FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Living the Dream - VIN 0628

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Thanks man! Your house (kitchen) looks gorgeous.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Post-Move, Improvements, and Additions

Front Shock Brace Installation
    Date: 03/15/21
    Mileage: 40,238

As time progressed and the wife and I started to get settled into our new house, I started to gravitate towards the car now that it is within an arms reach. One of the smaller but more exciting projects that I had been wanting to tackle since Christmas was the installation of the Front Shock Brace from DeLoreanGo.

Product: Front Shock Brace

Installation was very straight forward
    • Remove Cargo Carpet and Identify the 2 Body Bolts
    • Remove Body Bolts with 17mm Socket
    • Install Spacer, Front Strut Brace, New Body Bolts
    • Torque to Spec and Adjust Tension on Strut Brace

I wanted the carpet to lay beneath the strut so I measured multiple time and drilled two holes through the carpet and board so that the body bolts would go through them. All in all, I think this is a necessary upgrade for the DeLorean Sports Car as the added rigidity that it provides further stabilizes the car around corners and drastically reduces body roll. The reduction in body roll is very noticeable in my opinion.

2021-03-15 21.28.48.jpg2021-03-15 21.28.39.jpg2021-03-15 21.30.03.jpg2021-03-15 21.30.10.jpg2021-03-15 21.34.58.jpg2021-03-15 21.47.29.jpg

Black Out Taillight Cover
    Date: 03/28/21
    Mileage: 40,274

I'm more than aware of what some folks think and I agree. Why tint your taillights so that they work less? Quite frankly, if it weren't for the ridiculously bright output of the SBL LEDs that I have installed, I would truly not consider this. With that asides, I have also love the blacked out look of certain European and Muscle cars and the look had grown on me over the years. Upon going through old back issues of DeLorean World, I took note to an old DeLorean Vendor from the late 80s through early 2000s, DeLorean Specialties. The ads throughout the various DeLorean World issues have a wealth of stuff that are simply unavailable today. Unfortunately, any black out covers are few and far between these days as they are very, very rare.

Enter Facebook. In December, nearly immediately after my spine surgery, I spied a Fred Lockett selling a large quantity of DeLorean accessories in which he used to own DeLorean Specialties way back when. I thought that now is my only chance. Luckily, he had 5 blacked out tail light covers and unfortunately no headlight covers. I bought 2 of the 5 as a buddy within our TNDMC club wanted one and paypal'ed me so that we'd save on shipping. They arrived in one piece and in great quality however it wasn't until March that I was in a position to spend time with the car. Seeing how it was made and fit on, it was clear that you were meant to use some velcro to secure it however for me, I'd much rather not run the risk of it falling off. I acquired some black, 16lb Command Strips and put a piece on each end on the furthest lens on each side (the ones that do not illuminate) and attached it at the appropriate spot on the cover. I took my backup camera off of the fascia and moved it slightly forward (~1/4") in order to seat the cover behind it leaving enough clearance where it would be a firm fit. Once the command strips click into place and the top of the cover wedged firmly, there is no play in the cover.

2021-03-28 14.28.24.jpg2021-03-28 14.28.18.jpg2021-03-28 20.24.53.jpg

I think it looks absolutely bad ass.
    Last edited by JBaker4981; 04-13-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

DMCH Louvre Brace and Third Brake Light

DMCH Louvre Brace
    Date: 04/04/21 - 04/07/21
    Mileage: 40,281

The spring loaded engine cover stay, albeit not very good for the engine cover itself, has been adequate however the bracket for the assembly itself has been starting to crack and buckle under the spring tension. One of my other Christmas gifts that I have been wanting to install was the DMCH Louvre Brace which has an integrated catch for the engine cover itself. In order to get ready to install this, I had to first remove my third brake light that the previous owner installed (these had not worked in 8+ months and I was going to figure out why during this as well). I was able to cleanly separate the third brake light from the underside of the louvre as the two halves of the third brake light rest against the center spine of the louvre. With that out of the way, I unbolted and removed the existing brace (unknown origin and vendor) which itself was two pieces of thin metal on both sides of the spine.

