FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: VIN 4519: 14-year "garage find"

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Very nice looking stuff.

When you box the control arms, do you put drain holes in the lowest part? Is it completely sealed? Otherwise, I think it will rust from the inside. If it is sealed, you should "oil" the inside. Just drill a 1/8" hole and pour a small amount of linseed oil in. Then weld up the hole. After it cools, rotate the part several times to allow the oil to coat the inside. This is standard procedure for aircfart frames. It makes a big differnce.
    I also did mine in a very similar manner early this year. It's just plate steal welded on the bottom leaving it open from end to end. I don't think much water would be able to collect do to just simply driving the car. If one was really concerned about the little water that might be there you could just simply jack up the car and it would come out. If you're really particular you could wash them out with a hose.

Dave B.

My VIN:    4519

Very nice looking stuff.

When you box the control arms, do you put drain holes in the lowest part? Is it completely sealed? Otherwise, I think it will rust from the inside. If it is sealed, you should "oil" the inside. Just drill a 1/8" hole and pour a small amount of linseed oil in. Then weld up the hole. After it cools, rotate the part several times to allow the oil to coat the inside. This is standard procedure for aircfart frames. It makes a big differnce.

Thanks!

I didn't put drain holes in the lowest part, but I considered it. I won't know for sure until it's sitting on the wheels, but I think the opening near the ball joint will become the lowest point. I also think there's a low probability of water pooling in there, but I painted the inside and will be spraying it with corrosion prevention anyway. They aren't sealed; both ends are open, and there's a large opening below the shock mount.

20210716_173448.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Thanks!

I didn't put drain holes in the lowest part, but I considered it. I won't know for sure until it's sitting on the wheels, but I think the opening near the ball joint will become the lowest point. I also think there's a low probability of water pooling in there, but I painted the inside and will be spraying it with corrosion prevention anyway. They aren't sealed; both ends are open, and there's a large opening below the shock mount.

20210716_173448.jpg
    The other thing you could do since you have an opening is shove a tube down and spray under coat as you pull the tube out. Some under coat spray cans come with tubes, but you could probably take one from a wd40 can if not.

My VIN:    4519

The other thing you could do since you have an opening is shove a tube down and spray under coat as you pull the tube out. Some under coat spray cans come with tubes, but you could probably take one from a wd40 can if not.
    The corrosion protection spray I have comes with a tube that sprays in all directions.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16