FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vin 3430, The White one from BaT...

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    I share your excitement, but I do recommend you don't fire it up until you clean out the fuel system (minimum). From the condition of that engine, you should flush and inspect all fluids as well.
    Haha! I was kidding. yeah, its gonna need a lot of attention before its ready to start. It hasn’t been started since probably 2001 or so.

-Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loaded up and on the way to me!

My VIN:    10722

Congrats! Leave the white paint on it - it protects the stainless from scratches!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    Congrats! Leave the white paint on it - it protects the stainless from scratches!

Andy
    Haha! Thanks.

[QUOTE=andyo;255041]Thanks everyone!

So after considering the options for getting the car from PA to FL i decided to go ahead and have it shipped. I decided since the cost and time for me to drive up there and back was very close to what I was quoted by a auto shipper (Beacon Shipping) that it was the best way.

The Car came with a new windshield which added some complexity to the coordination, but the seller was willing to have it installed before shipment. That took care of the worry about how to get that part down here without adding cost or risking breakage.
    This will make any repairs i could have done to the A pillar trim or the dash panel with the windshield off harder later, but i can deal with that.

With that done and the deal closed it should be on the transporter early next week.

Its been great working with Frank at Miniobsession in West Chester who’s been brokering the deal for the seller.

In case you guys didn’t see the listing, here it is.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ean-dmc-12-28/

Cant wait to throw some gas in it and fire it up!

-Andy

The ad said the engine was seized, was that statement not true?

[QUOTE=The ad said the engine was seized, was that statement not true?[/QUOTE]

Just got it this morning, so I will be checking that this weekend.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post

The Car came with a new windshield which added some complexity to the coordination, but the seller was willing to have it installed before shipment. That took care of the worry about how to get that part down here without adding cost or risking breakage.
    This will make any repairs i could have done to the A pillar trim or the dash panel with the windshield off harder later, but i can deal with that.
    Did the seller support the roof section with a jig when replacing the windshield? Because the windshield is a structural support part, that needs to be done to prevent alignment issues due to the roof sagging when the windshield is out.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Did the seller support the roof section with a jig when replacing the windshield? Because the windshield is a structural support part, that needs to be done to prevent alignment issues due to the roof sagging when the windshield is out.
    I made sure that they knew it needed to be supported. And the doors closed asap after it was done.

Some pictures from my initial inspection. Lots of mouse droppings! I’ll be cleaning things up this weekend.

Update

Over the Weekend I removed the rear facia, and the muffler to gain better access to the engine compartment expecting to be pulling the engine soon. Found some fossils in the muffler (Look like chunks of coal, I assume they were chunks of the catalytic converter? getting new exhaust anyway) I put a wrench on the crank nut not thinking it was going to budge, but it actually turned with a bit of muscle. so the engine is NOT seized! I've removed the spark plugs from all the cylinders and they all look to be in good shape (no signs of corrosion/rust) and The fuel injectors also appear to be in decent shape (from the outside) plan to clean them and see if they can be reused. also ordered a Bluetooth borescope camera to visually inspect the cylinders using my phone as the display. should be fun!

One problem I'm trying to track down is the starter circuit, I removed the starter, cleaned it up and bench checked it good. But in the car it wont engage & turn. power is making it to the W/R wire on the solenoid and the battery lead has good voltage as well. also verified my car has the factory start circuit upgrade. I'm thinking its a grounding problem. I cleaned the bonding strap on the right side of the motor (motor mount to frame) and where the neg battery cable meets the frame... maybe not enough. I plan to jump a heavy gauge wire from the starter case to the negative side of the battery to see if that works and confirm my grounding theory.

I'll be checking compression and cleaning the fuel system in the coming weeks. I ordered all new fuel lines, filer, accumulator, pump, etc. so I'll be pushing to try and start if all looks ok.

-Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast