FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: VIN 5510 - Bill's DeLorean Restoration

My VIN:    5510

FIRST DRIVE!!!

Fantastic! Too bad it wasn?t nicer weather. I imagine it wasn?t good for ?full on? excellerating or braking. Is the only thing you hear tire noise? Or is there some motor noise. I guess that will change some as you button up the interior.

Good job! Can?t wait for next video.

Definitely would have been better if it was a bit warmer! We're hovering just above freezing temps at the moment, which is about as good as we can ask for this time of year.

Acceleration is currently limited because the car is in "propulsion limited mode". Since I haven't hooked up the wheel speed sensors, the car doesn't know how fast it is going and it limits the output. I'll do a 0-60 test once I've got that fixed.

Almost all of the noise is tire noise, but there is a sci-fi sounding 'whiiiiiz' that comes from the electric motor.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I left a comment on your YT page. Excellent achievement sir!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

This last month has been pretty awesome.

As you can see with my recent video - the DeLorean EV is alive! I had the first drive on January 13th, and it went brilliantly. Since then the car has sat while I focus on other things.

On that list - we are now an EV-Only house! Late December we took delivery of our new 2023 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition. GREAT car! And then just two days ago I purchased a 2022 Ford F150 Lightning Pro. I've never owned a truck before, but living out here in central Washington we really do have a frequent need. We still have to sell the old car, but that should be pretty straight forward.

Purchases
    • Wire in 12awg (50 feet), 20awg (1400 feet), 22awg (900 feet) - WireBarn - $275
    • BTTF Plutonium box stickers - eBay - $7
    • Shifter mount plate, Manual Service Disconnect mount, small battery module lid - SendCutSend - $93
    • Tail lamp control module - GM Parts Direct - $34
    • Tinned copper braid sleeving in 3/4" and 1/2" (EMI Shielding) - Amazon - $60
    • 10 feet of 1/0 welding cable - Amazon - $70
    • Various sized wire crimps - Amazon - $62
    • Load resistors for turn signals - Amazon - $9

Tools
    • Air line parts for air compressor - Amazon

Do you have lots of solar panels for charging?

We don't yet - but we are planning to get as many as will fit on the roof in a couple of years.

What makes it hard is that our electricity is already super cheap and over 90% is wind, the remaining is hydro, so there just isn't a big financial or green incentive.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by CyberBill View Post
    We don't yet - but we are planning to get as many as will fit on the roof in a couple of years.

What makes it hard is that our electricity is already super cheap and over 90% is wind, the remaining is hydro, so there just isn't a big financial or green incentive.
    Also, the PNW is not exactly known for its copious sunshine. Nor is Western PA, for that matter.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Also, the PNW is not exactly known for its copious sunshine. Nor is Western PA, for that matter.
    Panel efficiencies are going up as costs are going down. We're in a similarly cloudy area and are on track for 10-12yr system payoff. You might be surprised.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread for so long! Doing an electric conversion has long been a goal of mine. While I'm very comfortable with the wiring side of things, I'm not much of fabricator. My hope is one day somebody comes out with a conversion kit at which point I could then simply bolt it all in without having to do a bunch of fabrication. Hopefully that happens before my PRV suffers some sort of catastrophic failure. My D is the last ICE vehicle I now own, so it really sucks having to get gas for it and only it when both my other EVs just refuel at home.

I'm now subscribed to your channel and can't wait for the next video to come out! Hopefully in the future you can also start driving it out to the Seattle area PNDC tech sessions as I would love to see it in person.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast