FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: Delorean Dealership Sign

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2016

    Location:  McCleary WA

    Posts:    111

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    ^ I spent a couple weeks helping Cliff Schmucker install his. Here's a picture of it (and my car) finally installed in Cliff's shop. The thing had to weigh between 800-1000lbs. We had to position it using a forklift.Attachment 61098
    I sold that sign to Cliff. I removed it from a 7 foot high shelf in my garage by myself, using an engine hoist with an extension. But then you guys placed it considerably higher than I had it. As I recall the shipping weight with crate was under 600 lbs.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, getting 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

  2. #32
    LS1 DMC Nicholas R's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Orlando, Florida

    Posts:    2,706

    My VIN:    01643

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    I sold that sign to Cliff. I removed it from a 7 foot high shelf in my garage by myself, using an engine hoist with an extension. But then you guys placed it considerably higher than I had it. As I recall the shipping weight with crate was under 600 lbs.
    It was quite the ordeal to get it hung but totally worth it. One of the best things about it was (as I'm sure you recall) it still had the protective plastic on one side of the stainless. Presumably for the life of the sign it had only ever been displayed one sided so the "back" side never had the plastic removed. That ended up being the side that Cliff put "out" when it was hung so that it shined like new.

    One of the unfortunate situations we ran into though was the fluorescent ballasts failed on us. While we had the sign on the ground, we had it up side down so that we could access the panels for changing the bulbs. We replaced all the tubes so theyd be fresh, tested it, and all lit up great. For whatever reason though, after we turned the sign right side up, 2/3 of the sign stopped lighting up. I believe they were oil filled ballasts and for whatever reason didn't want to work after we flipped the sign over. Unfortunately we never tested it after we flippped it, so we didn't find out that 2/3 of the sign didn't work until it was installed and hung 25ft in the air. Cliff later spent a few days replacing the ballasts from a man basket on his forklift.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2016

    Location:  McCleary WA

    Posts:    111

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    That sign was with a parts inventory I purchased out of Shreveport LA in the late '80's. They shipped the parts to me, but no sign. I waited a while, then contacted them only to find out that in the meantime the dealership had closed its doors. As it happened the parts manager who I had been dealing with had a unique name, so with some pre-Google effort I was able to track him down. He said he would try to track the sign down if I would pay for the shipping. A few weeks later the sign arrived, in its original packaging, and I never did get a shipping bill. I had a commercial sign shop get it working, and regularly had it lighted until I moved in 1998. After that I had it displayed but not lighted as there was no power available.

    As for using an extended engine hoist to remove the sign, that is the same way I removed and installed DeLorean doors - from the rear, in a very narrow garage stall with a very valuable restored classic about 3 feet away, again by myself. And I used to adjust torsion bars by myself, too. Fun times...
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, getting 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

  4. #34
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    338

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    It was quite the ordeal to get it hung but totally worth it. One of the best things about it was (as I'm sure you recall) it still had the protective plastic on one side of the stainless. Presumably for the life of the sign it had only ever been displayed one sided so the "back" side never had the plastic removed. That ended up being the side that Cliff put "out" when it was hung so that it shined like new.

    One of the unfortunate situations we ran into though was the fluorescent ballasts failed on us. While we had the sign on the ground, we had it up side down so that we could access the panels for changing the bulbs. We replaced all the tubes so theyd be fresh, tested it, and all lit up great. For whatever reason though, after we turned the sign right side up, 2/3 of the sign stopped lighting up. I believe they were oil filled ballasts and for whatever reason didn't want to work after we flipped the sign over. Unfortunately we never tested it after we flippped it, so we didn't find out that 2/3 of the sign didn't work until it was installed and hung 25ft in the air. Cliff later spent a few days replacing the ballasts from a man basket on his forklift.
    I remember Cliff saying that hanging the sign put your trigonometry skills to the test :-) I still miss him. Awesome guy

    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    And I used to adjust torsion bars by myself, too. Fun times...
    Darrel = #beast !
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 96,704 miles and counting (OVER 10 yr 10 months & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 228K miles

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •