FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: You may try and talk me out of getting a DeLorean

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Similarly, only done oil changes before owning the D, now done the clutch using floor jack, and now changing the fuel lines and plugs & wires...

It is a great chance that almost all the parts are available stock or improved/modified. If not, then there are people who will make them at some point, talented machinist or talented passionate owners...

My VIN:    5051

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Yup. People who are serious about ownership take a completely different path than this.

Hell, can we even call them ghosts now? Perhaps they're non-binary interdenominational entities that we're no longer allowed to call dead because they *identify* as "living".
    Now that is some funny bull *(&^ right there!

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I'm not, by any stretch, a "car guy" - despite watching numerous Netflix shows. I'm probably not going to be doing traditional mechanical work
    If this is true why would you want a Delorean?

If you don't really appreciate cars or know how to work on them, why get an old classic?
    Sounds like a modern mini van or typical 4-door would be much more convenient and easier.
    If you are not into cars get something normal and save a lot of cash. That is just my 2 cents.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    If this is true why would you want a Delorean?

If you don't really appreciate cars or know how to work on them, why get an old classic?
    Sounds like a modern mini van or typical 4-door would be much more convenient and easier.
    If you are not into cars get something normal and save a lot of cash. That is just my 2 cents.
    Maybe he doesn't have the time. I sure as hell don't have time to do major work on my car. I suppose I could leave my business for a day and fix it myself but why sacrifice a lot of money to save a little? It is possible to be a car guy and pay a shop to work on your car. I have been doing this very thing with my DeLorean for almost 11 years now and considering there are a half dozen Delorean shops that do nothing but DeLoreans I have to assume I am not alone.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    You guys asked for this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Is it really bacon if it's not made from meat?

Is almond milk really milk if it doesn't get squeezed from a teat? Wouldn't that technically make it nut juice?

Does the pointy end of the almond count as being a nipple? If so, would that allow almond milk to be classified as real milk? Or since the nipple itself is being ground up and consumed, would that make it almond nipple juice?

These are the important questions we need answers to.

Get One

Get One! You won't regret it.

So some practical questions (I'm sure I'll have more):

- What's rear visibility like when backing? I never got around to fitting a reversing camera, and the EOS's rear is high and rear window is small.
    PIETRUCK:>I installed a backup cam in mine and it works fantastic. I was able to find a model that fit into the standard radio slot so it didn't deter from classic look of dashboard.

- Is it a "compact". I know the doors much it much easier to park in confined spaces.
    PIETRUCK:>Easy to park. It's not a Smart car though - LOL

- Can a booster seat be stowed in the area behind the seats (small child)
    PIETRUCK:>Definitely NOT. Unless your small child is a set of golf clubs.

- There's no computer/ECU as such is there? I think this ought to be obvious from 1981, but I have to ask.

- Non leather interiors - I'm vegan, so any rework here is gonna be fabric or faux. Has anyone done this?
    PIETRUCK:>I haven't see any, but should be easy enough to make in cloth. Nothing special about the seats. Any place should be able to reupholster.

- My final concern here with the car is that it's gonna attract a huge amount of attention, especially as a DD. It's not really a car you'd want to leave unattended for a long, is it?
    PIETRUCK:>If you are into tech, use tech to solve your issue. There are lots of security systems you can integrate in with the Delorean if you are worried about people bothering it. I never had any issues personally. People like to look at it, but nobody has tried liberating it from my possession....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe he doesn't have the time. I sure as hell don't have time to do major work on my car. I suppose I could leave my business for a day and fix it myself but why sacrifice a lot of money to save a little? It is possible to be a car guy and pay a shop to work on your car. I have been doing this very thing with my DeLorean for almost 11 years now and considering there are a half dozen Delorean shops that do nothing but DeLoreans I have to assume I am not alone.
    Not really what I meant. Doesn't sound like he has tons of cash to throw at it for someone else to fix.
    Besides if someone is not interested in cars, probably less interested in the hassle of broken cars no matter who is fixing them.
    If I wasn't into something, I wouldn't slave over fixing it or pay someone to fix it.
    This is why I am not bothering to deal with the leather seats on my seats - no real interest in a vegan car or the troubles to make one happen.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    Not really what I meant. Doesn't sound like he has tons of cash to throw at it for someone else to fix.
    Besides if someone is not interested in cars, probably less interested in the hassle of broken cars no matter who is fixing them.
    If I wasn't into something, I wouldn't slave over fixing it or pay someone to fix it.
    This is why I am not bothering to deal with the leather seats on my seats - no real interest in a vegan car or the troubles to make one happen.
    I didn't realize the typical DeLorean was in a constant state of needing repair. Maybe I got a bad one?

Also it's a pretty big jump to assume someone who is considering a 35-40k car couldn't afford to pay 5 or 6 hours labor and parts to replace a waterpump or do a major service.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Modern cars are forgiving to inattention; this one is not. The vegan thing is stupid. The cows died in 1980. Rumor has it they were drunk on Guiness at the time they were slaughtered.
    Deep man, deep.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

This is a troll thread so...

The car is the most inefficient POS you can get...and there are no hemp interiors for this smogbucket. You can't use synthetic oil if you properly want to care for the engine. Straight petroleum (which is amusing since crude oil is squished plants).

PS: There is no cat on my car. Straight smog.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8