With this out of the way, we can begin our work with the installation.
    • Position the brace and secure using clamps (Huge thank you to Barry Floyd for this idea)
    • Using an 3/16" Drill Bit, drill through the holes of the brace through the fiberglass louvre. (Extreme Caution Needed)
    • Screw in the bolts that came with the brace
    • Secure bolts with included nuts

2021-04-06 10.44.41.jpg2021-04-06 10.49.44.jpg2021-04-06 10.53.05.jpg2021-04-06 10.44.48.jpg2021-04-06 11.09.22.jpg

Once this was installed, I was able to remove the bolts of the engine cover stay assembly as well as its bracket on the engine cover itself giving a cleaner look to the back of the engine bay.

2021-04-06 11.09.36.jpg2021-04-06 11.13.32.jpg

Third Brake Light Repair
    Date: 04/04/21 - 04/08/21
    Mileage: 40,281

With the added tint to the tail lights, I did want the third brake light to work for safety reasons. Once I removed the third brake light, I inspected the connector to find the negative wire had come out of its pin in its Molex connector. Goody. The third brake light itself was cut in half by the PO and capped off so that it would fit under the louvre with the center spine of the louvre running between them. The positive and negative of each half were twisted together and loosely terminated so I knew I needed to improve this.

I soldered the negatives of each half together followed by the positives and soldered additional wire to each. I cut the Molex connector out coming from under the T-Panel and crimped a new connector onto it. I then crimped a new connector onto the third brake light positive/negative once I measured and confirmed the length needed. Once I mounted the brake light back to the underside of the louvre, I further secured it using electrical tubing. Success and I think this looks rather professional in my opinion!

2021-04-08 12.05.40.jpg2021-04-08 12.05.58.jpg2021-04-08 12.06.24.jpg2021-04-08 12.07.34.jpg2021-04-08 12.08.45.jpg
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

Mods look great Jesse! Have you had a chance to drive with the shock tower brace? I thought it was gimmicky at first but it makes a HUGE difference! The car feels so much more planted in the curves.

That rear light cover looks awesome too.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Mods look great Jesse! Have you had a chance to drive with the shock tower brace? I thought it was gimmicky at first but it makes a HUGE difference! The car feels so much more planted in the curves.

That rear light cover looks awesome too.
    I've put about 50 miles on the car since I added the brace and I feel a very noticeable difference. As you said, it feels more planted to the ground and there is minimal body roll when going around a curve at normal speed. I'm sure there is some amount of body roll if I was briskly cutting through curves but this one upgrade made a major difference.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Wow, that was a long read. It was a good one too. I will probably read it again. Thankyou for documenting all that. You sound like a very solid young man. I would like to meet you some day. I have a friend that moved up NE of Nashville. I will almost certainly be going up there in the next year. I may PM you when it gets "for sure". Maybe I could trade you a helicopter ride for picking your brain on some things.

Keep up the good work and documentation. It might seem like nobody is watching, but I assure you they are. I won't miss another post.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Wow, that was a long read. It was a good one too. I will probably read it again. Thankyou for documenting all that. You sound like a very solid young man. I would like to meet you some day. I have a friend that moved up NE of Nashville. I will almost certainly be going up there in the next year. I may PM you when it gets "for sure". Maybe I could trade you a helicopter ride for picking your brain on some things.

Keep up the good work and documentation. It might seem like nobody is watching, but I assure you they are. I won't miss another post.
    Thanks for the kind words man! That would be pretty awesome! We could introduce you to some members of the TN DeLorean Club with enough know ahead
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Im courious about your blue led door lights. Are they blue lens or clear with blue LEDs? Do you have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Im courious about your blue led door lights. Are they blue lens or clear with blue LEDs? Do you have a source?
    My lenses are Blue and have a SBL Blue LED behind them.

They can be ordered from Moldy Productions in either Blue, Green, Purple, or Clear.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7