FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Bye-Bye angle drive!

  1. #41
    Guru butcher Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    4,410

    My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

    My angle drive from 12 years ago is still chugging along. I oiled it for the first time a few weeks ago. I got a small portable mini grease gun at Harbor Freight and loaded it with 90w gear oil. It will be my dedicated angle drive gun.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

  2. #42
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    2,321

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    Im glad a three year old thread got bumped by people commenting about how great their original angle drives are.
    If only they made the reproductions of a similar quality to the originals the speedbox would not be needed.

    That being said I have about 20,000kms or so on my speedbox now and it works great.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    438

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    My angle drive from 12 years ago is still chugging along. I oiled it for the first time a few weeks ago. I got a small portable mini grease gun at Harbor Freight and loaded it with 90w gear oil. It will be my dedicated angle drive gun.
    Could you describe your "servicing" of the angle drive. I'm doing some other upgrades in that area of the car right now. Of course, I ran into some unforeseen stuff and am waiting for parts. Good time to service it. I barely looked at it, but it appears someone took a pare of pliers to it pretty good. (Or pretty bad, lol) Is there some kind of nipple on it? (Didn't notice one)

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    107

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Could you describe your "servicing" of the angle drive. I'm doing some other upgrades in that area of the car right now. Of course, I ran into some unforeseen stuff and am waiting for parts. Good time to service it. I barely looked at it, but it appears someone took a pare of pliers to it pretty good. (Or pretty bad, lol) Is there some kind of nipple on it? (Didn't notice one)
    - If it is the original one then, there is a screw you remove to open a hole in the drive to add lubricant into it
    - If it is one of the earlier reproduction's from DMCH it will have a grease fitting on it
    - If it is one of the later reproduction's from DMCH then it will be sealed and unserviceable (you won't be able to lubricate it).

  5. #45
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    338

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Im glad a three year old thread got bumped by people commenting about how great their original angle drives are.
    If only they made the reproductions of a similar quality to the originals the speedbox would not be needed.

    That being said I have about 20,000kms or so on my speedbox now and it works great.
    The company that made the angle drive Martin Gutkowski was selling years ago have outlasted my original drives and Houstons. So far that thing is bullet proof. I heard that they were hard to work with so they stopped making them.

    I wish they could work things out or a new source could make them as tough/durable as these.

    I really need to update my sig. Over 235K miles now.
    Last edited by ssdelorean; 05-12-2021 at 12:59 PM.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 96,704 miles and counting (OVER 10 yr 10 months & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 228K miles

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    438

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    The company that made the angle drive Martin Gutkowski was selling years ago have outlasted my original drives and Houstons. So far that thing is bullet proof. I heard that they were hard to work with so they stopped making them.

    I wish they could work things out or a new source could make them as tough/durable as these.

    I really need to update my sig. Over 235K miles now.
    The sig is interesting. Do you have a list of other stuff that has failed you and when? I don't care about light bulbs, but shocks, door hinges, CV joints, ball joints, etc. Do you consider yourself OCD on the car or you just "fix when needed".

  7. #47
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    338

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    The sig is interesting. Do you have a list of other stuff that has failed you and when? I don't care about light bulbs, but shocks, door hinges, CV joints, ball joints, etc. Do you consider yourself OCD on the car or you just "fix when needed".
    I don't want to hijack this thread so I will send you a PM.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 96,704 miles and counting (OVER 10 yr 10 months & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 228K miles

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,029

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    DMC issued a Service Bulletin adding lubricating the angle drive to the routine service. It helps a lot. You put grease into it. After all this time lubricating the cables is a good idea too. Not all speedo problems are the angle drive. Some are caused by the drive cup (aka dust cover) square hole becoming round, and some because the drive cup slips between the hub and the rim. On one car that was "eating" angle drives with some regularity, I found a post broke off inside the speedo head and the metal clip got it stuck in the workings of the speedometer because of the magnet. It added a lot of drag making the angle drive wear out prematurely. PJ Grady offers a replacement that he calls "Bulletproof". Vendors also offer a 1 piece cable eliminating the Lambda counter. Some think that the Lambda counter contributes to the failures. Make sure you have the support bracket on the left front wheel that holds the speedo cable so it doesn't hang with all it's weight on the speedo drive. Sometimes they are missing and sometimes they are broken. Some cars never have any problems with the speedo and some just seem to always have something going wrong. It does have a high failure rate, high enough so you can't always trust the odometer to have all of the actual miles on it.
    David Teitelbaum

  9. #49
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,685

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    DMC issued a Service Bulletin adding lubricating the angle drive to the routine service. It helps a lot. You put grease into it...
    If you are talking about ST-10-10.82, it actually says, "Remove filler screw and oil with SAE 80 or 90 gear oil."
    (Basically, grease is for low speed/low temp gears, unlike bearings which have free space....).

    Don't fill it or you risk churning....

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    438

    I guess I have the original because it has a screw. I oiled it as best I could. It would be nice if it had a grease nipple. The screw threads are too small to install one. Funny how the screw is facing down when the cable is hooked up. (Another engineer sleeping)

    Side note, Thankyou SSDelorean for the PM. I really think you should post that in a seperate thread that you could update now and then. There aren't many people driving as much as you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •