FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: VIN 2022, LS Swap

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Holy jesus, that is a monster of a job summed up so fast.
    Incredibly impressive work. Wow!
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Its possible the automatic version of the 996 transmission that Josh used could be used, but physically fitting it would be a big hurdle as they are even taller and longer than the manual. Plus you need to figure out a standalone computer for it. Any auto transmission after the mid 90s are not going to be "dumb" and will require a functioning computer. Just another big amount of work.

Besides the Porsche 911, there aren't many rear engine cars with Auto transmissions.

The first proper automatic transmission for the 911 was in the '88 964 generation. This was a ZF 4HP22, used they go for about $1000 and should bolt up to the same adapter plate. This is a very common and decent quality transmission used in a lot of German cars in the late 80s and early 90s; very simple transmission compared to a modern automatic. it would not be that difficult to wire up electronically. However it is only a 4-speed and is only good for about 220 newton meters of torque hence the name for 4(speeds)HP22 (power rating.)

That transmission would be under a lot of stress with a stock GM V8. But it's possible somebody can rebuild it to handle more power.

However making it physically fit is still the big challeng As there is a drive shaft on the right side that would really dig into the frame where the passenger side trailing arm bolt is.

[End off topic ramble]

Quote Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
    ..., is this, or a similar type of engine, just as "easily" feasible with an automatic transmission or can you not really mix match motors with different brands of automatic trannies?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vwdmc16; 11-16-2019 at 09:55 PM.

My VIN:    03572

One thing I see with these V8 conversions is the axle shafts have a pretty large angle since the mounting must push it further forward. Is this going to cause reliability problems with the CV joints? I would think your goal is to make the engine mount a far back as possible.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Aren't these axles longer than stock too Josh?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    One thing I see with these V8 conversions is the axle shafts have a pretty large angle since the mounting must push it further forward. Is this going to cause reliability problems with the CV joints? I would think your goal is to make the engine mount a far back as possible.
    They have a spacer to increase their length (to provide adequate plunge) and larger cv joint boots to prevent ripping at the increased angle. Otherwise these are stock axles and CVs
    The angle you are observing is approximately 10-12 degrees, Porsche 930 style joints like these can be run up to 26 degrees before you run into major issues.
    Furthermore I have tens of thousands of miles on this increased angle setup in multiple cars, without an issue. I will agree they will wear out sooner but nothing in the realm of premature.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thank you for the comments guys feel free to ask questions

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    6125

Epic build. Thanks for sharing the photos and detailing the process for the rest of us.

My VIN:    05457

Love this! Certainly a dream build. Very well done, so clean! What a transformation!
    David Proehl

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

niiiiiiiiiice
    Last edited by opethmike; 11-18-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

awesome engine swap!

a quick question about this piece:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Wilwood clutch master cylinder, a smaller bore than stock to help lighten up the clutch pedal.
    is this master cylinder plug and play on the stock location? same thread for the clutch hose and reservoir hose adaptor?
    is the pedal feeling lighter?
    Thanks!
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast