FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VIN: 2964 Engine: Electrical Wires Need Help!

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

I always love the frequent inappropriate use of electrical "wire nuts" in places they really shouldn't be. There are so many better ways to terminate and tap into electrical wiring. Using wire nuts you're just looking for trouble and it looks amateurish: corrosion, loose connections, etc. Personally, I always solder, use a lineman's splice, and shrink wrap connections whenever possible.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Those pics just make me cringe. Kudos to you for taking your time and restoring the wiring first. Yes it is a huge pain in the ass, but just keep positive and think about you will have a car you can ACTUALLY diagnose after it's all done!

Notifier is right... wire nuts are a huge cringe. I also can't stand seeing tons of butt splicers and vampire clips. I can understand one or two... but damn. My car had some kind of alarm system installed with a kill switch. Found the kill switch in a VERY hard to get to spot... im actually going to make that live again. All the old alarm wiring (which was actually cheap speaker wire!) was ripped out, all butt splicers and vamp clips removed, soldered, and shrink wrapped. It was a fun project, and believe it or not, little things started coming on, battery drains went away, lights worked! It was like Christmas!

You're on a good path. Just watch that soldering gun near that fuel tank!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    11596

Billy, are there any other DeLorean owners in your area? It will be a lot easier to have a stock car to compare to instead of taking photos of stuff. It's hard for us to poke and prod with a photo. i think your best bet is finding another owner you can compare with in person. Your wiring is definitely hacked up.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    2964

Yeah, I know! Even though it is a pain to correct all the wiring, in the end the car will be wired correctly! Properly wired and secure!!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Billy, are there any other DeLorean owners in your area? It will be a lot easier to have a stock car to compare to instead of taking photos of stuff. It's hard for us to poke and prod with a photo. i think your best bet is finding another owner you can compare with in person. Your wiring is definitely hacked up.

Andy
    I've seen through the forums and youtube owners who live in NY, but kinda far from me. I live in Queens. No one really close. PJ Grady is about an hour drive. And this car won't be really moving anymore till I correct all this wiring mess, along with the fuel pump wiring.

I know, sometimes its hard to tell from pictures.
    Last edited by 1batt4u; 06-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As bad as hacked up wiring looks it is not all that hard to figure out how to dissect out the non-original stuff and fix up the mess. I also cringe when I see wire nuts, it is a BIG indicator that the last person didn't know what they were doing and the WHOLE wiring system in the car should be thoroughly inspected and repaired. To do proper repairs things should be soldered and either taped up or covered with heat-shrink tubing. You really can't do any work properly on the electrical system till you have removed all of the "alien" components.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16409

I had several butt splicers on the brown wires running behind the rear carpet board and through the relay compartment. I think at some point some wires melted and butt splicers were used to make the repairs. I had to remove lots of electrical tape to see what had went on. I really dislike electrical tape because when it gets old, it leaves behind a sticky mess. After I soldered and heat shrink wrapped the wires, I decided to rewrap my wires with silicone tape. I really like that stuff, no sticky mess. You just need to be careful when you apply it, because it sticks to itself really good.
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 06-04-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

As far as the fuel pump stock harness, this is the correct below??

This is stock wire and plug??

Black wire on the plug is cut off as well as the Beige/brown and has a yellow cap on it. The fuel sender unit plug, Red and Orange or yellow are plugged to the sender unit, there is a black on not connected to anything. Any idea??

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    As far as the fuel pump stock harness, this is the correct below??

This is stock wire and plug??

Black wire on the plug is cut off as well as the Beige/brown and has a yellow cap on it. The fuel sender unit plug, Red and Orange or yellow are plugged to the sender unit, there is a black on not connected to anything. Any idea??
    Yup, that's a stock plug. W/P is 12v, black is ground. Normally they run into your front harness. What's left of the originals are probably dangling up by your fans.

The black wire that doesn't seem connected to anything (if I'm seeing it right) is a ground at the filler cap to avoid sparks.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

So once I get a new fuel pump, which I need, I just connect those 2 wires to it, Black(-) white/purple(+)??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast