FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 5510 - Bill's DeLorean Restoration

My VIN:    5510

I guess it's been a couple of months, so I should do an update!

I've done two more videos since the last update. First shows the process of buying the donor 2019 Chevy Bolt on Copart: https://youtu.be/aVaQtd0LQRI
    Second one goes over how I fixed some trouble codes and got the donor running and driving: https://youtu.be/xeBpbdhsARU
    Third video will be released in the next week or two (already written and mostly recorded, but needs to be edited) will go over fixing some final error codes and getting the Bolt driving down the street at speeds far higher than is safe.

The Bolt does 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, and with a few hundred pounds removed it's probably closer to 6.0 - so it's QUICK!! Even without the backend.

Current status is that the DeLorean is sitting empty, with no engine, transmission, or fuel tank. The engine was sold for $2500 and transmission for $1500. The Bolt is fully running and driving, but I'm pretty much stalled waiting for GM to handle the battery recall going on right now. I'm expecting to get a new battery - but it might be months away. I'll try to be as patient as I can and distract myself with other projects. At this rate I'll be happy if I can get the Bolt disassembled by the end of the year.

Another couple of months have gone by!

Current status is that a lot has progressed on the situation with the Chevy Bolt and its battery recall. GM made the decision to replace the battery packs in all Chevy Bolts produced, and to do this in a prioritized manner where higher risk Bolts would be replaced first. Some analysis of the fires showed that cars manufactured in a certain date range were roughly 30x more likely to catch fire, and mine was in that range. My Bolt is currently sitting at the nearest EV Certified Chevrolet dealer awaiting replacement. The battery is on order and should get replaced in the next couple of weeks.

The DeLorean is sitting mostly as it was 2 months ago (no engine, transmission, or fuel system), except the rear interior panels have all been removed, the bulkhead connectors are removed, and the engine bay is covered in 3d-scanner markers and matting spray. I've made multiple attempts to 3d scan the engine bay with not great results. If I can get some success, I think it's going to make the EV conversion process MUCH easier - plus I'll be able to 3d print out parts and test fit them as a scale model.

I've decided to take all of December off from work, which will give me some much needed rest and time to work on the conversion!

Quick update!

The Chevy Bolt is back home, sitting in the shop, currently on the charger. It has a brand new battery which will be removed and disassembled here in the next week.

Time for another short update! I also realized I didn't put my recent EV purchases in the same format, so I'll do that properly now so it's easier to scan through and compile a total price.

The Bolt is now fully stripped down, and I've posted some items that I won't use up for sale on the ChevyBolt forum. I've also completed my initial designs of the battery box and cooling system. I'll have videos of those in the future.

I've also starting purchasing items for the conversion. In addition to the long list of tools and organizational supplies for the shop, I've also got some supplies for the battery packs - heat shrink tubing, 20 feet of 24-gauge wire in various colors, 25 feet of 2/0 cable in black and red, 2/0 cable lugs, BMS connectors (male & female to make extensions), 30 meters of all-thread, and some SB350 Anderson connectors (rated for 500A).

On the cooling side I've ordered 4 copper manifolds with 1/2" outlets, 1/2" elbows, 1/2" bulkhead fittings, 25 feet of 1/2" tubing, some custom cut aluminum plate, and TONS of hose clamps.

Purchases:
    • 2019 Chevy Bolt donor vehicle - $13,230 - Copart & others
    • Wires, cable, heat shrink, etc - $335 - Amazon
    • Manifolds, elbows, bulkhead fittings, tubing - $260 - Amazon
    • Battery BMS connectors - $50 - Digi-Key
    • 30 meters of M6-1.0 all-thread - $100 - Grainger
    • Custom-cut cooling plate inserts - $900 - SendCutSend
    • 8x 350A Anderson connectors, handles, boots - $315 - Powerwerx

Sales:
    • DeLorean engine - $2,500
    • DeLorean transmissions - $1500

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Any worries about battery fires? I'm not up to speed on the Bolt but wasn't every production car built recalled?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Any worries about battery fires? I'm not up to speed on the Bolt but wasn't every production car built recalled?
    Not anymore!

My Bolt was one of the first to get the battery replaced from the recall, so there should no longer be a risk of fire.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by CyberBill View Post
    Not anymore!

My Bolt was one of the first to get the battery replaced from the recall, so there should no longer be a risk of fire.
    Cool. Specific reason you chose GM over Tesla components?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Cool. Specific reason you chose GM over Tesla components?
    Oh yeah, lots! I've got a video that covers it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCv...el=BillCarlson

tl;dw: Technical manual availability, tools availability, serviceability, and price... to name a few.

I have some additional purchases! I think this mostly rounds out everything I need to build the battery boxes and get the motor mounted. The motor is now placed appropriately in the vehicle and I took measurements for custom CV shafts from The Drive Shaft Shop. Those specs went out yesterday evening, though I don't expect to get them for a few weeks at least. I also had a near miss with the battery boxes. Once the motor was in place I made a cardboard mockup of the rear battery box and found that it didn't quite fit! I was easily 2" short! I had failed to take into account where the motor would sit when I was measuring, so I'm very VERY glad that I did this check now before I started building anything. I quickly redesigned the pack - I moved the rear most battery module from the back to being under the other modules, and it should fit now with ample room to spare.

I need to take a day to work on some non-car stuff, then I'll be teaching myself how to tig weld.

Purchases:
    • Steel angle, flat bar, steel plates - enough to make the battery boxes and motor mounts - $1065 - Metal Super Markets
    • Engine-swap motor mounts and transmission mount - $93 - Amazon
    • Nuts, washers, button head screws, and U-Bolts - $115 - BoltDepot
    • PEX tubing and reducer fittings - $56 - HomeDepot

Sales:
    • Chevy Bolt Rear headrest - $100

It's been about a month and I'm ready for another update.

I designed and built some motor mounts for the electric motor from the Bolt - honestly, it feels like this motor was built to go in the DeLorean. It fits perfectly. I'm using an LS-swap mount kit that had 2 poly mounts and some 1/4" mild steel plate. I had to teach myself how to TIG weld, which took about a week or so to get competent enough to weld the mounts together. With a little tweaking the motor went in and is almost perfectly aligned. There is roughly 1/8" difference in the position of the output shafts. The Drive Shaft Shop wanted me to wait until I had the positioning locked in, so the info has now been kicked off to them.

The battery modules have been broken down as far as I need to take them, which includes cutting some mounting plates off of each one and removing some long threaded rod that connects the modules together into sections. I've got my own threaded rods cut to size and have a nut positioned and loctite'd into place on each, and I think tonight I'll get those all installed back in the modules and tightened down so they aren't so delicate. They basically lose all structural stability without the rods in place.

I'm on my 3rd iteration of the design for the battery boxes - I'm pretty happy with how the design looks now and will start manufacturing the boxes in the coming weeks.

The design for the cooling system is also complete and I will begin working on manufacturing the cooling plates. I have all materials on hand, including the 3d laser cut aluminum plates that route the water, end plates, and hose barb fittings.

Purchases:
    • 1/2" weldable aluminum hose barbs - $180 - ICT Billet
    • M8 and M10 nuts and bolts for motor and battery mounts - $61 - BoltDepot

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast