FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: The average cost of the AVERAGE DeLorean Daily Driver in today's market is?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • $30,000 or less

8 14.29%
  • $32,000

4 7.14%
  • $34,000

10 17.86%
  • $36,000

18 32.14%
  • $38,000

6 10.71%
  • $40,000

4 7.14%
  • $42,000

1 1.79%
  • $44,000 or more

5 8.93%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RESET 07-08-2019: Average cost of the AVERAGE DeLorean Daily Driver In Today's Market

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Wasn't someone keeping track of sales? It would be nice to see a list of sales for the past year or so. Actual sales prices, not asking prices.
    Yeah, I forgot who it was. Someone posted asking recently, but nobody chimed in...

=====

+1 on the 6000 left... That would be hard to nail down with barn finds offsetting the totaled ones etc.

My VIN:    03430

Is there a way to tally the voter's owner status? Like Currently own, looking to buy, recently sold, recently bought, etc. it would be interesting to see the numbers there as well.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You would have to start a new thread & poll and cram it all into 10 choices max...probably not enough w/o narrowing down the price first.

[POLL RESET]

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

My car probably was worth 40ish-k based on today's market, but then I ruined it by LS swapping, and now it is worth $5.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Well, seems like consensus so far is low to mid 30s for an average driver. A quick glance at eBay sales seems to confirm those numbers provided the cars actually sold.
    Last edited by Hill Valley PD; 08-09-2019 at 07:44 AM.

My VIN:    Between VINs

When I was searching for a DMC in late 2017 I wanted a very well sorted daily driver, and I was looking at $32k as a target. I ended up finding a car that looked very clean and also happened to be a Stage II so I was happy to pay $39.5k as I felt the Stage II and better than average cosmetics were worth the premium. I ended up spending $8k to fix things in the first year anyway (clutch, AC system, etc.).

My VIN:    6125

This thread makes me so happy that I purchased my car in 2008. These days I'd be hard pressed to justify spending 35K+ on a vehicle that is only driven for pleasure.

My VIN:    Between VINs

It helps that they don't depreciate. I feel like I can put it up for sale today and recoup my purchase price pretty easily. I don't view it like a regular car purchase; I feel like I'm borrowing it more than anything since I expect to get my buy-in back someday.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    When I was searching for a DMC in late 2017 I wanted a very well sorted daily driver, and I was looking at $32k as a target. I ended up finding a car that looked very clean and also happened to be a Stage II so I was happy to pay $39.5k as I felt the Stage II and better than average cosmetics were worth the premium. I ended up spending $8k to fix things in the first year anyway (clutch, AC system, etc.).
    My point exactly. And as the part prices go up and the labor for working on them goes up.......
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    It helps that they don't depreciate. I feel like I can put it up for sale today and recoup my purchase price pretty easily. I don't view it like a regular car purchase; I feel like I'm borrowing it more than anything since I expect to get my buy-in back someday.
    That's actually an interesting way to look at it. The depreciation on buying a new car, over the first 5 years or so, is a LOT more than maintenance on a sorted DeLorean, even if you drive it all the time. The only depreciation you'd see on a DeLorean is un-repaired wear and tear (i.e. you let the car go), or if you add a ton of miles to an original low mile (sub 10K or so) car where the low miles is part of the perceived value.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast