FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to - What is the Best Way to a change the Transaxle Fluid?

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

How to - What is the Best Way to a change the Transaxle Fluid?

I am doing some work under my car and decided to change the transaxle fluid. Can someone point me to a “How To...” or post a step by step (photos would be great) on the best procedure to change the transaxle fluid? And to that end what is the best fluid to use? castrol? redline?

Thanks and stay safe.
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

My VIN:    6125

I know there was a DIY around here at some point, although it may have been on the old .com site. I've done it before and it's not too difficult.

Best practice is to remove the fill plug before the drain plug so that if for some reason it is stuck and cannot be removed then you won't have already drained all the fluid out. Then you can still drive the car to a shop for help removing the fill plug, etc. Both the fill/drain plugs should have the same square size tool needed as the engine oil drain plug.

After removing the fill plug, remove the drain plug, replace drain plug and fill from the fill hole until the fluid starts dribbling out. I used a small fluid transfer pump like this one which worked relatively fast:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-63144.html

These types of hand pumps are also available that screw directly into a gear oil bottle:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-o...ump-61746.html

but those take FOREVER since they pump like .05 oz with every pump, so it takes like a thousand pumps to fill your transmission. Plus they tend to break easily . So overall, not ideal.

For the gear oil itself this thread should be helpful. I just used regular old 80W-90 gear oil. If you decided to go with synthetic stuff just make sure that it's the non-limited slip diff version since apparently that can cause synchro engagement issues when used in a transaxle. I've heard good things about redline MT90.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?54...on-fluid-(MTF)
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-06-2020 at 09:31 AM.

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Both the fill/drain plugs should have the same square size tool needed as the engine oil drain plug.
    I think the trans plugs are different than the engine oil drain plug (at least on a manual?). This is what the trans fill plug looks like:
    delorean-magnetic-gearbox-drain-plug.jpg

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    I think the trans plugs are different than the engine oil drain plug (at least on a manual?). This is what the trans fill plug looks like:
    10 mm square on the manual. Avoid using pliers or a crescent wrench if it's tight, you'll just round off the corners. Snap-On actually has the correct socket. PMP410.

The automatic uses the same socket as the engine on all three plugs.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Trans Fluid

Thanks. Assuming Autoparts stores are considered “essential businesses” and are open
    Tomorrow I will pick up some Redline fluid and try to change it. Will let you know! Thanks Jason
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    Thanks. Assuming Autoparts stores are considered “essential businesses” and are open
    Tomorrow I will pick up some Redline fluid and try to change it. Will let you know! Thanks Jason
    Don't use Redline fluid. You won't like how it shifts. (I tried it). The recommended Redline fluid is called 75W90NS, but I found that it was too slick for proper operations of the synchros. Stick with plain old non-synthetic 75W90.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3191

First just make sure you have the correct 10mm drain plug socket. I found one on amazon that was $6. I asked Danny at DMC SoCal what fluid they use, and he told me they use MobilubeHD Plus 80w90. It works great in my car. I think I had original stuff in mine till last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    10 mm square on the manual. Avoid using pliers or a crescent wrench if it's tight, you'll just round off the corners. Snap-On actually has the correct socket. PMP410.

The automatic uses the same socket as the engine on all three plugs.
    Ah yeah, my bad. I knew it was square but forgot it was the male type and not the female type like the eng oil drain. It's been a while since I changed it last, probably due to replace the fluid in mine again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cone View Post
    First just make sure you have the correct 10mm drain plug socket. I found one on amazon that was $6. I asked Danny at DMC SoCal what fluid they use, and he told me they use MobilubeHD Plus 80w90. It works great in my car. I think I had original stuff in mine till last year!

CTA Tools 2037 Square Head Drain Plug Socket - 10-Millimeter $5 plus shipping on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-203.../dp/B00GLWKGDW

That would be a male socket for a 10mm female plug.

For the female socket needed on the male trans drain/fill plugs I think this is the one he was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-204...81&s=hi&sr=1-1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast