come on because I have a manual. Perhaps it is unused in the auto trans situation.
    The manual trans uses a green with brown stripe wire for the reverse lights.
    There is a green wire used by the auto trans, but it is for GC power.
    There are several green wires used for different things -- You can confirm it is the one for the auto by pulling fuse #13...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The manual trans uses a green with brown stripe wire for the reverse lights.
    There is a green wire used by the auto trans, but it is for GC power.
    There are several green wires used for different things -- You can confirm it is the one for the auto by pulling fuse #13...
    Yes, and the "same" green with brown stripe wire is present on the automatic transm. for powering the reverse lights.

It's one of several wires in the connector to the governor.

This is according to the DMCH wiring diagram where the governor is component #170, located in diagram zone B4, along with the 5-speed's rev switch.

The same diagram shows all of the wires for the rear end lights, including the ground, passing through the black bulkhead connector. The diagram pinpoints which wire goes to which individual bulkhead terminal, too.

$20 spent on the diagram pays back quickly when troubleshooting the electrical system.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    ...and the "same" green with brown stripe wire is present on the automatic transm. for powering the reverse lights.
    No, that's for ground switching/control (for both auto and manual reverse lights).
    It's the Light Green with White Stripe wire that powers the reverse lights (for both auto and manual, fuse #16).

As for how, mention earlier, on an Auto:

Auto Reverse Lights.jpg

Manual:
    Manual Reverse Light Switching.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3