FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Valuation - DeLorean is "one of the hottest collector cars"

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    There's only a couple of private sales right now. This is a very recent development (since summer, really) , and if it lasts, it will change the dynamic again. Most of the cars right now haven been snapped by the dealers - notably BHCC, DPI and DMC franchises.
    While I totally agree that dealers and the vendors largely have the current market cornered on car sales, that isn't the complete picture. Plenty of cars still change hands privately. Some are in "off market" or word of mouth transactions. Cars on Craigslist etc that aren't scams are scooped up in a matter of hours usually, due to the fact they are typically priced substantially below dealers/vendors. And of course there are auctions... be it the "old school" car auctions like Mecum etc or online ones such as eBay and Bring a Trailer. In any event, dealer/vendor sales carry an extremely hefty premium compared to what private sellers are fetching.

Yes, no question. I'm not arguing the biz aspect, or really anything at all you said - although as I mentioned earlier, i think the cars will be close to $150K. All I'm trying to point out is different facets.

It may be that the rate of attrition of cars is enough to keep up with demand. There's another thing here too - there's an awful lot of people sitting on caches of parts. Enough to be significant to the brisk parts business the vendors are doing? Probably not, (and many of the parts end up there anyway), but they're out there.
    I've seen a video with Stephen Wynne from the past year or so where he states the new builds will be in the vicinity of $150k, so your hunch is substantiated. I still don't see how they can overcome the obstacles of producing "new" vehicles given the amount of NLA parts and the costs to reproduce those (most of which have zero to do with the drivetrain); but alas, I'm beyond over this chicken & egg scenario.

And yes, there are plenty of folks hoarding parts. Off the top of my head I can think of multiple owners who have multiple left front fenders. Even recent videos of DMCH show LFFs in the background. The demand for some parts is somewhat a self-fulfilling prophecy. But yes, in the grand scheme of things, the stashes individuals have probably wouldn't realistically shift supply & demand in a net positive way regardless.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    While I totally agree that dealers and the vendors largely have the current market cornered on car sales, that isn't the complete picture. Plenty of cars still change hands privately. Some are in "off market" or word of mouth transactions. Cars on Craigslist etc that aren't scams are scooped up in a matter of hours usually, due to the fact they are typically priced substantially below dealers/vendors. And of course there are auctions... be it the "old school" car auctions like Mecum etc or online ones such as eBay and Bring a Trailer. In any event, dealer/vendor sales carry an extremely hefty premium compared to what private sellers are fetching.
    Yes, certainly. My research (and records of public sales), suggest that there's 100 public sales (all the ones you see advertised, dealer or not) and 100 private sales (many dealer and other word of mouth in the US per year). These numbers have been confirmed by DMC reps. I think the total number worldwide is about 250/year. Of course it's difficult to know the exact details of the private sales, so we must infer.

I've seen a video with Stephen Wynne from the past year or so where he states the new builds will be in the vicinity of $150k, so your hunch is substantiated. I still don't see how they can overcome the obstacles of producing "new" vehicles given the amount of NLA parts and the costs to reproduce those (most of which have zero to do with the drivetrain); but alas, I'm beyond over this chicken & egg scenario.
    Ah, thank goodness. This is the same video I saw that I haven't been able to find, and I got shouted down on reddit for even suggesting this was the case. Of course, that was a year ago, so all bets are off now.

The short short short version is thus - if we start with 9080 cars and work to 6500 cars in 2000 or so we get a 1.75% yearly attrition rate, and going to 2021, about 4500.
    Where did the 6500 number in 2000 come from? Not saying your wrong, just courious. Wonder if there is a “standard attrition rate” for cars? Of course, sports cars might be different from pickup trucks or economy cars. Also do they get destroyed fast in the early years and slow down later? I guess in some states you can search a data base and see how many are registered. If they have plates, they probably run.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Where did the 6500 number in 2000 come from? Not saying your wrong, just courious. Wonder if there is a “standard attrition rate” for cars? Of course, sports cars might be different from pickup trucks or economy cars. Also do they get destroyed fast in the early years and slow down later? I guess in some states you can search a data base and see how many are registered. If they have plates, they probably run.
    6500 was a guess. I think it was first published in a DeLorean magazine sometime in the 90’s.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Back on topic, 3 recent Mecum sales. Posted prices include the buyer fees, and so prices tend to be higher than
    what you'd expect to pay elsewhere, as well as attracting a non-typical DeLorean buyer crowd:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48...lorean-dmc-12/ - $57,200.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48...lorean-dmc-12/ - $79,200.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48...lorean-dmc-12/ - $92,200.

One of these cars came with a rat's nest feature.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Estimates on the 1,100 mile car are about as wrong as Anthony Hopkins in a mini skirt.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    Ask one of the online stalkers.

Suddenly the $42k eBay basket case seems believable.
    I love my DMC! I can't speak highly enough of it!

My VIN:    6125

April 2022 values are now posted on Hagerty's valuation tool. They changed the format, and now you have to have a paid membership to see back more than 1 year. Used to be that you could see back 5 years with the free membership.

My VIN:    1710

Here's the 5 year version. I hovered over 2017 since there is no scale/legend:

Louie Golden

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Thanks.
    Hagerty's new graphs lost their y-axis gridlines and tickmarks making them pretty hard to read unless you do the hovering trick, as mentioned. On the plus side they added a detailed graph showing over 200 past sales prices for DMC-12s.

For this graph their 5-yr appreciation figures for an '81 DMC-12 are roughly:
    Condition 1: up 125%
    Condition 2: up 100%
    Condition 3: up 70%
    Condition 4: up 55%

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Here's the 5 year version. I hovered over 2017 since there is no scale/legend:

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast